Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Memorial candles question

>

momteach310

Memorial candles question
Old 01-14-2020, 04:23 PM

We have lived next to this couple for close to 30 years. They do not socialize or even come out of their house except to go to work. We rarely see them and then just a wave. The woman’s brother and wife live across the street and we do occasionally talk to him. Their mother passed away last month. She was very sick for a long time. She did not live with either of my neighbors. The daughter has put a cross and spotlights on it at the edge of the property by the road , suburban street. I have only ever seen these at a cemetery or on a road where someone may have lost their life tragically. It seems an odd place to place them. Especially since they don’t ever walk by them to enter their house from the driveway. They also can’t see them from in their house due to trees, etc. Is this normal? Do people do this in other areas? I know people grieve differently, but it’s kind of creepy where it’s located. They don’t affect us - just curious.

momteach310 is online now   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 01-14-2020, 04:41 PM

I agree it's odd. It seems unusual to put a memorial where strangers will see it but they won't be able to see it themselves - unless that spot was the spot she passed or somehow special to their mother?
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 01-14-2020, 05:15 PM

She passed in the hospital and previously was in assisted living type housing.if it snows, the plows will be burying it because it's close to the street.

kahluablast

Old 01-14-2020, 06:57 PM

I rarely see many of my neighbors. They might even say about me that I only go out to go to work, which is not completely true, but I could see them saying that (I say it about them and it might not be true - just I don't see them).

I actually love the idea of putting a memorial in the yard. I do have neighbors that I know in passing but really don't socialize with them. One in particular that I think may have passed. I can't find any info on it, but I never see her either. I see her dh and I want to ask, but I don't want it to be awkward. So, I just don't know. If there had been a memorial in her yard, I might have seen it and know for sure. I would like that.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Memorial
Old 01-15-2020, 09:39 AM

In the past, families would hang a black wreath on the door to announce a death in the family. My mom has mentioned this a few times. I also found this article about it. It was a "thing" in Victorian times.
https://theinspiredfuneral.com/blog/1884

Last edited by Coopsgrammy; 01-15-2020 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: add link
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 01-15-2020, 03:11 PM

Coopersgranny - I love the white lily mourning wreath. I never heard of doing that before.

I think was confuses me the most is where the memorial is placed. If you knew my street you would probably also be scratching your head. It isn't one of those neighborhoods where everyone knows everyone and socializes.
Obviously it must bring her comfort regardless.