Help

The VENT

stressed beyond belief

>

dramafree62

stressed beyond belief
Old 01-19-2020, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

On Friday, I was emailing the counselor because I felt like one of my students needed to see her. Previously we had a transition meeting concerning this student(she had been hospitlized). This was a my pre ap class (Klevel) class. I noticed that one of my students had moved to the back. When I went back to talk to her, I noticed that there was a notebook wire stuck in the wall socket. I found out that 4 of my angels had put it in the socket while i was occupied with the other student. My administrator had me write a statement and i was out of my class for 2 class periods. Of course, parents were contacted. I am sick over this. It has been a rough year. This is not a good fit for me. I am under contract. Can they put me on administrative leave? I have contacted ATPE and they said to be transparent with my administrators which i have. I am worried sick over this. Previously a sped student made accusations against me which proved to be not true.. I have stated to the interim principal that i felt like this school was not a good fit and that i would be resigning at the end of the year. His reply was well if you did that the consequences would be different. I am so confused. I want to honor my contract but this environment is toxic to me. Any suggestions. ATPE says to not resign yet even if i am resigning effective the last day of the term because it could be construed as if i am admitting guilt. Help

dramafree62 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 01-19-2020, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wait, what? Admitting guilt? Why are YOU in trouble for this, and the STUDENTS not in trouble for this?! They purposely misbehaved, and are certainly old enough to know better.

These are pre-AP students, who are not toddlers, nor disabled and operating on the level of a toddler. They were 100% in control of their actions.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Old 01-19-2020, 10:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with TeenyTiny. I teach 4th and the know better than that! You canít keep your eye on every student at all times! I meet with small groups every day and I need to be able to trust the rest of the class to behave. Those kids were at fault and parents need to be notified and suspension should happen! Parents should have to pay for the damaged socket too!
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-19-2020, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my 27 years over had kids put paper clips, spiral notebook wire, pencils, paper, magnets, and not telling what else in outlets. In every case, the student was in trouble.

I have lots of outlets, and I keep child covers on them because kids are stupid.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 01-20-2020, 01:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wait! What?! You should not be in trouble for this. Your students should be the ones in trouble for this.

desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 01-20-2020, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ima makes a good point.

Perhaps the school admin is actually liable for not covering the "dangerous" outlets with child proof covers.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Room_916

The students are at fault
Old 01-20-2020, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

OP, let me understand this.

1. Pre AP students put wires in the electric sockets. To me, pre AP means 10th or 11th grade. The kids did this, not you. On top of the fact that putting foreign objects in an electric socket is very stupid and something no one would ever anticipate from pre AP HS students, Iím positive they were sneaky about it. Itís not like they would have brought attention to what they were doing. This is NOT your fault.

2. When you told your interim principal about the incident, you were told that if you resign or not at the end of the year that will affect your consequences for the outlet incident. Ummm.... What!?!?!? *You* should NOT be facing any consequences regardless. The students should be facing consequences, not you. Resign, donít resign. Your decision to resign should have zero bearing on this matter.

3. Personally, I would definitely resign because your admin sounds ridiculous and you say the place is toxic. It sounds toxic if HS students are doing dangerous things and the teachers are the ones who face consequences. However, I would follow the advice of ATPE and wait to the very last moment to make your resignation official. Leave this position off your resume, if you can. (I understand that may not be an option.)

Best wishes to you, OP.
Room_916 is offline   Reply With Quote