Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do you remember...

>

KatieViolet

Do you remember...
Old 01-22-2020, 10:08 AM

who gave you which wedding gifts?

Dh and I have been married 12 years, so not as long ago as some, but can only remember a handful of gifts/who they came from. But I think of these people every time I use the gift! Among them:
  • wooden plaque with our wedding invitation made by an older couple from church (now deceased)
  • video camera from my dad's friend, which we used for years until we got smart phones. Have several tapes of old videos, but we can't view them because the tech is so old the camera won't connect to our TV
  • cookbook and collection of recipes from an older woman (also deceased) 2 of our all time favorite recipes come from this book
  • silverware from my best friends
  • TWO copies of the same "Marriage Advice" gift book, both with handwritten notes inside (We've honestly never really read them, but we always joke that if we ever get divorced, then we can each have one )

We got many other beautiful and special gifts, but I can't really remember who gave what. I feel a little guilty about that. It also makes me wonder what gifts I've given that people will have around their house forever and think of me every time they use them.

KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 01-22-2020, 10:16 AM

I remember a few. We got a couple of the canvas folding chairs with covers from good friends of mine. We had a mouse in the garage that chewed a hole in one and DH lost one this year when he left it behind after a field hockey game. I think after 18 years they got their money's worth on them!

We have a wooden chip bowl with a pretty dip bowl. It was a gift from friends my father-in-law made on a cruise. I thought it was very strange (and very nice) that people he had met once (and had never met us) would send us a gift.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

gifts
Old 01-22-2020, 10:19 AM

i have a few...and it has been 51 years.

A fluted milk glass bowl from my next door neighbors-we use it every holiday to serve a special fruit salad
A ruby red sandwich glass bowl from the pastor of the church I was attending...holds the cranberry sauce
Salt/Pepper Shaker set from DH Training Sargent
The pillow cases from the daisy print sheet set my great aunt gave us. The sheets were double bed size. They do not make bedding like that any more.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-22-2020, 12:44 PM

45 years and I still have a crystal decanter (from DH’s best friend) which used to hold bourbon and a much-used salad bowl (from a friend of my mom).
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by amiga13; 01-22-2020 at 03:56 PM..
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 01-22-2020, 01:28 PM

We've been married 50 years and most of our wedding gifts have been given away. I still have the china pieces and one gold serving tray that is lovely by today's standards. When I cleared the clutter from my home i realized that keeping the items I no longer use was pointless. My kids don't want them so out the door they went. No regrets.

I do have one gift that I never used but kept because of my dark humor. It is a silver-plated princess telephone handle cover. Honestly! We were poor newlyweds and didn't have a princess telephone but thought it was funny that DH's rich aunt thought we could use it. It's selling for $20.00 oni eBay but it still makes me chuckle.

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 01-22-2020, 01:40 PM

We have been married twenty years and I don’t really remember who gave what.
I have a crystal bowl we still use.
I have all of the Christmas ornaments and decorations we were given and we still put them out. I do remember who gave us some of those.
I just had to get rid of an air pop popcorn maker. Yes, it lasted twenty years!
Most people gave money, from what I can remember.
owl98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 01-22-2020, 02:05 PM

I’m from NJ and we only get actual wrapped gifts at the shower. It’s usually money at a wedding.

For my shower though I remember who gave me what mostly 11 years later. A friend of my mom’s gave me a beautiful Le Creuset Dutch oven. I think of her every time I use it.

Last edited by Jackie; 01-22-2020 at 03:27 PM..
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 01-22-2020, 02:16 PM

I only remember homemade things either from the wedding or the shower.

-a crocheted barbie and a fabric covered photo album from my aunt
- a fabric covered video case and the video from a different aunt
- one friend gave us a musical plaque and it's long gone.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-22-2020, 02:31 PM

Coming up on 38 years, so I don't really remember many, but I do have a heavy crystal vase that came from a very good male friend. He was just a friend. He used to always joke he wished he could catch me when we were both between relationships. I'm pretty sure he's not still waiting.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

jmb

Old 01-22-2020, 03:06 PM

39 years ago this month..WOW! my mother got me a wedding book and as I opened each gift she had me write what it was, who gave it and a description. She said it would help when I wrote thank-you notes and it did. I still have the book but we had at least 150 at the wedding and I know I don't have all the gjfts.

jmb is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 01-22-2020, 03:12 PM

Yes, I remember a few of who gave which item.

But, what I really remember mostly are the nice personalities of some of the gift givers and some nice things they said to me!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Wedding gifts
Old 01-22-2020, 03:45 PM

Yes, I remember who gave me what and still use a lot of them.

Nativity crèche from my parents
Sewing machine from MIL
And small Orrofors crystal dish from a SIL’s mother

My favorite wedding gift memory? A huge pasta bowl that I didnt actually open when I got it. When I unwrapped box, it was a mini golf something or other. Thought it was a joke gift for DH. We never opened the box. Sent thank you note to his cousin. She responded “open the box, dumb a**”. (We we’re not offended). Hilarity ensued when we finally opened the box. Still use it.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Queenie Peavy

Wedding Gifts
Old 01-22-2020, 04:32 PM

DH and I have been married for almost 38 years. My best friend from childhood gave us crystal salt and pepper shakers. I still have them. My mom's best friend gave us sheets with pink dogwoods on them. They are long gone. My neighbor across the street gave me a mint green nightgown. I tossed it when I outgrew it!
Queenie Peavy is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-22-2020, 04:36 PM

We didn't do a big wedding and didn't get a lot of presents. We didn't register or ask for any fancy stuff. I remember who gave me my blender, my hand mixer, and my electric knife.

No regrets.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-22-2020, 04:45 PM

I remember a few items from my first wedding in 2000. They were unique sorts of things which made them memorable. We asked for no gifts for our second wedding in 2016 because we were trying to downsize two established households into one.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 01-22-2020, 05:25 PM

First wedding:
Aunt- silver candlesticks (son has them and uses them as part of his Halloween decorations)

BIL/SIL - the biggest, most hideous cookie jar you have ever seen (SIL loved cookie jars. H used it to store something on his work bench in the cellar.)

Cousin - two pictures (lovely, hung in house for years)

Friend -hand mixer (when I went to use it months later I realized it was so light because it was assembled without a motor. Store replaced it and I am still using it)

SIL/BIL - pewter tray (use it when entertaining),

BIL - set of silverware for 8 (still use it)

Second wedding

No gifts please. We have two houses to cram into one.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Some!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:12 PM

After 35 years I can remember many of the gifts and who gave them, but certainly not all. A few are still in use, some never made it to the tenth anniversary like a HUGE soup tureen from one of DH's work friends. We always suspected it was a re-gift. When we were married that expression wasn't even in anyone's vocabulary.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 01-22-2020, 10:37 PM

I've been married for 6 years and still remember who gave many of my shower and wedding gifts. I do have it all written down somewhere!

My grandmother gave us our dishes (which turned out to chip very easily and we rarely use now)
My aunts all went together to get us lamps for the shower and my KitchenAid mixer for the wedding.
2 family friends got us our Keurig and grill press...I'm not sure which gave which!
A neighbor gave me a clothes drying rack at my shower - which I still use daily!
A friend of my mom's made us a gorgeous Christmas quilt.
Another friend and her family got me my Dutch Oven.
I got a beautiful tea cup as a shower gift from an older lady at church.

I remember who gave a lot of my baby gifts too, though I wish I'd written who gave it in each book I got at DD's shower. I'm about to put DS down in the bassinet family friends gave us, in a sleeper another friend's mom bought.
Paddlegurl is online now   Reply With Quote

daffodils

gifts
Old 01-23-2020, 01:55 AM

We've been married 10 years. I remember a few

Pewter glasses with our initials from my parents. My kids love them so much, for their birthdays last year my mom gave them each their own glass with their initials

Large wool blanket from my aunt and uncle

Vacuum from one of my bridesmaids. I was shocked she gave it to us b/c it wasn't cheap and we'd really only put it on the list b/c we wanted the registry completion discount on it! But later I realized she was from NYC and I guess they do bigger gifts there!

My maid of honor was a make up artist and did all our make up at the wedding as her gift and then also made me a 'snap shots" wedding album after--all the fun, silly, and cute photos that you don't necessarily put in your regular album but are fun memories. She also had me sit down and tell her everyone's names and she did captions on all the photos. Which at the time seemed silly but 10 years later, we definitely aren't still friends with everyone and remembering their names is much easier with labels!

Fancy coffee maker from DH's aunt and uncle. It unfortunately broke in a move a few years ago

A nice cake platter was from one of my mom's friends at my shower, but I don't remember which one

MASSIVE salt and pepper grinders from a friend. We used for years and they barely went down in size and eventually gave them to our housekeeper when we lived overseas and were moving and cutting down on stuff

We were young and setting up a home. Most of our requests were pretty practical stuff. So while we still use a lot of them, I don't remember who gave what.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 01-23-2020, 05:05 AM

42 years, so most of the appliance type things have long bit the dust and been replaced. Dh was still in seminary, so we were dirt poor, and actually appreciated the practical items more than the "timeless".

But-it is the "fancy" things mostly that we still have:
-handmade quilt from my grandma
-china set from my parents
-various pieces of cut glass (vases, candy dishes) that sit in the china cabinet, and will be one of the first victims of downsizing

Actually, we still eat everyday on our Mikasa pottery dishes we got.
However, we've replaced so many pieces, so many times, that they probably are not our originals!
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 01-23-2020, 06:34 PM

I remember a few things, but we don't have most of them anymore. It's been 28 years. You're right, I did think about them every time we used them.

One big thing was getting many iced tea makers. I remember one lady who gave us one. We had ONE on our register and apparently people bought them and didn't tell the register. We ended up taking back all except one and bought a TV with the money.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote