Help

The VENT

My new school is a hot mess

>

hikinghiker

My new school is a hot mess
Old 01-05-2020, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

and I'm still SO much more excited to be there!

Here is the hot mess part:

1. Just found out tonight (school starts again tmmrw) that my staff ID doesn't work which means I can't access anything until I hear from IT on why it's saying I'm an invalid user. Kinda embarrassed to tell my principal/AP that because I don't want them to think I'm computer incompetent and that I leave everything to last minute (which I definitely did this break), but it is what it is.

2. I only got my roster yesterday

3. I haven't gotten a whole tour of the school yet (It's HUGE) and don't even know where to pick my kids up tomorrow morning

4. Haven't met any other teachers and don't have curriculum yet

5. As a continuation of my first point, I can't access anything online, e even the district playbook since my ID isn't working

6. The school website is such a mess that the emails aren't even linked up property due to a bunch of admin/office staff changes this year

Here's why that hot mess is still 100% better than my last school (with corresponding numbers too )

1. The principal and AP aren't rude. So even if they're thinking that I'm really dumb and needy, they will be REALLY nice about it. Versus my last principal who was rude all the time.

2. I have 15 kids! So. Excited. And they really tried hard to balance boys and girls and behaviors for me, which I really appreciate.

3. The AP told me that she'd hang out with my tomorrow morning and make sure I was settled in and to just call her if I needed any help.

4. AP showed me around their rooms so I could see their schedules and...the best part ever.....I CAN MAKE MY OWN SCHEDULE. I am so stoked. At my last school I had to do the same thing as every other teacher and couldn't change anything without admin approval. So when my bossy co-teacher wanted something to be at a certain time, it had to be then. Also, they said I don't need curriculum yet this week since they want me to relationship build only. What an amazing blessing to have understanding admin. Also, they said they'd show me to the curriculum closet later to get everything I needed.

5. Honestly not even too worried about not being able to access anything. This school seems so much less stressful and high intensity. No one is looking over my shoulder and I get the sense that that will continue all year. AP has mentioned observations but she doesn't seem too intimidating. In fact, I'm kinda excited for her to come in because I get the sense that she's knowledgeable, calm, and knows her stuff. And if she doesn't like something, she won't be rude about it, she'll just tell me.

6.I couldn't get any email addresses to get access to the building over the weekend. I have keys, but no alarm code set up for me yet. My AP emailed me about my room and when she heard that I wanted to come in, she emailed the office herself to get an alarm code, and when that wasn't possible on such a short notice, she came in on her Sunday afternoon to hang out while I finished my room. I felt kinda guilty and kept apologizing but she told me that she'd help whenever needed.

SO all in all...a hot mess that I 100% feel like a better fit in.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Enjoy
Old 01-05-2020, 10:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

your much better school and class.

Have a good time with the students as you set up expectations and routines.

The kids will be able to (and excited to) lead you to the library, the lunch room, the music room, computers, etc.

what an amazing AP!
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
mds2

mds2

Old 01-06-2020, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Don't be embarrassed about the ID. I'm sure it is not the first time this has happened to someone new. Let that be one of the first things you tell the AP and P. Is it possible that it will be turned on on your official first day?

NJ Teacher

Sounds wonderful...
Old 01-06-2020, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Despite the organizational challenges, the people in leadership sound amazing. They get it and are willing to go the extra mile to help you. Good luck!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 01-06-2020, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow! So glad your first day went well This is wonderful to read 2 fabulous new job first day posts

P.S. how did it end at your other school with your P? Did she hold your check?

Last edited by Violets2; 01-06-2020 at 04:43 PM..
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

bayteacher97

Old 01-06-2020, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This new school sounds like a blessing! I hope you settle in beautifully. Congrats!! I believe you will work through the many kinks of being new.
bayteacher97 is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Update
Old 01-08-2020, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I LOVE THIS SCHOOL! I never released how unhappy I could be at a school until now, now that I'm so freaking happy. I left school today and had so much energy. I took the dog to the park, cooked a nice dinner, and am just so excited to work here.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 01-08-2020, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yippee!!! So happy for you!
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote