Help

The VENT

Teacher Certification Renewal and Questions

>

kbbr

Teacher Certification Renewal and Questions
Old 01-08-2020, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Should I renew my certification and keep searching for a teaching position, or should I just give up at this point?

I hold a valid teaching license for two states. I'm a fairly good student and enjoy learning, but I've found teaching to be pretty difficult. I've often run into situations where the students won't listen to what I have to say. Plus, I have trouble creating my own lessons and have to rely on resources already provided to me, and I haven't found my more experienced colleagues supportive at all.

I already have a master's degree in Education and have gone through all of the training required to be a teacher. I think teacher training left a lot of things out, though. For one thing, I don't remember ever having to create a teaching portfolio.

Yes, I do have a few faults. I'm disorganized, easily distractable, and have trouble teaching myself when I need to find a lot of my own resources. Whereas people can learn things from Udemy and MOOCS, I often have to opt for traditional online learning to feel like I'm getting anything out of all of it. Is not being able to teach myself and adjust really quickly to change keeping me from succeeding as a teacher?

Have you ever run into people with my problem? What would you recommend for them?

kbbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-08-2020, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
Is not being able to teach myself and adjust really quickly to change keeping me from succeeding as a teacher?
That’s a definite possibility. Being flexible and resourceful is necessary.

Quote:
I haven't found my more experienced colleagues supportive at all.
I know that as an experienced teacher, I’m willing to assist colleagues. However, I do not have time to constantly do things for them. I’m not willing to create plans or provide resources or be a fixer for issues. Also, a “nobody ever taught me” or “I don’t know how” attitude gets old fast.

Have you considered something like corporate training? I have some former teacher acquaintances who went that route.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-09-2020, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Once you are a certified teacher, you're pretty much on your own in most schools. You will be lucky to have someone show you where the books and supplies are. You do need to be able to find resources and make lesson plans. Don't expect a lot of help from other teachers, because they are overworked and busy with their own classes. It is very important to have routines and expectations set up for your class. It sounds like you could use some classes in classroom management. Spend time at the beginning of the year getting your classroom running smoothly. And you do need to be able to think on your feet when things don't go as planned or there are disruptions. Only you know if teaching is for you, but don't expect others to constantly help you.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

bulldoglab112

My opinion.......
Old 01-09-2020, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, renew your certification. You may never use it again, but you will have it to fall back on.
bulldoglab112 is offline   Reply With Quote

tryingtoteach

Old 01-09-2020, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you need to renew your certification, I would highly recommend that you do. I agree with pp that it is something to fall back on.

tryingtoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Renew
Old 01-09-2020, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

keep your options open.

You never know when that credential will allow you to earn a living.

If you want to get a credential later, you'll be at the mercy of whatever new rules and regs have been inserted, quite possibly requiring additional classes to qualify.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote