>

wildflowerz

Living in Florida Questions
Old 01-21-2020, 04:25 PM

Do you know anyone living in Florida?

Where do they live?

What kind of community is it?

Do they like it?

We are in Florida, zigzagging across the state, looking for our retirement home. We are here through March and hope to narrow it down to 3 or 4 areas.

It is seriously overwhelming. I donít know how people figure this out. Dh golfs and wants to be in a golf community so that is our focus. If it is on a coast, even better. It does seem like central Florida might be more affordable.

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 01-21-2020, 04:27 PM

I loved living in Florida. Beautiful place. Lots,of bugs and humidity though. We lived between daytona beach and Disney so we went to both all the time. I miss it a lot.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 01-21-2020, 04:30 PM

My former para moved to The Villages in Florida and loves it.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

ncteach3

Naples
Old 01-21-2020, 04:31 PM

My in law are in Naples. They really like it there.
We lived in Jensen Beach/Pt St Lucie area.
My cousin is in Melbourne.
Friends live near Siesta Key.
I like to be near the beach. I can't really say which is better. Each one of them is happy where they are.
Inland can be better during hurricane season.
ncteach3 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-21-2020, 05:00 PM

I have family in Port Orange, which is right next to Daytona Beach. TBH? I love it. I love their place. They live in a gated community (Spruce Creek) and there's a good sense of community. They enjoy being near the beach but are also close to places like Orlando and Jacksonville.

cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

musiclover

I do
Old 01-21-2020, 05:04 PM

I live in central Florida. I live in a suburb of Orlando. Rents are climbing very fast and house prices are in the affordable range for an average-size home. I like it, but I have lived here for many years. Traffic is horrendous, road construction ongoing for future years, schools overcrowded, wages low. Lots of things to do: theme parks, nature, Broadway shows, concerts, sports teams. Great shopping and great restaurants.

A friend and her hubby retired to Venice on the west coast and they absolutely love it. My cousins live in Dade City and they love it. There are many small towns on the western side of the state that are lovely. I much prefer the Gulf coast to the Atlantic coast. Seems less crowded and less touristy. I would not, however, live in a coastal town.

The Villages are incredibly popular. Jimmy Buffett has a Margaritaville resort in Daytona Beach for seniors. There are some Del Webb communities also that you could check out.

Feel free to PM me.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 01-21-2020, 05:22 PM

I live in Cape Coral now, but thinking about moving to Venice. One neighborhood that we are looking at is Venice Golf and Country Club. Prices there run from mid 200's to around 650K. We are retired and looking for somewhere we don't have to do a lot of exterior maintenance, plus we want to be closer to the beach. We're about 15 miles from the beach right now, but Venice Golf &CC is only 3 - 4 miles. During the summer the 15 miles is easy driving, but in winter (tourist season) it's ridiculous.
I lived in Indian Rocks Beach when I was younger - loved it too.
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-21-2020, 05:45 PM

I've had several relatives and friends in Florida. One of my best friends was in Orlando and hated it and wanted to move back to the midwest. She did, and they immediately wished to go back to Orlando (they recently moved back).

Some of my older relatives lived in Sarasota, Spring Hill, and Ocala. They were all very happy in those places.

Good luck, it's hard to find a "forever" home.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 01-21-2020, 06:04 PM

I lived in Central Florida for over 25 years but I had enough of the heat and humidity and I moved back up North when I retired. The hot weather started in February and it didn't end until a few hurricanes would swirl things up in October or November each year. I love the change of seasons and so my one warning would be that you know what the weather will be like....you're there at the best time of year which I admit is pretty nice, but it doesn't last.
rusty is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Florida
Old 01-21-2020, 06:55 PM

My sister in laws both live in fort Myers area as well as a dear high school friend. Both live in golf communities. They live in a golf community called Stoneybrook, hs friend lives in country creek. Many restaurants, shopping, theater etc. about 15 minutes from beaches too. Fort Myers airport is about 10 minutes from them too. My DD’s in laws just bought a house in Cape Coral. We spent many years going to the siesta key area, which we loved too. Sarasota is lovely. This year we are going to Delray to check out east coast. I literally have only been on west coast for about 30 years. We also have friends in Jupiter and Hutchinson island. A cousin in palm city too. My sister in laws all love it there. We have friends in Naples but I did not like Naples as much. I think I personally would avoid the villages. Just not my cup of tea. Good luck in your search...

juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-21-2020, 06:56 PM

Yes, several.

Where do they live?
  • Ocala
  • Tampa
  • Fort Myers
  • Orlando
  • Jacksonville
  • Sanford
  • Okeechobee

The ones in Fort Myers live in a beach condo in winter and a house in a rather fancy neighborhood off and on during the year. Both lived away from touristy sections.

The one in Ocala lived in a smaller neighborhood. Lower middle class type houses.

Okeechobee is where a lot of local older people go in winter. My dad went for a few months a year after he retired. His BFF had a mobile home on the lake, and they fished. Very close-knit group that had mobile homes there. Pretty much upper middle class retirees.

The others were all basic middle class family neighborhoods.

Do they like it?
Yes. They all like it.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

FLTeach73

Florida living
Old 01-21-2020, 07:05 PM

I live in Sarasota and it has both of the things you mentioned: golf and beaches. We have the beautiful Siesta Beach if you want the coast and we also have golf courses. Housing is somewhat more expensive than other communities though. Venice to our south is also a nice option.
FLTeach73 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 01-21-2020, 07:20 PM

We looked at The Villages last year and it was definitely not my cup of tea. Dh loved it. Golf carts buzzing around, all those collared shirts, he was in heaven. I need something smaller and more casual.

This week we are checking out the Fort Myers area.

On the way to Florida we stopped at a golf course in Kingsland, Ga. The people were so nice. They tried talking us into moving there instead of Florida.

GraceKrispy

Old 01-21-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
On the way to Florida we stopped at a golf course in Kingsland, Ga. The people were so nice. They tried talking us into moving there instead of Florida.
I'd live in Georgia over Florida! Of course, I've only been to each state once, so I really have no idea
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 01-21-2020, 08:10 PM

My son lives in Jacksonville. We really like that area. He lived for a while in Ft. Lauderdale and I did not like it there at all. The Jacksonville/St. Augustine area is a huge golf area with the World of Golf Hall of Fame and The Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bethany

Old 01-22-2020, 05:26 AM

We just moved to Florida from Texas and definitely love the slow pace of everything and the trees. We moved to the Destin/Pensacola area, mainly for the beaches (Emerald Coast). Itís definitely not up and coming like the Dallas area where everything is new, but it has what we need. I donít think thereís many golf courses here, so not sure I would even venture out to this part of Florida.

Sounds like you would love the Hilton Head area! We have relatives there and is absolutely beautiful with lots of golf.

Good luck on your search!
Bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 01-22-2020, 05:40 AM

FWIW- my in-laws lived the The Villages for years (golf fanatics). They loved it, but both DH and I felt they lost touch with what the real world is like I guess in some ways that may not be a bad thing.

DHís sister lives in the Keys. She has said that with climate change they are experiencing much hotter weather. And, then of course the hurricanes... But no matter where you live there are weather issues, right?
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Gracekrispy
Old 01-22-2020, 05:45 AM

Georgia coastline is one area we are definitely checking out. Georgia does not tax SS, pensions or IRAís. Big tax benefit. It does not seem as overrun as Florida. My sister in laws area...lee county, apparently has 1,000 people a day moving in. Yikes! How long can that go on? I mean, I love visiting her but it is quite congested in winter.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 01-22-2020, 06:28 AM

I grew up in St. Augustine. It is lovely, but has changed dramatically over the years. The beaches are beautiful.

I have lived in Palm Beach County for the past 38 years. It is an expensive area to live. Housing prices are very high. That being said, golfers seem to like it and we have great beaches.

My son lives in St. Cloud, which is a little south of Orlando. It is a booming area with tons of new communities sprouting up. That's not necessarily a good thing, but the prices are pretty good.

We have also been making some decisions about where to retire (we own over an acre of land and my hubby won't be able to deal with it much longer). We have been all over the state. I like the Melbourne area. Beautiful beaches (which is what I care about) and relatively close to my son.

You are seeing the best of Florida right now. This weather does not last. Most of the year is terribly hot and humid.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

g8rFan

Florida
Old 01-22-2020, 07:42 AM

I live in Palm Beach County (east coast, south Florida) and I've lived here practically my entire life. It's changed a lot over the years....more construction, way more people and traffic than years ago. Still, it is truly living in paradise. Close to the beach, beautiful weather most of the year, and lots of golf.

August and September are the worst months...extremely hot and rainy, and it's the height of hurricane season. We have a definite "season" which is from October to March. Lots of snowbirds and tourists during those months. The saying goes you can tell when it's fall in Florida when the license plates change. But otherwise, it's very nice. We love it here.
g8rFan is offline   Reply With Quote

TebowTeacher

Florida
Old 01-22-2020, 08:47 AM

I grew up in Florida. Check out Citrus County. It is a smaller county on the west coast. It is about 90 minutes north of Tampa and about 90 minutes west of Orlando. It is on the Gulf Coast so lots of water activities are available. It also has a lot of golf opportunities! You may get the most bang for your buck there as well.
TebowTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 01-22-2020, 01:27 PM

Yes, ME!
Where do they live?
I live in North Florida, near Tallahassee
We live in a Rural community! Like the closest Walmart is 45 minutes away!
Do they like it?
Aside from the slow internet and long commute to Walmart, we love it!
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-22-2020, 02:04 PM

I live in an Eastern suburb of Orlando- 25 minutes from downtown and 45ish from theme parks. I’m 25 minutes from Cocoa beach and around 40 from Daytona.
I am near the college, UCF, and not rural. However, there are rural communities within 10 minutes of me.

I have family in Naples and grew up North of Tampa...
I love where I live, minus the crazy heat and humidity.

If I were looking to move elsewhere in Florida, near a beach I would go for the panhandle of the West coast. I just prefer the West coast (Gulf of Mexico) beaches to the East.

If you have questions about Central Florida, feel free to message me. I’ve been here for 15 years now.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Florida
Old 01-22-2020, 02:09 PM

I went to high school in south Miami. Great place for a teenager, but that's not what you're looking for, is it?

I went to school in Gainsville, FL. I do like central Florida. It's very rural with pockets of retirement communities.

A cousin and his family moved to Winter Haven in central Florida. They seemed to love it there. Lots of retired folk and a really nice small city.

If I move back to the south, which I doubt I will do, I'd move to the Georgia coast. St. Simon's Island is a nice place as well as nearby Tybee Island. If you head up the coast a bit and into South Carolina, I'd check out Edisto Beach. My son and I spent a week there one year and enjoyed being on a quiet beach.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 01-22-2020, 05:10 PM

Thank you for all of the replies.

After we visit each area we are asking ourselves if we liked it enough to come back and meet with a realtor. Today we drove around Fort Myers and stopped in the Historic area for lunch. The waitress used to live near me in PA.

Tomorrow I have lunch with my cousin who has lived here for many years.

We like the area a lot and will be back.

Saturday we head East.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-23-2020, 01:00 PM

I live in Port Orange which is basically connected to Daytona Beach. I have lived here all of my life. We do like this area. We are close to Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Orlando and Tampa. Our beach is beautiful though a bit touristy, especially in the summer and during NASCAR events and college spring break. Our peak season here is different than south FL. Most of our tourism occurs in the summer months. The climate of N and central FL is quite different from the climate in S. FL, which is more tropical in weather and culture (although in June-September is all about the same - HOT and HUMID). Except for between cities, of which there are many, we are not rural by any stretch of the imagination!

Happy Hunting and let us know what you decide!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote