Help

Kindergarten

chapter books

>

brockpm

chapter books
Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really want to start reading to my kids a little every day out of a chapter book. Does anyone know of a book that maybe my boys and girls would like? I thought about the Judy Blume Fudge books.

Also, I have a kid that is starting to read chapter books. I suggested Junie B. Jones for her. What other books do you think she would like?

brockpm is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

chapter books
Old 04-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here are the chapter books I read to my Ks each year
  • My Father's Dragon series of 3 books-very short chapters, I do this one first
  • Russell Sprouts books
  • Ramona the Pest (some of the other Ramona books are too old for K)
  • Catwings
  • A few books from Magic Tree House especially if it fits our classroom theme
Other books for your advance readers
  • The Fairy book series-K girls love these and they are harmless
  • Magic Tree House books-some historical accuracy
  • Box Car Children
Garden Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

MissKayla

Old 04-14-2011, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just finished reading my kids a Junie B. Jones book. They loved it!
MissKayla is offline   Reply With Quote

hmilner

Magic Tree House/Junie B. Jones = Bad Grammar
Old 04-14-2011, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I read my students a chapter from the Magic Tree House series everyday. Make sure you start at book 1 and move through the series. The books all build off of each other. My students absolutely love the series! It is so interesting to hear the connections they make from the books. I also like them because it teaches the students basic history facts. Great series! I highly recommend it! : )

There is one disadvantage I noticed about the Junie B. Jones series. Last year I read a Valentines Day Junie B. Jones chapter book. They are super cute and funny books, but when Junie B. talks she uses really bad grammar. Unfortunately I observed several of my students repeating the bad grammar phrases she said in the book in their normal sentences. This slightly caught me off guard. I had not predicted that would happen. But, I have not read a Junie B. Jones books to my kids since because of this experience. I am sure this would not happen with every class. But, I don't want to take a chance of accidentally teaching and modeling bad grammar for my students.
hmilner is offline   Reply With Quote

rubyanne

Old 04-14-2011, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My class also likes Magic Tree House. I like to tie it in with a science or history study. I have my students make mental images in their minds of what they think the scene looks like. Sometimes I have them draw a picture before i show them the one in the book.

I tried Junie B but my class got hung up on the language. I know first grade teacher that uses Junie B to discuss how we should not act. Henry and Mudge is another idea for beginning chapter book readers.

rubyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

MissKayla

Old 04-14-2011, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I noticed the grammar issue, but I just explained to my kids that just like they are learning how to read, write, spell words, Junie is too, and so she says words a certain way because she hasn't learned otherwise yet. My kids thought it was funny and didn't pick up on any of it or use it. Many of my kids speak like she does anyway, so they seemed to relate to it more than anything else. I can see why you might not want to read those books to your class, but for my class, there weren't any negative outcomes.
MissKayla is offline   Reply With Quote

leemac

Chapter book
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For the last several years in the spring, I start reading Charlotte's Web right after lunch with the lights off and me in my rocker. I keep a dry erase board handy to put some new vocabulary words to use later in a pocket chart. This book is full of "big words". I have the stuffed animals and puppets for the characters and use them often to speak their part. The kids beg to hear a chapter every day. I call it my "bedtime story" routine. When we finish sometime in May, I show the movie version and it is so similar in dialogue that the kids comment on it. It is a sad story but it is filled with wonderful words and real life situations that are acted out with animals. I used to read it to my third grade class but kindergarten kids can handle it, as well.
leemac is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowpouncy

Chapter Books lessons
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

How do you use chapter books? What are some activites that you do? I just finished reading a Junie B. Jones book and would love to read it to my class. How long do you read for? Do you just ask a few comprehension questions? I really like to bring to try some different before the end of the year.
yellowpouncy is offline   Reply With Quote