Help

Substitute Teachers

Today I cried because I'm a sub

>

Beethechange

Today I cried because I'm a sub
Old 05-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I completely lost it today. I subbed at a class where the teacher just needed assistance so they had me fill in for her for math.

Instead of going away on her prep she stayed in. She gave me a lesson on fractions,second grade to teach on the white board then hand them worksheets later. I said sure no problem. I truly hate when teachers decide to stay in on their prep because they butt in and I feel like a nothing at the end.

As I started to teach the lesson, she interrupts and says: "I'm sorry do you know anything about fractions, its part to whole, have you seen it before? ". I looked at her like are you f... Kidding me..why is this B talking in slow motion to me. I said yes I know fractions..I wouldn't be here if I didn't.. I just ignored what she said and kept on... As I was teaching the kids, she stopped and said..."Never mind, everyone come back to your seats and work on these pages instead."

I mean just like that she ended the lesson plan.. I had to drop what I was doing and work on whatever she gave... I gave up at that point, I literally grabbed a chair and sat with one of the group of kids.

Class was quickly over and i looked to her to show her and all she said.."oh you may go now..." luckily i had a prep, I went to the teachers lounge, nobody was there and I started sobbing uncontrollably.

Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

SubSubBubBub

SubSubBubBub

Awww...you poor thing!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That was awful the way she treated you. (been there once but made a mental note to never sub for her again; she never embarrassed me but just treated me disrespectfully and like I was worthless).

Feel sorry for her and feel sorry for those little cuties who are learning her awful behavior! Be thankful she is not your SIL, MIL, neighbor or the like. ;-)
Josie37

Josie37

So sorry!
Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I have had nothing but bad situations when teachers stay in their room to work or test during the day. It's too confusing for the kids and the teachers I have worked with have been awful. I try very hard not to accept assignments like this, although I know it's hard to know in advance. She sounds just plain mean, try not to take it personally. I can't believe how many teachers think they are sooooooo great! I'm really getting sick of the ones with the big heads who look down on subs!

Beethechange

Thanks for being supportive
Old 05-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's good to know i can vent with fellow subs on this site. No one knows what we go through except us.
Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

musix452

That's horrible
Old 05-07-2013, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am so sorry that happened to you! Are you a constant sub in this school? If you are, that's surprising. Subs are teachers too and no one has the right to put you down like that. Shame on that teacher!

musix452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Umos

Umos

Once
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I subbed even though I was sick because I didn't want to turn them down. At this school I learned later when I got a permanent job and was transferred there gave the sub all the recess and bus duty even though it was not the teacher's day to have it. The teacher didn't leave instructions for bus duty. I guess someone was supposed to tell (lie) me I had it but didn't. Anyway I am sitting there after school grading papers and this teacher comes in and screams at me that I was supposed to be on bus duty. Really ugly. She left and I started crying. I felt so awful anyway and that was too much. Some other teachers heard her yelling and came in. I explained to them that I wasn't feeling well and that was part of the reason I was so upset. I heard later they went to the principal and he chewed the teacher out, but the policy continued of giving the sub all of the duty.

Southern Sub

I just hate that!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Teachers can be so rude and disrespectful! It's happened to me also, where a teacher just either ignores subs or puts them down as if they are subhuman (pun intended). I know exactly how you feel and it's not a good feeling. I don't know of any other profession where co-workers are so rude to other workers that they rely on. Can anyone else think of a profession where that goes on? All teachers are not like that, but I've seen it way too many times!

We really have no one to turn to, that is why I like this forum so much, we are all in this together, and no matter what the problem is, someone is here to make us feel better about ourselves.

That teacher should NOT have said one more word after she gave you the lesson plan. You were there to do a job for her and she was definitely out of line acting like that, just try not to let it get to you, it's not worth it, all we can do is our best and if that is not good enough for some teachers then I say tuff s_ _ _!

SS
Southern Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What a horrible thing for her to do! I wonder how people can behave that way and sleep at night. What happened is reflective of her as a person than the job you were doing!

I've also been having a hard time lately. I was recenlty told by a p that I "survived, but barely" a certain period of a day. In one week, I've been in 2 different rooms with teachers who ignored me. One acted bothered I was there. And I've ran into a brand new teacher, who just graduated college and has a job. Then, I've been subbing 4 or 5 days for weeks, so I'm exhausted. All these things together have me feeling down.

I'm going to finish out this year and then try to regroup. Even though I know I shouldn't, I'm going to take 2 weeks and just do things I need to do. My house needs some TLC, and I need time to reflect on where I want to go from here. I'm going to lay down the torch, be kind to myself, and hopefully recharge. I hope you can do the same.
Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Dougie

Old 05-07-2013, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The teacher wanted to feel powerful, instead she came through as very unproffesional.

Sorry this happened.
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote

mysterybird

Sometimes
Old 05-07-2013, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have had teachers stay in the room and watch as I teach. This has made me feel uncomfortable as teaching is not my first profession. But I have never had a teacher shut me down like that. Very unprofessional, and rude!
This board has been a life saver. I felt alone in the frustration of children's bad behavior, teachers bad behavior, and admin's bad behavior, not to mention the lack of work place camaraderie. It is comforting to know others sympathize with the difficulties of subbing. Subbing is one of the most under appreciated jobs there is. the lack of pay and medical benefits is embarrassing.

"You are to nice, to mean, you let them get away with everything, they can talk with their friends and move around if they want"

You can't win for losing. You have to just do the best job you can with the class at hand. Have a bad day, take a day off here and there. Remember you are a human too!

mysterybird is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

omg
Old 05-08-2013, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am so so sorry. That totally sucks. Karma is gonna give her a big bite one of these days.

I totally know the type.

I completely applaud you for not only being professional and keeping your tongue in check but for doing the professional thing of continuing to work.

Ihope today is better. Record that teachers name in the back of your head somewhere. Someday you will run into her again and it won't be in that same position.

In the mean time - I would refuse to sub for her. If it meant I went home with no pay then so be it. Karma will do her some justice. Trust in that.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

amigurumi

Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Wow, just wow. What an uncaring and rude woman! I would make it clear to the office, or to whomever handles calling in subs, that you will NOT sub for her ever ever! She gives condescending a new meaning.
amigurumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Omg
Old 05-08-2013, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

What a petty tyrant, what a sow! WHY would any sane person do that. My goodness!

I had a similar experience back when I started subbing. I was teaching subtraction, and used terms like 'borrowing' and what not. That's how I was taught to subtract back in the 1970s. Ok so things have changed a bit, they now say 'regrouping' and such. So this second grade teacher goes off on me (in front of the kids!) for saying 'borrowing' instead of 'regrouping', that it would confuse the kids, blah blah blah. Which is understandable, but keep in mind I am not a certified K-3 teacher, I merely have a college degree and 2 hours worth of sub training where things like this were never addressed. This was actually the first time where I was even required to conduct a lesson. So during her tirade I held my hand out in a 'Stop" motion, and explained this to her. You think this crazy bat listened? NO, she continues to yell that I 'should have known' and blah blah blah. So I said LOOK whether we call it borrowing or regrouping it's the same mechanism, and furthermore this is how I learned and I do fine in math to this day! She humphed and left the room. I continued the lesson, this time saying 'regrouping' and such. The kids seemed to 'get it' either way.

Do you know, she later requested me to sub for her?
I always declined, I have no time for crazy
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

And Another Thing
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Some teachers act sooooooo offended when the general public acts like just anybody can walk in off the street and do their job, yet that's exactly the attitude they have of substitute teachers. They expect us to learn and do in 2 hours (the extent of sub training) what took them at least 4 years plus practicum and a semester of student teaching to learn. They expect us to instantly have classroom management skills, without any classroom management classes or training at all, and to instantly know all of their students' quirks and such that they've had all year to learn. They expect us to be able to whip up a lesson plan on the fly, when it takes them hours (and days sometimes) to prepare lesson plans. It's ridiculous. There is truly no reason for their stank attitude toward substitute teachers, and when I come across such a teacher I not just make a mental note to never sub for them, I actually put their name in a note on my phone.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

It sucks I agree, but I think we have to suck it up if we want a job. My admin friend says letters letters letters and the only way to get it is to suck it up. I, like you, have spoken up before. They wont even use me as a volunteer at my own kids school. They treat volunteers like crap too.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

StarAngel

Old 05-15-2013, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

That sucks!! That lady sucks!!! Im so sorry.....
StarAngel is offline   Reply With Quote