Help

Special Education

Point sheets / Parent Communication

>

Cinderella00

Point sheets / Parent Communication
Old 08-06-2016, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm an ebd elementary teacher. Daily communication with parents is huge. For the past 2 years the students have taken home their point / behavior sheet and a parent had to sign it and return it the next day. It keeps the students accountable, and the parents know to expect the paper.

One of my students never brings his paper back, and his parents just don't care. Other parents often ask for an additional copy to keep at home. Last year I also emailed a scan of the point sheet home to parents who wanted it that way (that solved the problem of the student saying they never got it, or lost it). I'm thinking of allowing those parents to just send a reply back stating they saw the point sheet, and then allowing them to keep it at home.

Just looking for ideas on how others handle the daily communication, in case there's a better idea out there!

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachsph2008

communication
Old 08-06-2016, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here are some ideas:

If parents are willing to share their email address, you could either create a Google Sheet or Form for the data. Pros-no paper Con-Not all parents will check on a daily basis

Continue with your system, but reward the students who return their paper. The con is there will still be those parents who don't care or who forget.

For the few parents whom you are not sure are getting the papers, I'd send them a copy in US mail for documentation.
teachsph2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 08-06-2016, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your ideas, teachsped. I thought about using a google form, but I have 2 IAs that travel with students around the building and they have no access to computers or ipads during that time. I want frequent feedback for my students, so they travel with paper checklists. Because of our lack of technology, I don't really think I can get away from that.

Mailing point sheets is an idea, but we send one home daily. Daily mail isn't an option, but maybe once a week. That's a good idea to think on.

Rewards for returned papers are a huge part of the system. The only way to earn daily points for rewards is by bringing the papers back. It still isn't enough to get that one boy motivated.

readandweep

Weekly scan
Old 08-06-2016, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You said that brining the paper back earns major points. But if the one student's parents are not doing it, he is not getting the daily points.

Could you send all the daily sheets in an email scan once a week? Maybe even put a return receipt on it.

It saves you and the student the stress and gives you documentation in case the parents pull a submarine and demand "better" or "more" communication.

I have worked with some families that just can't handle or process a daily note. A weekly report or a glance at a week's worth of notes at one time are just plain easier for them to deal with.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 08-06-2016, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Believe it or not, the parent that won't return the papers gets them by email. She has admitted she never looks at them. But I have covered myself because they're sent.

The student doesn't care that he doesn't get his points. He does earn some in other ways, but finding something worth motivating him is hard. That's one of my big goals this year - just motivating this one student would be great.

readandweep

No solutions
Old 08-07-2016, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

But I feel you.

I especially struggle with students with ODD. Nothing seems more fun or motivating then being oppositional or trying to control everything and everyone around you.

Choice sometimes works - until it doesn't.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

teachingtall

Our EBD program doesn't...
Old 08-07-2016, 10:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My program has chosen as a collective (3 teachers & 1 school psych) has chosen not to send home point sheets. We found that many parents would ignore the positives and just focus on the negatives. I use class messenger to communicate with all my parents. I can see if they read the message and I can also send out messages to the whole class or just the one parent.

I have one student whose parent would get the daily communication last year and would then double the consequences at home for behavior that happened at school. This was not major behaviors, but minor adjustments to their points during the day. It did nothing to improve the students behavior and actually made it worse.

Communication is a double-edged sword. I tend to only communicate with parents the good, and the major negative behaviors, not the everyday stuff we have go on in the room.
teachingtall is offline   Reply With Quote