Special Education

Help with student

>

Ms.M

Ms.M

Help with student
Old 08-26-2016, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I have a difficult student and need help! I am a special education teacher so I pull out. This student does okay while in classroom-sometimes has behavior needs and receives breaks to calm down. The problem is when I pull him to calm down or to do his reading/math minutes he will not go back to class. I have done timers, rewards...everything you can think of. I need help! I have to pull him out for his minutes and need more ideas to help him get back to class without bribing or causing meltdowns.
Thanks!

cabrini6285

Old 08-26-2016, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not sure I have anything for you... my kids have behavior charts for their FBA. Does he have one or a PBSP? If so, add going back to class when timer rings. Maybe ask him why he doesn't want to go back. My kids are pretty honest about it believe it or not... Make sure your boundaries are clear... your room is to do work, take breaks... not rewards and playing unless earned. Maybe that would help?
cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 08-26-2016, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

not sure his age or grade level, or even exceptionality....would a visual schedule or social story work?

You might need to reward (not bribe) initially for him doing what he's supposed to (go back to class). He is manipulating you by having his tantrum to not return to class.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

teachingtall

State Expectations
Old 08-26-2016, 10:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Before you leave the gened class, state the expectation and time frame. Give him time warnings and when you first start this reward/praise him for following expectations. Use a data tracker/chart to show how often he is complying/not complying as he gets more in the comply column change up the reward/praise.

Also try the PreMack Principle (Do this/Get That)

Premack Principle: If behavior B is of higher probability than behavior A, then behavior A can be made more probable by making behavior B contingent upon it. (Also known as “relativity theory of reinforcement”, based on the work of David Premack)

This does not need to be documented in a FBA or even in the IEP until you see if it is working, then get it in the IEP so future teachers know it works.
teachingtall is offline   Reply With Quote

looteach13

Ideas
Old 08-27-2016, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Can you serve his math and reading minutes in the gen ed classroom? Not knowing the age level, I would also suggest social stories for how to take a break, how to return to class.

looteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ms.M

Ms.M

Old 08-28-2016, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you! He has been honest with me and I am trying to work with his gen ed teacher to fix a few of the problems. I appreciate all your ideas! I have tried to be clear but will continue and be more specific. We will see...
Ms.M

Ms.M

Old 08-28-2016, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for your ideas! Appreciate the help! I have some things to try this week!