Help

Special Education

Inclusion....help me!!!!!!

>

TeacherRo1981

Inclusion....help me!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2016, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello teachers! This is my 4th year teaching and I’m frustrated. I need some help. I taught self-contained , special education for the past 3 years and it was good! Now I’m teaching self-contained, I’m pulling students out of regular education inclusion for reading and math 60 minutes a day. Then I teach resource for 30 minutes a week.
I’m having a hard time scheduling. Many teachers do not want to work with the schedule that I created. But I have to squeeze the students in where they fit. My schedule is so messy!!!! My class has special classes like art, music, gym, and computers and I teach Math, reading, social studies, science, health etc. So I still have my own class and cannot neglect my students. I no longer feel like a classroom teacher.

I teach 4,5,6th grade special education. I have students on a first grade level…..Some are on the 3rd and 4th grade level.

Do the regular education teachers expect me to use grade level books and materials with the inclusion students? Or should I modify the work to their ability levels? Please help me figure this out !!!!!! I’ve always used lower level math and reading books with my self-contained students. But I don’t know what to do with the inclusion and resource kids. Help me!!!!!! Do i teach the inclusion kids with interventions or should I be doing guided reading with them ?

Last edited by TeacherRo1981; 09-07-2016 at 06:30 PM..
TeacherRo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Thought
Old 09-08-2016, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would think/hope you have to work with your students at their level no matter if they are self-contained or in regular ed classrooms as inclusion students. Their IEP should specify their level and what materials will be used to meet their goals. The regular ed teachers also have to follow the goals from the IEP so may not/will not be able to use materials being used with the other students in their class.

When the regular classroom teacher is teaching math/reading/writing/etc., I would pull your inclusion students for their math/reading/writing/etc. lessons. That should keep your schedule similar to the grade level schedules so as not to interfere with special classes like art, music, phy ed, etc. However, it will also mean that your regular ed teachers cannot just change their daily schedule (example: switching math and reading times).

In my district, the principals make the schedules for all classrooms and special classes. Each teacher gets a schedule with times for all subjects and specials so special ed schedules do not overlap. (For example, when our special ed teacher is working with second grade math, her third grade math students are at a special class.)

I would also check with your district's head of special ed. I am sure your district has a philosophy on how they want you to work with inclusion students. (In my district, we have no self-contained students. No matter a child's disability, all classrooms are inclusion and all students are placed in inclusion classrooms.)

I am anxious to see what other teachers will post to answer your questions. If you do not get many responses on this board, I would move your question to the Busy Board.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

My Recommendations
Old 09-08-2016, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For your resource and inclusion kids support them in mastering skill deficits as identified on their IEP that will close the gap. There are many ways you could approach this. You could assign work specifically related to their IEP goals. You could pre teach (front load a lesson the students will be learning in their regular classrooms. You could reteach skills that the student has not mastered in the regular classroom. You could provide reinforcement for skills the student is currently working on in the regular classroom. During resorted, I would structure it so that part of the time is studying for tests in Science/Social Studies courses and the other part of the time spent on giving each student what they specifically need. Guiding reading would be an excellent way to develop each student's skills based on individual needs.
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherRo1981

Old 09-09-2016, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much for the response!!!!!!

This is the school districts first year doing inclusion, so I wasn't given much help with implementing it. I have 3 different grade levels, and ever every teacher has a different schedule, so are time slots do not align. The principals did not create the schedule for us, so i did my best.

The kids only get 30 minutes of reading and math with me a day, which is not enough time to complete a lesson. It took 3 days to finish a guided reading assignment.

Also when im pulling students, they are missing the beginning of lecture in their class, so im sure that they are lost when they return to class. How can the students learn when they are pulled out at the beginning of class? I cant move the schedules around anymore because nothing else will fit.

Basically what im getting from your responses is that the special ed director or the principal should have made the schedules so that they could align. Also, I should be working on IEP goals, reading skills, etc.

I'm scared that when im evaluated that i will be bad because I can no longer do long elaborate lessons. I dont feel like a classroom teacher anymore. I feel like im neglecting my students. I cant complete my reading block anymore in the morning cause im working around everyone's schedule. I hate this. I dont have time to do my complete lessons!!!!

Anymore advice?
TeacherRo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote