Help

Special Education

What am I doing wrong?

>

Peaches250

What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-12-2016, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year as a SpEd teacher. I am resource and co-teaching. I have students in 1, 2, and 4. I have a total of 11 students on my case load. I am not new to teaching, just special education. I am so overwhelmed!

In my classroom (I have taught 1, 4 and 5) I just knew what to do. I went in and handled business. It was so much easier than this. This year I cannot get in a groove. I cannot get organized. I do not know what I am doing and I feel like I am doing a horrible job. I cannot find time to do the paper work or keep up with the data points. I feel like I cannot keep goals straight.

I miss my classroom! I need advice on how to wrap my head around all of this. Every time I think I have direction, something throws a wrench in things. Please, for my sanity, does any one have any advice?

Peaches250 is offline   Reply With Quote

TrulyGretel

will be me in a few days
Old 09-12-2016, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm going to be new to special ed too this year. We have to keep up with data points? What are those? See you know more than I do. My plan is to not allow myself to get overwhelmed, and ask for assistance. I hope to learn a lot and shamefully don't expect a lot from myself since this wasn't my 1st choice as a teaching position. I think I'm going to miss having my own classroom. BUT, I will be giving it a good attempt. Heck, I may even like it.
TrulyGretel is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-13-2016, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So, the first thing I did was wrote all the annual review dates for my students on my desk calendar. That was not something I wanted to miss. At the beginning of each month I checked to see who was coming up so I could get notices out to parents, etc.

As for data, everyone does it differently. I assessed once a month. The psych wanted more, but I informed her I actually needed to teach. A wonderful sped teacher gave me a packet for kinder and 1st (and super low 2nd). For the higher grades, I did a math timed test and a few other things. That way I had consistent data. To show that their goals were being met, I just used what we worked on in small group, which mirrored what they did in class, but on a more modified level (unless they were way below level).

For reading, we did the reading series intervention which was great.

There were things I loved about SpEd:
1) Small groups allowed me to really bond with my kids.
2) No one cared what I did so I could really plan what I wanted and had fun with the kids.
3) A ton of flexibility to try new things and experiment.

I think once you try it and get in the groove you'll love it.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote