Help

Special Education

Inclusion - Send your students work?

>

readandweep

Inclusion - Send your students work?
Old 09-14-2016, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm guess I'm looking for opinions about what I should or should not be doing?

Trying not to be too specific with an issue I'm having.

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-14-2016, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you mean that you send work for them to do in gen ed, instead of what everyone else is doing? Yes, we do that for some students. However, if they're just sitting in gen ed doing alternate work, then we really start looking at if that's the appropriate placement for them. If their entire day truly needs to be modified then our mild needs program isn't the appropriate placement. Often sending work is just something we do as kind of a "triage" while we work to jump through the hoops to get the student into the appropriate placement.

If the student can access the gen ed instruction with some differentiation, I would try to work with the gen ed teacher to make that happen rather than sending something entirely different for the kid to do (for example, if the objective is learning more content, can they listen to the text rather than read it? write fewer sentences/paragraphs etc.?) This is sometimes difficult for me to figure out. There is a fine line between expecting the teacher to differentiate and realizing that they have 25 students that all have unique needs and there's only so much you can accomplish in a gen ed room. It's also hard because technically we're not supposed to modify work (we can't modify grades in our program). We often do modify "under the table" just out of necessity, but if it's something like a test taken for a grade there really isn't anything we can do.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Good questions
Old 09-14-2016, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My students are technically in self-contained and most of them have gotten behaviors under control enough to go to general ed.

However, they are all way below grade level (four to five years). Your point about gen ed having other students is very valid as I am intermediate/middle school where teachers generally have 50-200 students.

Thank you for your input. I get little to no administrative guidance and support and I'm constantly wondering if this is something I should be doing versus something I am doing because no one else will step up.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

inclusion-gen ed
Old 09-18-2016, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have to have them all working on grade-level materials, tests, etc. It is hard to try to fill in the gaps, because then they lose the direct instruction, practice ,etc.for the standard being covered. So, we try to do some modification and accommodations, but time is a factor. Gets frustrating for teachers and students.
teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote