Help

Special Education

Resource teachers question

>

Daphne333

Resource teachers question
Old 08-27-2016, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When do you start pulling your kids? My principal thinks we should start pulling day 1. We tried to explain that the kids need time to be with their home rooms for team building and learning procedures. And we had to do testing, so would be pulling the students to do testing.

We don't start reading instruction until Tuesday. She's requiring sped to start on Monday while all the rest of the staff doesn't have to teach it until Tuesday. It doesn't seem right that we are being held to a different standard.

Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-27-2016, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We aren't allowed to pull for the first several weeks. Honestly, I don't like it. Our first week of school was only two days, then a full week, and then a 3 day week for students due to assessment conferences. So although it's really only been 10 student days, this Monday will be the fourth week of school and my first day of actual teaching! I get that students need to learn the routine with a new gen ed teacher. However, IMO this should be a day or two, not 3 weeks. If they're being pulled for sped services, that is part of their routine. Some of our older kids especially have really been struggling with having to be in gen ed all day these past few weeks. The expectation at my school is also that sped staff and title 1 staff "help" in Kindergarten the first few weeks of school. I HATE this. We're basically treated like paras and it's really, really boring! IMO, it also sends the message to kids and gen ed teachers that we're paras/support staff and not "real teachers" when we finally do get to start our services later in the year. Not to mention, it creates resentment among gen ed staff because in their eyes we get three weeks of "extra planning time" while they're working their butts off at the beginning of the year. August is my least favorite time of year because of this. If I had my way, I would have started services on Monday of the second week (3rd day of school). Given the choice between starting day 1 and starting the fourth week, I'd take day 1!

Anyway, have you tried suggesting that you push-in for the required minutes on day 1 (or the first couple of days) so you're still with students, but they also still get to learn their gen ed routines? Then you can start pulling at that time instead after the first couple of days. If your P is absolutely insistent that you must pull on day 1, you could ask the gen ed teachers to give you a list of routines or rules/expectations that you could review with the kids in your room, so at least you're covering the same thing. I wouldn't worry about teaching a specific literacy program/curriculum or whatever you use on day 1 either. Work on your routines/expectations/rules with kids during pull out blocks. I teach several grade levels, so I have a mix of new (transfer) and returning students. On my first day with them, I'll play a getting to know you/how was your summer game, have them help me create a list of rules we agree to follow in our group, and do a few small literacy activities to remind (or teach, for new kids) them of some of the routines we do. Since my K students are obviously totally new, my plan is a game of candyland, a quick letter/number id assessment, "reading" a book together while focusing on print concepts, and having them draw a picture of what the story is mostly about. Usually my activities are much more rigorous but I want to ease them in a little!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

eeza

starting SPED services
Old 08-27-2016, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I get that students need to learn the routine with a new gen ed teacher. However, IMO this should be a day or two, not 3 weeks. If they're being pulled for sped services, that is part of their routine.
You are so right, Haley23! I often see on IEPs, "no services the first two weeks and last week of school" or something like that. Just like transitioning from their seats to the carpet, getting services is part of what will happen as their routine. They should get used to it as soon as possible!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 08-27-2016, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We start day 2, day one is for the students to learn the routine in their class then come to resource and learn what is expected of them. I love it this way and don't want anything to change.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Pull-out
Old 08-28-2016, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We start Day 1. The reasoning for this is when that the IEP needs don't stop just because it's a new school year. I understand the wanting to have time to learn routines in a classroom, so when I was an elementary sped teacher, I asked when would be best. I didn't want to have to make up the missed time later on and cause the students to miss out on even more time with the general ed teacher.

I'm now in secondary and we do pull-out services from Day 1 as it is written into their school schedules before school starts.

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote