Intervention & Title I Services

Organization tips

>

LaVerne

Organization tips
Old 04-07-2007, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! Happy Easter!
I am trying to get my thoughts in order as I near the end of my first year in Title I Reading. I think I have made progress with my students and feel good about just 'diving' in to this job, after 20 years as a regular ed teacher.
I feel somewhat disorganized though. My lessons with my 39 Reading students in grades 3, 4, and 5 are directed at the weekly communication sheet between myself and the classroom teachers. ( Most of my 15 teachers return it to me with only 1 really frequent exception. For that I feel fortunate. ) I try to incorporate teaching my students about reading comp, vocabulary, and phonics using the topics that the classroom teacher in working on. The fluency section I use the reading a-z website and monitor progress at least 1 a quarter, if not more often.
I however feel a sense of not repeating the strategies and skills my students need on a regular basis. ( Does this make sense?) In my regular ed room, our school uses curriculum guides for years, and are not just text book driven, although in some teachers' cases, that is not true.
Do any of you have a suggestion as to what you do in your title room? Have you mapped out strategies so that you know you hit upon them on a rotating basis? Is there a tool you use? Any advice is welcome.
Thanks for your input.

LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

Old 04-08-2007, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've taught only Title I, never in a classroom. I think I've taught each year different than the ones before, and part of it is the feeling that you described, that I need to be better organized. I keep thinking that if I stick to a timetable or a rotation, then the kids will get more of what they need. The reality is I've never been able to set one up for myself. I don't mean to discourage you, not at all, I just haven't been able to.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

don't understand
Old 04-09-2007, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you saying you feel like you are teaching the same stratiges all the time or you need to be repeating them more?
I agree with Mrs.M . Every year is different beacause your kids needs are different. In regular class you have a set benchmarks to cover. In my area I try to see if those benchmarks have been truly mastered and not just tested. Sometimes the same seed has to be replanted with different plant food before it takes root. On paper the objective looks the same but how you revisit the objective is what makes the difference. In my opinon the best organization you can have is to have the grade level benchmarks introduced in your lesson. That way if a supervisor or yourself wants to know how did you teach a skill and when you just have to look at the date of the bencmark. It will be different for different groups.
readerabbit is online now   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

Thanks for your reply
Old 04-10-2007, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel like I may need to revisit the strategies and skills more on a regular, rotating basis. I do use my benchmarks and standards but I guess I am looking for a form of some sort that I can list and relist the benchmarks on as I reteach/revisit them.
I guess it was always different in the regular ed room as well...no two years were the same but I felt more confident that I repeated things enough so that I felt the kids mastered them.

Thanks for helping me to clear up my thinking.
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote