Help

The VENT

Masks and social distancing-school employees

>

kindergirl88

Masks and social distancing-school employees
Old 05-15-2020, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Students have been finished With remote learning for the last two weeks but teachers, assistants and custodians have still had to work 3 more weeks. Our superintendent said that when we are in the building we need to be wearing a mask and social distancing- especially when we are working near others (not when we are working alone in our rooms).
I was at school today and there were at least 50 employees there - many of which were working in close proximity to one another. A total of TWO employees had a mask - no one else was wearing one or keeping 6 feet distance.
I know there are discussions of whether or not masks or helpful but none of the staff seemed to be making any effort to even social distance. I had several people come up to talk to me and got within a foot of my face.
Iím not a hypochondriac by any means but I just felt like people werenít really taking this seriously which in return makes me feel strange when I am trying to abide by the ďrulesĒ. Iím just curious to hear your thoughts and what youíve seen in your school.

kindergirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 05-15-2020, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wear a mask when I go to work at school. I am the only one. I donít care if Iím the only one. I also wear gloves and wipe down the copier when Iím done.

I wear a mask during physical therapy sessions, too. Itís hard to breath while exercising. Again, I donít care if Iím the only one wearing one, but in this medical facility, Iím not the only one.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 05-15-2020, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds like my school! Grade levels working in the same room for several hours ó no masks in sight ó and only the barest effort at social distancing.

My teaching partner and I wear masks all the time in the building these days.

Only 4 more days here ó and it canít come soon enough!
IA11 is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 05-15-2020, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow! Our district is being very strict with rules/guidelines! I am so glad, even though it is a pain in the neck!

We are only allowed to go in during one 8 hour period and another 3 hour period. We are on a schedule with x number of people during those time frames. No one in the same hallway area is scheduled at the same time.

We have to get our temp taken as we enter the building. Must have on a mask and don gloves. Must stay in our rooms. Anything we need put away, we place in the hallway and a team of x number of people put it away for us (books, etc.).

I am very thankful.

I am quite surprised districts/schools are being so lax. I'd have to say something...to either the P or higher ups. Even if it had to be anonymously.

That is seriously not acceptable, imo.
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-15-2020, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My P made a schedule for packing up rooms over four days for next week. Each teacher has an assigned time and there will be no more than 10 people in the building, all spaced out. So teams won't be there at the same time and people whose classrooms are next to each other won't be there at the same time.

We're required to get our temperatures checked at the door and certify that we're not feeling any symptoms. Masks must be worn in common areas- if you want to take it off while you're alone in your room, you can.

My district sent out a 3 page document with all of the new guidelines. They're taking it very seriously.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-15-2020, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If itís like that, I wouldnít go in if you are high risk. We will definitely be teaching virtually in the fall if this is how it is.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 05-15-2020, 11:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We arenít allowed to wear masks, even if we wanted to. Our situation with this virus is very different to yours, but I expect that rule to be challenged.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 05-16-2020, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My district is like Haley. We donít finish remote learning until the end of June. We will be given a day and time to pack up. We must wear masks and be socially distant. No more than ten people in school at a time.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Next week
Old 05-16-2020, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

we are allowed in for a 4 hour period- the primary purpose is to pack up kids belongings. Their belongings will be bagged. Bags go in the hall. The bags will be moved by custodians to the gym. Staff must be masked the entire time and are restricted to their own room. There is only one entrance and exit. Two grade levels/areas at a time- and these are from opposite ends of the building.

The second purpose is to collect your own things and things you will need over the summer.

Staff is encouraged to get in and get out.

Our district is taking things seriously and expects all of us to abide by the rules.
(and our rules still state to social distance and wear a mask in public)
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 05-16-2020, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am going to protect myself. I would have turned around and left. Then I would have called the superintendent and the local news.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 05-16-2020, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
I am going to protect myself. I would have turned around and left. Then I would have called the superintendent and the local news.
Yes, me too!
mom23kids is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 05-16-2020, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Wow. The only people who have been in our school building since March 13th are administrators and custodians. Teacher will get to make an appointment during the week after Memorial Day to get things from their rooms and student possessions. Every teacher in our building will stay at the same grade level in their same rooms next year except for anyone who had already planned to leave and a few who will be transferred to other schools in the district due to enrollment needs. I think that was a good choice.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-16-2020, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm not a hypochondriac either and I'm over the people struttining all over without a mask. I'm generally in the minority and it pisses me off. My masks protect others. I wish others could be considerate and protect me!

Last edited by teachnkids; 05-16-2020 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Typo
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-16-2020, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Jazzer and I are in the same situation. The only people allowed in our school since March 13th have been admin, custodians and bookkeeper. When the bookkeeper goes in with admin to pay bills, custodians come in and clean up behind them.
It's funny....I've been out to the grocery store and for walks and stuff. Other than DD, I have talked to 5 people that I know in person from six feet or more apart.
It's actually getting to the point that I'm worried I'm going to feel weird with normal life.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Our building is much like yours.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I will have to go back to pack up, but a couple of assistants, the P, a secretary, lunch people, and custodians are in the building at all times.
Only 1 of the above seems to be taking this situation seriously and keeps 6 feet away.
No1 wears a mask or gloves. 3 of the people there came in my room right before shut down, walked in, and got really close. My 1st reaction probably startled 1 person because I reacted by putting my hand out like , "stay back..."
I am dreading going back for clean up. Anyone who works in the school can return whenever they want. I know some have been doing no social distancing and do not take it seriously. Kids on Zoom tell what they have been doing...like going to birthday parties and sleep overs.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 05-16-2020, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Our buildings have been totally closed. Starting next week, under very strict guidelines, teachers have the option of coming for a scheduled visit to go to their classroom to pick up teaching materials, for 1 hour only.
We are not expected to pack anything up. I am thankful our safety is being taken seriously.
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

I was the only one...
Old 05-16-2020, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

About 15 people on campus during my "socially distancing" 4-hour time slot last week. They were all gathered in the teacher's lounge, chatting, with no masks. I stayed away, wore my mask anytime I went in common areas, and had MANY people look me up and down scornfully. Arizona is OPEN, so mask-wearers are stupid, I guess. We're tired o being at home, so the pandemic is over.

You know, right now (subject to change, of course) science is saying that kids aren't particularly infectious when it comes to this virus. I MIGHT feel comfortable returning to school with just students, it's the adults that terrify me. If educated adults can't stay home and stay safe for the summer, if they have no respect for science or for their fellow humans, I DO NOT WANT to go back to school with these people at the end of July
Politryian

Politryian

Masks
Old 05-17-2020, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

For those ďrequiredĒ to wear masks, is your district providing masks to wear?

Tsy2013

Old 05-17-2020, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

This virus will never go away completely, either a vaccine will have to be made or herd immunity will have to be developed. I for one rather herd immunity on the health population. I will not wear a mask as I CAN NOT breathe and it is doing long term damage to my lungs.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 05-17-2020, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
I will not wear a mask as I CAN NOT breathe and it is doing long term damage to my lungs.
Then stay home without your mask. You have no right to be out spreading your germs to others.

And if your lungs are seriously so compromised that simply wearing a mask will do "long term damage to your lungs", then you will not survive Covid. Seriously, stay home.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 05-17-2020, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Very true, teenytiny.
Anyway, in my state, the governor has mandated wearing masks when you enter a store. So, you will not be allowed to enter without one.
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 05-17-2020, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

We have a/b days that staff can go in, if they choose, in 3-4 hour shifts. If you are immuno compromised, you cant go in unless you sign a waiver (I did ). It is organized so that people are spread out and not coming into contact with anyone. We are expected to wear mask, and they will provide if we ask. The nurse is called every time a person comes in to check their temp and do the questions.

Im lucky that my media center is spread out and can allow one person at a table, if people decided to come in for whatever reason and I am behind my circulation desk.

Our school year ends in 2 weeks. This week I will be at school, outside in mask, gloves and a fan, lol, as the students come to drop off their books, textbooks, video equipment, and instruments. It is going to be HOT!
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

This is not true
Old 05-17-2020, 11:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I do not like to see false information being spread, especially in a forum for educated professionals. Masks do NOT harm your lungs, otherwise doctors and dentists and nurses would be falling down dead everywhere. Herd immunity only works if ANYONE has immunity, which, right now, is doubtful, considering we are dealing with a novel virus that did not exist until 2019.
broomrider
Old 05-18-2020, 04:08 PM
This message has been deleted by broomrider.

Fractured

Old 05-18-2020, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

You are never going to convince people to wear a mask, especially some of the people on this board. Itís sad, but itís a lost cause trying to argue with them about it.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote