Help

Second Grade

Need Math Center Ideas

>

Hokie Fan

Need Math Center Ideas
Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've decided on 2 main goals for the year. Get organized (done) and begin math centers. I've got some basic activities (tangrams, ordinal number memory game, flash cards, addition flower match game) but would like some more ideas. Math center time is very noisy right now because I do not have many activities, so there are several kids at each one. What types of activities do ya'll do for math centers? Thanks!

Hokie Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

donna

Math Centers
Old 09-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I got the idea for using Math Binders from another poster on PT. Take inexpensive math workbooks from Walmart etc... Tear out the pages and put them in page protectors then place them all in a binder (answer key and all). The kids just work on a page, check their answers in the back and wipe the page clean when done.

I use Number Family Tubs to work on math facts. Those are independent level work but need to be taught and modeled how to use them.

Learn more about those here.
http://www.theschoolbell.com/Links/m...ain/index.html

You can also teach different math games to use for center time.
There is a thread a little further down with different dice games you could use.

Hope this helps!
donna is online now   Reply With Quote

Steph

brainstormed list
Old 09-29-2006, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

addition "battle" with cards (whoever adds the two numbers together first gets the pair)

tic tac toe (use a worksheet for questions or put on index cards...answer a question correctly and put a mark on the board)

concentration: make cards with fractions and pictures of matching fractions, equivalent equations, digital and analog time, etc.

Pick 3: pick three cards and make the biggest number possible...write in expanded notation and with base 10 blocks

Number hunts through the newspaper.

Choose a grocery insert...choose a price and write how many ways you can make that amount of money. Use real money to model or money stamps.

Measure around the room...weight, nonstandard measurement, inches, feet.

Jigsaw puzzles

Base 10 pictures: make pictures using copied pictures of the blocks. I saw a cute kitty using flat, rods, and units. Write the number your picture is worth....saw this using a Smartboard...totally cute and can't wait to use it.

There are a few things off the top of my head. I have some games but these are things that don't cost much money.

Good Luck,
Steph
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote

summertime

rolling for numbers
Old 09-29-2006, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

this is a great game.
Attached Files
File Type: doc rollingfornumbers.doc (31.0 KB, 2253 views)
summertime is offline   Reply With Quote
somuchtodo

somuchtodo

centers
Old 09-30-2006, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

try www.mathwire.com
so many easy, effective ideas, perfect for centers

Winn-Dixie

math centers
Old 09-30-2006, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

we are required to do small math groups every day. so i've divided my class into 2 groups (ideally, i'd like 3 groups but time won't allow for it). anyways, i work with a group of 12 on my carpet teaching whatever skill we're learning.

the other 12 are involved in centers. i have a TON of centers that i used last year, but right now my student have only been introduced to 3. they each have a partner for centers, so basically they just play games to reinforce addition/subtraction skills. i teach a new center every monday and they practice that center. right now i'm telling them what center they need to do each day. eventually, they'll have the choice to pick the center they want to play with their partner.

these are my centers right now:

domino addition : they pick 2 dominoes and write out a number sentence and solve it.

dice subtraction - roll 2 dice. make a number sentence and find the difference.

4 in a row - looks like bingo board. they roll 2 dice. add it up and color their square on the board. whoever gets 4 in a row wins.

card games: addition war. throw out 2 cards. whoever says the sum first, wins the cards.

make 10 - throw down one card. then figure out what hte other number is that will make 10. example: i throw down a 4. whoever says that 6 is the answer needed to make 10 will win that card.

money: ask them to find different ways to find a certain amount of money. they can use coins then write down their answers.

digits: take out 4 cards (or however many cards your kids can handle). they have to write the smallest number that those 4 cards make. then htey have to write the largest number that those 4 cards make.

i have a ton of other centers that i've used...but i can't seem to remember them. i have a HUGE binder filled with activities. if you need more ideas, i can look in my binder and let you know!

ALSO, in my small groups I have students that are very high in math. so i just bought evan-moor math centers. i'm going to use these for the kids that finish fast. i don't like to send them back to centers because it messes up my groups. so, instead i send them to another table and they will play these centers (once i make them!!!!)

there are also great books out there that give tons of examples to use for math centers. the books i have are at school, so i can't remember the name of them!
Winn-Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote

kit1024

the cup game
Old 10-03-2006, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

put a cup(medium size) and some counters of some sort at the center. Designate the desired number to use for that day (from 5-12). The students get that number of counters out and put the rest aside. One student closes their eyes while the other student hides a few or none or all of the cubes under the cup. The other student opens their eyes and has to guess how many are under the cup. (based on how many are outside of the cup.)

I actually do this activity with my whole class pretty often, just having them work in partners. This really helps students get familiar with the combinations that make up each number. Also, the kids are practicing subtraction without even knowing it. (total number of cubes-number of cubes outside the cup = number of cubes under the cup). My kids love it and it really helps with their math skills.
kit1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

mmnj

thanks!
Old 10-04-2006, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I like Rolling for Numbers! Thanks!
mmnj is offline   Reply With Quote

Racheljz82

Old 01-16-2007, 03:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks everyone, I found these activities really helpful Love the dice game
Racheljz82 is offline   Reply With Quote

buffett fan

Old 07-23-2009, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

really like the cup game, thanks

buffett fan is offline   Reply With Quote

wsgr5

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm always looking at new center ideas. These were great!
wsgr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
dryw

dryw

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

These are some wonderful ideas! Thanks a ton!
3rdgrdddd

3rdgrdddd

Centers
Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Folder Games- You can buy pre-made centers that you tear out and glue onto a folder…easy, fun, and effective!

Addition/subtraction/multiplication- either big dice or small dice, have students roll 2 dice and add/subtract/multiply the numbers! This also can be done with a deck of cards with no face cards. Also can be done with dominoes.

Word Worth- Assign each letter of the alphabet a coin, then have students find out how much their spelling words are worth!

Time- Have a sheet of clocks (for instance that have times from 1:00-6:00) and let students cut them out and glue them in order on sentence strips.
Patterns- Have students lay out beads on a beading tray in a pattern, then color the pattern on a sheet of paper.

Race to 100- have students pull out counters, each that have a number from 1-100 on them. Match them up with the numbers on a 100s chart.

Looney Spoons-On wooden ice cream spoons (or other shapes—stars, hearts, etc.—sold at Wal-Mart or Michael’s) write an addition/subtraction/multiplication/division problem on one side, and the answer on the other. Students can quiz themselves or others.

Geometry- Have students do a room walk and find shapes such as rectangles, circles, squares, etc.

Journal- One math center is a journal. I have a math question or problem typed up that they glue into their journal, date it, then answer it...showing me how they solved the problem. Those who don't write very well still have to draw a picture and be able to explain it to me.

Memory- Have cards with the numerals 1-10 and the words for the numbers 1-10 and have students play memory.

Wipe Away- Acquire practice sheets of the skill you are currently working on. Put them in plastic sleeves, and then in a binder with dry erase markers. Allow students to fill it out, check their answers, and then erase.

Newspaper Number Hunt- Have students search through the newspaper, find a number, and glue it on a top of a worksheet that then asks questions such as, “What number is in the tens digit?” “What would it be if I added 10?” or, “What if you add all the digits together?” OR you can have students cut out food adds and then show different ways to pay for the item (for example a banana is $0.50 you can pay with 2 quarters or 5 dimes).

sheGT

Salute
Old 01-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I learned this at a recent NCTM conference in Nashville.

Using a deck of cards (I like the big oversized ones for fun) students are split into groups of 3. One is the general, the other 2 are soldiers. Each soldier gets a card and cannot look at it. The general calls out "salute". The soldiers salute with their cards - each card facing the other person. The general can call out the sum, product, or difference of the 2 cards (this is to be decided before beginning the game). Each soldier, knowing the answer and other soldier's card, has to guess their own card before their opponent. Whichever student guesses their card correctly first wins the pair and then the play starts over again. You can also use this game with integers having red for positive and black for negative numbers - for example.
When I first explained this game to my classes, they were not sure about whether they would like it, but after playing it they now love it. It has all 3 participants practicing the same skill without knowing it, and decks of cards are inexpensive which is great on a teaching budget
sheGT is offline   Reply With Quote

qtbeki1

Thank You
Old 09-25-2010, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I Love Rolling Numbers, I took it and modified it for my 5th grade class
qtbeki1 is offline   Reply With Quote

danopj

rolling numbers
Old 09-25-2010, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

can you post or explain how you modified it
danopj is offline   Reply With Quote

ashpanash

Old 01-22-2011, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'd love to know how it was modified as well. I teach grade 5 and have trouble finding ideas!
ashpanash is offline   Reply With Quote

KP/NH

Another source for math activities
Old 01-23-2011, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

You may already know of this site, but here it is again anyway. There are free math games and activities for all grade levels ready to print and use, but you do have to look through the week by week essentials files to find them. Just click on the grade range, and it will take you to a page that has each grade level listed by itself. Might be good for differentiating too, because you could get the game or activity for the grade below and above.

http://mathlearnnc.sharpschool.com/c...pageId=4993281
KP/NH is offline   Reply With Quote

Nettle

Perfect!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

This it exactly what I have been looking for! Thank you!
Nettle is offline   Reply With Quote

mrstomisser

Rolling numbers motified
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

THANKS for sharing this game, my students are older, so I just changed it a bit.
Rolling for Numbers!

•Using your dice, first multiple them together, then divide , you might have remainders at times when dividing…that’s okay.
•Challenge: use more than two dice & do double digit by double digit

I rolled Highest Number Lowest Number #'s mulltiplied #'s divided
mrstomisser is offline   Reply With Quote

pineapple jam

Old 06-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Great dice game,Im excited to use thanks
pineapple jam is offline   Reply With Quote

patschmidt

wow
Old 06-23-2011, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

there are some great ideas here... great link.. I didn't have that one... Thanks!!
patschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote