Reading Passages

>

Closed Thread

Lost

Lost

Reading Passages
Old 09-12-2006, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Im a first year teacher and have no materials to pull from and was wondering where I could find the best resources online to pull from to find passages for 5th grade to read from to work on Fluency and Comprehension. I am a title one teacher and am also wondering the same about 2nd grade? Thanks

sarahNC

sarahNC

dibels
Old 09-12-2006, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

this website has short passages that help with fluency. You have to sign up to get the materials downloaded but it is free. Since you are a first year teacher I will explain quickly how to use them (just in case!) I printed out the stories only, other wise you will print 50 pages. Every day for one week the students have one minute to read as much as the passage as possible (same one all week). by the end of the week they have learned many new words, and have learned to look ahead in order to "finish it." this will help students with their fluency. Since your Title 1 its also good because there are different grade levels, so a 5th grader ,may need to read the passages from the 3rd grade download and so on. I saw it used in a special ed class and the kids thought of it as a game, they really enjoyed it. Since you have small groups it may be easier to control. I plan on doing them every other week. hope this helps!

https://dibels.uoregon.edu/

MJay

fluency pages
Old 09-12-2006, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

check out readinga-z.com This has a subscription price. It will give you levels a - z fluency passages, guided readers, reader's theatre scripts and more.
MJay
hayet

hayet

Fluency passages
Old 09-17-2006, 10:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi, I am first year teacher and need a lot of help. All my 2 nd grade students are second language learners and I need to help them with fluency. Please, can you share your a-z fluency passages. Thanks.

PatK

PatK

free reading passages
Old 09-23-2006, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

try these sites:
www.busyteachercafe.com
www.abcteach.com
www.edhelper.com
These sites have free ones and also have other stories available for subscribers only. I belong to edHelper.com.
There are also more sites---just do a google.com search for reading comprehension
You can also email me at luvdawgs@aol.com and I will try to help you some more. I also teach 2nd grade and give my kids at least 2 stories a week and they do them without help and then we go over them (they are graded assignments). Make sure when you hand out a story that you MAKE them underline or circle where they got the answer in the story. You will be amazed at the number of kids making 100% when they do that. Many of the ones that steadfastly refuse to do this make a lot of mistakes. When they finally realize it they do better.

Miss Teacher

Miss Teacher

Reading
Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Starfall.com is one of my all time favorite websites to use with students who need extra help in reading! Or even if they don't (it's a great website!)

Risa
Old 10-03-2007, 12:59 PM
This message has been deleted by Risa. Reason: Some of the sites aren't working
reader42

reader42

fluency passages
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use a book by Katherine Hall. It is called REading Stories for Comprehension Success. I use it to check fluency by timing the students but it also has comprehension questions built in.

She has several books ranging from 1st to 12th grade (i think)

It is very good. It also helps with open ended questions.

Audrey Bucha

Audrey Bucha

Teacher
Old 06-17-2008, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am looking for reading passages that can be timed to determine the number of words a potential third grader is currently reading. What are some passages I can use?

NJH1

NJH1

parent of 2nd grade boy and 4th grade girl
Old 07-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would like to assist my kids in additional lessons at home to help with reading fluency and comprehension. I'd like them to read at least two books a week to discuss. The problem is I don't know what books will be age appropriate.

barbara m

barbara m

2nd grade teacher
Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

the class is divided into 3 levels of readers. While I am doing Guided Reading with one group, I need 2 different activities for the rest of the class. I found a reading passage along with questions, color and write sheet on abc.teach but want to know how I can differentiate it for the 2 groups. I searched and did not find anything else like this sample.
Any suggestions?

Perla

Perla

testing reading comprehension
Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm first year English teacher and I need reading passages to train and test my young pupils. Please help me find passages with resources. Thank you

kkatzpurr

Need help with reading....
Old 03-29-2010, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hello,

I could really use some help with reading comprehension and strategies. I teach reading, and I also teach resource students who are struggling readers. Please help. :-)

Thank you so much for all your help. If you want to e-mail me personally...my e-mail is kimberly-rains@hotmail.com

kahluablast

Old 01-09-2012, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

www.ReadWorks.org
www.abcteach.com for passages and comprehension activities by grade level.

For fluency, select a passage and count the words. Have them read while you time them, then figure the words per minute. It doesn't take long.