Help

Third Grade

pencil sharpening

>

hana

pencil sharpening
Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you sharpen all your used pencils at the end of the day, or do you teach kids to do it, to sharpen their own? Last year i had them sharpen their own, but the noise of the sharpener was distracting to some.
Any ideas?

hana is offline   Reply With Quote

smithteach3rd

Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach my kids to do it....it is job at the end of the day.
smithteach3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Third graders need to be responsible for their own pencils, in my opinion. I don't allow them to do it when I'm teaching, but during work time is okay. I encourage them to do it during extra bits of time - coming in from lunch, getting ready to go home, etc.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

crzytch

Students Responsible for 2 Sharp Pencils
Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I tell my 3rd graders they are responsible for having 2 sharp pencils at all times.

The electric sharpener is open for business the first 10 minutes of the day and the last 10 minutes. In between if there is a louder work period, using it is also acceptable.

I ask them not to use it during instructional time, or quieter work time out of respect for their teacher and classmates.

If they find they need a pencil sharpened in the meantime, they have 2-3 handheld sharpeners at their table they can use.

If they do not have the materials they need for a lesson, they could get fined (classroom $) for not being responsible for their supplies. (Haven't had to fine them once for this yet.)
crzytch is offline   Reply With Quote

courtney8709

Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like the idea of them being responsible, but last year my 3rd graders broke three different pencil sharpeners. This year I will be doing all the sharpening.

courtney8709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Raptorgirl

Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with them being responsible, but they are not responsible enough to take care of my pencil sharpener. I've gone through 3 or four over the last couple of years, so I do all the sharpening. I have a dull/sharp jar the students use when needed a pencil. They are required to return a pencil before taking a pencil.

Also, third graders cannot manage their pencils, so I take them all at the beginning of the year to ensure we have pencils to last us. We always make it to the end with pencils to spare while many other teachers do not!
Raptorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Henrietta

I have a student in charge of sharpening
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

before morning announcements and again during community cleanup. Otherwise, the students must use their staedtler sharpeners. I have the pencil sharpener monitor watch for an over heating motor ( only twenty pencils can be sharpened and then must wait for the motor to cool off for a few minutes) to reduce the number of expensive electric sharpeners I need to purchase. The most recent has lasted three years!
Henrietta is offline   Reply With Quote

Henrietta

I have a student in charge of sharpening
Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

before morning announcements and again during community cleanup. Otherwise, the students must use their staedtler sharpeners. I have the pencil sharpener monitor watch for an over heating motor ( only twenty pencils can be sharpened and then must wait for the motor to cool off for a few minutes) to reduce the number of expensive electric sharpeners I need to purchase. The most recent has lasted three years!
Henrietta is offline   Reply With Quote

lucybrown

Old 08-16-2011, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The pencil sharpener noise drives me crazy. Last year I did what Henrietta did. I had two kids sharpen pencils as their job. All sharpened pencils were placed in a bucket. If a pencil broke they could switch it out. No noise! Best thing I ever did.
lucybrown is offline   Reply With Quote

jussttjill

Pencil Sharpening
Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I send home their pencil cases on Friday and they have to replenish and/or sharpen at least 5 pencils over the weekend so the sharpening during class time is minimal. This has cut down on interruptions during the day tremendously!

jussttjill is offline   Reply With Quote

lynned

I do it
Old 08-16-2011, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

because it saves time and my sharpener last longer. I do two in the morning than again after lunch. They know that I will not sharpen pencils again once I'm done in the morning. I literally put it away or cover it up. Out of sight out of mind. It works great.
lynned is offline   Reply With Quote

Josie3rd

Pencil madness!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Pencil sharpening is one of my biggest pet peeves of elementary school. I've always had problems until this year. I put a cup of about 10 pencils at each table (6 kids at each table). I sharpen them all at the end of the day. So far, this has worked wonders. If one breaks, they put it back in the cup and get a new one. Nobody has to get out of their seats, there's no sharpener noise, and everyone is much happier!!
Josie3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

frogteacher58

I'm all for responsiblity
Old 08-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

but man I hate that noise and EVERY year they break it!!! I am lucky to have another full time para with two kiddos this year and she has volunteered again to do it after school each day!
frogteacher58 is offline   Reply With Quote

ljsplmi

sharpening
Old 08-16-2011, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I always sharpen pencils. The sharpener I use is about 8 years old, very heavy, but no one makes one like it anymore - every other one made in China and worth nothing. I am very concerned that it won't make it through another year and parts no longer available either. I also buy only Ticondoraga pencils as they are the only ones that always have the lead centered and made with real wood, not saw dust. So many of the others students bring in, are so bad, they could easily sharpen the whole thing in a day as the lead keeps breaking and many are not usable as the off center always leaves a wood part so it won't write. At any rate, I do not want children over heating the sharpener or jamming pencils in too hard.
Last year I had to go to kids signing out pencils in April as each morning the pencil jar would have only 10 or so short pencils left. They signed one out in the morning and then had to trade if it broke. One student was in charge of the jar each day. I sharpen enough for the day, with extras and now have most of them back at the end of the day. I thought about collecting all the pencils at the beginning of the year, but was afraid parents would complain if I took them to pass out during the year. Maybe I will try that also.
ljsplmi is offline   Reply With Quote

m.frances

electric sharpener for yellow pencils only!
Old 08-17-2011, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Hi,
we figured out that it is the pencils with a design on them that was breaking our sharpeners. They have a plastic coating that kind of peels of and that is what was jamming our pencils. This year I am making a sign that says "Yellow pencils only!"

I did it as a job at the end of the day, but this year I want to keep a bin at each group that has pencils and pens in it. We use pens to correct work and it was always an ordeal handing them out and collecting them!
m.frances is offline   Reply With Quote

KeepTheFaith

Buckets
Old 08-17-2011, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have a bucket of pencils that I sharpen at the beginning of the year and a bucket that they will put their broken pencils in. When the broken pencil bucket starts to fill up, I sharpen them myself. I like this because I am not sharpening pencils everyday!!
KeepTheFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Starfish3

sharp and dull pencil containers
Old 08-17-2011, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'm also going to have one container for sharpened pencils and another for dull ones, so that when they need a pencil, they place the dull one and take a new one. I will have one student at the end of the day who is responsible for sharpening the dull pencils.

I'm unsure of what to do about coloured pencil crayons though. Last year, with grade 1s, I kept all of their pencil crayons in cloth pencil cases and kept them in two big bins (one for boys, one for girls), so when it was time to do journals or a special art project, they could go up and get their pencil crayon case when they were ready. This way, they werent using their pencil crayons for every assignment that required colouring, and the pencils lasted longer, and needed to be sharpened less often. This year I will have grade 2/3 and I want to give them more freedom of their own supplies, but I'm worried about how often they will need sharpening. Any ideas?
Starfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr.D

Individual sharpeners
Old 08-18-2011, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I included individual sharpeners on the supply list this year so that they can keep them in their desk. It helped a lot last year around mid way through the year. It's amazing how long it takes third graders to sharpen pencils and how many pencil sharpeners they can go through in a year (three last year).
Mr.D is offline   Reply With Quote

stayw/smiles

The thing I hate...
Old 08-19-2011, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

is when they just get really picky or (lazy?) and take a new pencil from the "sharpened" container before it's really necessary. In other words, the "unsharpened" container gets full by mid-morning!

I've tried labels on pencils or colored erasers to give them more incentive to keep track of their pencils, but it's a lot of work for me.
stayw/smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

leshutton

Hand helds
Old 08-19-2011, 11:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

We used to have the kids bring in hand held sharpeners to use during the day, but our janitors complained about the mess on the carpeted floor, so now we can't have them. I am back to going nuts about pencil sharpening. Thanks for all of the ideas!
leshutton is offline   Reply With Quote