Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

What Not to Wear

>

tammynj

What Not to Wear
Old 07-20-2012, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

is definitely one of my top-favorite shows. I love it. I am so glad they started making new episodes again. Besides getting great fashion advice, I love both Clinton and Stacey, and I feel the show is really about more than just dressing well. It's so much more -it's about someone's confidence and self-image.

I taped a few shows and just watched two episodes. One was especially great - a mid 2O year old girl from Tennessee who was frump city. Her (not stylish) grandmother would pick out her clothes and she just looked...terrible. At 43, I wouldn't be caught dead in the clothes she wore. Her friends nominated her b/c they were worried that life was passing her by... Anyway, not to go on too much about it. What a transformation for this girl (who was cute as a button but worried about her weight) = you can see that this experience has impacted her life. She was like a different person at the end (yet, they helped her find clothes that suited her personality and that allowed her to maintain the modesty that she required).

Anyway - I just always feel happy at the end of one of their shows.

kidsrme11

Old 07-20-2012, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

WNTW is one of my favorite shows, too! I saw the one you talked about and that girl was too sweet for words! I would love to be on that show. Wouldn't it be great to feel confident in how you look every day?!

mgf91280

Old 07-20-2012, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I saw that episode! It made me cry!! That girl was so sweet; definitely sheltered and insecure. I loved how she hugged the mannequin when Stacey and Clinton showed her a sample outfit. It was refreshing to see someone on WNTW that was super nice (and didn't make me want to roll my eyes at them or make sarcastic comments!)

Room4Rocks

I <3 Clinton and Stacy!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I actually submitted a colleague at my school for the show. I got to the part of the application process where you have to secretly film them and I got cold feet. I didn't know how she would react....But, she TOTALLY needs a make-over. My principal has had to talk to her several times about her inappropriate clothing. (like showing your belly and camel toe) She has an incredible figure and works out like crazy, but she admits, "I haven't bought clothing since the 80s." We offer to take her shopping all the time!! But she always turns us down.

She recently told my colleague that she was debating about getting a new Coach handbag. My colleague told her, "No one really sees a handbag. Why don't we go shopping for some new clothes." The next day, she arrived with the handbag!

Like tammynj, I always feel happy, too!

Ally

Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love What Not to Wear too! I enjoyed her episode. Wasn't she about 25 or so? Her grandma outfits were awful!! Worse than my grandma actually dressed!

Did you see the recent one where another young 20ish girl who endured a bad breakup was losing her way and was now just into gaming? She was a strange little thing...but wow! What a transformation! I think Clinton and Stacey really helped her self-esteem along the way too.

She was very receptive to the help, like the grandma dresser. And she let Ted cut her hair. I hate it when they say no to him. Clearly they all need help...and while I know he often goes short... it is just hair! It will grow back so why not try it?

I really enjoy that show too! Clinton and Stacey never fail to make me laugh!

Teach25+

Love this show!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I started watching episodes of WNTW this summer. I've got a bunch DVRd. I actually get teary-eyed at the end of some of the shows. Clinton and Stacey just click so effortlessly. They crack me up! Not only that, I'm learning a lot!

SusaninNJ

What not to Wear
Old 07-20-2012, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love this show, but didn't know that there were new episodes! Thanks for posting.

trishg1

Old 07-21-2012, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Did you see the show a few years ago where folks auditioned to be Stacy and Clinton? The hardest part the contestants had was being brutally honest while being sensitive and funny. I hadn't thought about what a gift Stacy and Clinton have until I saw how lousy others are. It made me think about how I work with my volleyball team- finding ways of forcing them to stop whatever behavior is wrong while lifting them up as people. You are right, it's not about clothes, it's about wearing your personality.

I also like that they say its not just the price of clothes. Stacy has said more than once you can find great pieces in Kmart or even a thrift store, but you have to make sure it fits you, or something like that.

Lakeside

Old 07-21-2012, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'll be the lone dissenter. I think that show is mean.

Don't we teach our students not to judge others based on appearances?

tammynj

Old 07-21-2012, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Don't we teach our students not to judge others based on appearances?
To a degree, but appearances are important, and it's silly to say otherwise. The thing with the show is that no one's physical appearance is ridiculed - and they have people of all shapes and sizes on the show. No one is made fun of for a physical characteristic or trait that it is impossible to change/hard to change. (in fact, they always say - dress the body you have now, instead of speaking of dieting or any thing like that - that is not where their area of expertise is and I appreciate that they focus on the reality of each person's physique). The girl we were talking about in the posts above - the one who dressed like a grandmother - was overweight. She was self-conscious about it so Stacey and Clinton showed her ways to dress to downplay that and to play up her assets. They never make fun of someone's weight and always draw attention to a person's good points - and sometimes (many times!) that person didn't even seem to be aware that they had any good features (which is very sad). It is such a self-esteem booster.

Another common thread of the show is that the way people are dressing is holding them back professionally and/or embarrassing their kids/family. This could be people who dress very sloppily/carelessly, people who dress way too provactively/inappropriately, or people who do not dress their age. If someone is in sweats and a t-shirt, or in a halter top and short-shorts, sorry - they are not going to get ahead in most professions. Stacey and Clinton help them dress in a way that will improve their chances. It seems that many of the contributors just plain old didn't know how to dress themselves in a better way, so had just given up.

trishg1

Adding to tammynj
Old 07-21-2012, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ive only seen two participants go back to their old ways. Overwhelmingly those who receive this make over are so, so grateful. The receive truth. Telling someone that they are selling themselves short is not judgemental.

Mrs. O

Old 07-23-2012, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This is one of my favorites too. I love the episode the OP mentioned, in fact I enjoy them all.