Help

Daily 5

Daily 5 & Standards?

>

chickymonkey

Daily 5 & Standards?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I have been interested in Daily 5 for a while now. I purchased the book and have enjoyed reading about the structure it can provide to a Reading block. The one thing I can't figure out is how the ELA standards are incorporated. Are they taught during "mini lessons"? How do you monitor mastery of those standards with this program? My district wants us to focus on Marzano, learning goals, and performance scales. How can I make this work? Is anyone able to?

chickymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Daily 5
Old 06-13-2016, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Daily 5 is not really a program - it's a structure where you are able to teach small groups and individual students while the rest of the class is engaged in authentic reading and writing. I do a modified D5/workshop approach in 5th, but I used "true" D5 when I taught 1st. I use the standards to guide our mini lessons, and then assess through student work, projects, responses, etc. Some of these responses are completed during my "D5" because I created a "Response to Reading" choice since it seemed appropriate for 5th.

Have you read CAFE? That book talks about the reading strategies that are addressed during mini lessons. The sisters' website has a great chart that matches up the common core standards with the reading strategies.

I can't speak to Marzano, etc, because I know nothing about it. Hope that helps a little bit anyway.
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote