First Grade

Doesn't Know Letters

>

WorriedFrien

WorriedFrien

Doesn't Know Letters
Old 01-14-2017, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey everyone! I teach fifth grade, so I was hoping to get some insight from some of you wonderful lower grade teachers!

A woman from my church has a son in the first grade. He doesn't know his letters. I met with him last week and he was only able to recognize to or three letters (mostly letters from his name). He usually tries to guess "s" for whatever letter he is shown.

He is in the resource program at his school. His mom is really worried though because he doesn't seem to be improving. This family has other children who have been in the resource program in the past. I think she was hoping that there would be something she could do to help him.

Do you have any ideas? I feel so bad for him. His class is reading and he can't do any of the work because he doesn't know his letters. I am looking for anything that might help: tutoring programs, apps (he loves his tablet), strategies, websites, anything!

Thank you!

SaraFirst

Letters
Old 01-14-2017, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A few app ideas...Kindergarten Bingo from ABCya, Teach Me (the toddler version has letters, Kindergarten starts with words, Feed Me. If I were her, I would probably focus on learning a few letters at a time (ones in his name) then add more as he progresses.
SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

1elateacher

I would probably
Old 01-14-2017, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

start with a few letters each week and teach letter recognition and phonics. Starfall is a good program to reinforce skills.
1elateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

Old 01-15-2017, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What about trying The Talking Letter Factory from Leap Frog. It goes over and over letter names and the sounds they make. I know lots of kids who have learned their letters this way, including my own DS who was and still is a reluctant reader.
You can find the full version online
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
WorriedFrien

WorriedFrien

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2017, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the ideas! I really hope that I can give her some piece of mind.

booklady57

Could I also suggest
Old 01-15-2017, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

some practice of the letters that involves more motor involvement? Like drawing big letters on the sidewalk with chalk and running around them, tracing letters in sand or shaving cream, making letters from clay, singing songs that have letters and letter sounds (nothing fancy, just make up little silly songs), drawing the letters in the air, or on a chalkboard with a paintbrush dipped in water, etc.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote