First Grade

quizes in first grade

>

grades

grades

quizes in first grade
Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What kind of assignments do you grade your first graders on and how often? My grading is more based on observations and assessments instead of actual quizzes but I know parents also want to know how their child is doing so I don't know if I should be sending home weekly quizzes for each subject.

Here's what I am doing now:
Spelling: Weekly test
Math: end of unit assessment, usually every 5 - 6 weeks
Grammar: no quizzes, just observations of their daily writing and classwork.
Comprehension: no quizes, just observations during lessons and how much help they need during comprehension responses.
Decoding: observations of responses during class lessons and class work, such as sorting worksheets, phonics worksheets.

Should I be creating weekly quizzes for each of these subjects?
What do other people do?
I know some people input weekly grades on their online portal but is that just grading class worksheets or is it actual quizzes?
Thanks

TishFish

Quizzes
Old 02-13-2017, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our math program includes progress checks every 5 lessons or so. I always give these because I feel like they are short enough to be low stress and give me a good idea of who needs help. Today I had about 4 that got the same ones wrong. I am sitting down with them tomorrow to reteach. It's a small portion of their actual grade, but I just find it helps me.

I also did some googling and found another teacher who had created both reading comprehension and decoding quizzes for my reading program (Reading Street). The assessments included in the program were too hard and didn't give me useful feedback as a teacher. These assessments as 6-8 questions about the main selection and then 10 "decoding" multiple choices with the weekly spelling and phonics patterns. These I use as a formal assessment grade for reading, since I meet with them in small groups every week and do my informal and observation type assessment then.
TishFish is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

I use the word "grades"
Old 02-13-2017, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

loosely in first grade. I only give true "percentage" grades on unit spelling tests (which include dictation sentence) every couple of weeks as well as unit math tests whenever the unit ends, approximately 4 - 6 weeks each unit. In my Language Arts program (Super kids) I give Daily Dictation (Memory Words and Pattern words as well as 3 sentences. I correct these and send them home so parents can see what their first grader does incorrectly...is it capitals at the beginning of each sentence? Ending punctuation?, Memory (sight) words or the spelling patterns? I also do DRAs 3 times each year and students graph these levels as well as their spelling grades and also set goals for themselves. The graphs go home for parents to see, sign and make a plan to help students meet their goals. My math units also include periodic assessments at the end of each skill within units but on these students are graded as: Meets the Benchmark, Partially Meets the Benchmark, Does Not Meet the Benchmark - a page is attached to each assessment describing what is needed to Meet the Benchmark. Beginning in January each year, I give timed math facts tests. These are true percentage grades. Students move on only when they score 100% on a set of math facts. Hope this is helpful!
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

1elateacher

Old 02-13-2017, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My district uses the "Journeys" basal series. I give the comprehension tests after each story. I have to have at least 9 grades every 9 weeks for report cards.
1elateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Grades
Old 02-15-2017, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I send home weekly spelling and math tests (every few weeks).
Also send most corrected written daily work, written math lesson work. They take home guided reading books for homework. I keep all the running records (Fountas & Pinnnell) that I can share with parents as needed.

We do DIBELS assessments 3x year. These also are shared in a conference as needed.

Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote