Help

Teachers' Lounge

do it yourself gel manicure?

>

Munchkins

do it yourself gel manicure?
Old 08-05-2017, 04:50 AM

Hi!

I don't want to go to the fuss of the real ones at the salon that I have to keep up with, but I saw something (I think here) about do it yourself gel nail polish. Does anyone know the brand? I'm thinking it was Sally Hansen, but I'm not sure.

Thanks! Regular manicures don't last a day, so if I found something that stayed on for a week, I'd be thrilled! TIA!

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 08-05-2017, 05:23 AM

I've tried the Sally Hansen. It's not really gel. A true gel manicure is one which is cured under a uv or led lamp. I do my own and have for a number of years. There was a fair bit of a learning curve but now my nails look as good and last as long as the ones I had done at the nail place. I got a starter kit at Sally Beauty and watched a lot of YouTube videos. I can't keep regular polish on at all. If you don't want to commit to learning how to use gel, I have had some success with CND vinylux which requires a special topcoat. Last time I was in the States I saw its now available at Walmart. It lasted close to a week for me.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 08-05-2017, 05:29 AM

I use OPI clear top coat over regular polish. It's thicker than nail polish and I always give it about 30 minutes to dry, but I can last a week using this. Just make sure you cover your entire nail and especially the tips which are normally the first to chip.
noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 08-05-2017, 05:40 AM

I would like to do my own also. Like you, regular polish doesn't last over a day for me. I have seen kits you can buy that include the small uv light to cure the nails. I was thinking about one of those.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 AM

I bought my dd a gel light and supplies a couple of years ago for Christmas or a birthday. She uses it all the time. Saves her a ton of money. Every once in a while I go over for a spa day and do mine, too. It definitely was a good purchase.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 AM

The Sally Hanson lasted about a week for me, but the smell was horrible. It was also tricky to remove.

I started getting mine done at the salon. I get the gel polish and a manicure every three weeks for $25. I have nice regular nails, so I just get polish. I have no desire to get the gel nails themselves.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2017, 10:03 AM

You've been very helpful!

Ima- I didn't know there was a difference between gel polish and gel nails- good to know! I'll get them done professionally for my son's wedding in Feb., and maybe I'll try them out ahead of time.

Thanks again! For now, I'll be shopping for one of those super-duper top coats.

1elateacher

i have tried
Old 08-05-2017, 02:57 PM

Essie gel polish. I ordered it from Amazon. It lasts for about a week on my finger nails and you cantake it off with regular polish remover.
1elateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Old 08-05-2017, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the tip! I'll check out the Essie gel polish (can't resist Amazon! )

ThirdNerd

Old 08-05-2017, 06:33 PM

I stopped the salon gel polish and have been using the Essie gel polish. I really like it - I can touch it up and add another topcoat to make it last over a week.

ThirdNerd is offline   Reply With Quote

KC14

Old 08-06-2017, 07:34 AM

I tried Sally Hanson and thought it was great the first time but after that for some reason, it did not seem to last much longer than regular polish. Essie may be better. Check Harmons - it looks like it is the same price as Amazon, you can see and compare colors and you can use the Bed Bath and Beyond coupons.

I had gel done twice last year - for my niece's wedding and my son's wedding. I loved it. I kept my nails polished for school but doing it on my own on the weekend and touching up multiple times during the week. I got gel again this past May for my other son's wedding and then again before going to Italy. I love the gel done at the salon. This last time, it lasted 5 weeks. Of course the nail beds grow and show after about 2-3 but I thought it still looked good. I am in cleaning mode now and my nails are naked but come September, I will be doing them again. Let us know how the Essie works out and definitely plan for salon gels for the wedding - you deserve it!
KC14 is offline   Reply With Quote