Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Decorating help: ugly shower door

>

momteachsis

Decorating help: ugly shower door
Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 PM

We have a walk in shower stall that is separate from our tub. I found this picture online that resembles our set up. The shower door tracks are really gross, rusty, and moldy even though I've tried cleaning them. Today the door came off the hinge and basically broke the track. The glass is fine. We have the money to replace the whole thing with a duplicate, but I don't want the same issue.
Would it be tacky to remove the front panels and top railing and use a shower curtain there instead? We don't have the money to renovate the whole shower and tub right now.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
momteachsis is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-14-2018, 09:22 PM

That set up looks surprisingly like my old house set up, except our window was almost that whole wall space and made of glass blocks (dated house) and our tub was a little larger

Our shower leaked a little, and it was a huge bathroom and we both use the bathroom at once and wanted a little privacy. So we hung a shower curtain inside the door. It wasn't pretty, but we were the only ones who saw it.

If I were you, I'd do just as you said for the time being. It's probably not going to look as good as a full unit would, but I'm totally on board with it and unless you are planning to entertain in the bathroom (are you??), I wouldn't worry about it!

I was so excited about the huge jacuzzi tub, btw, and I used it about 1 or 2 times for myself. Mostly of the time, I used it to bathe my trombone (and no, that is NOT a euphemism ).
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Gracekrispy
Old 11-14-2018, 09:27 PM

No we don't plan on entertaining in there
I don't use the jacuzzi tub either. I'd love to rip it all out and do a huge tiled double shower. Unfortuately that isn't in the budget right now.
momteachsis is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Shower
Old 11-14-2018, 09:46 PM

Go for the curtain. Do you use the tub at all? If not, put a shower curtain (curtains) across the entire area.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-15-2018, 03:55 AM

I think your idea is fine for now as other said who else is going to see it but you? I would hesitate about removing the top rails though because I think structurally that's helping to hold up that glass wall.

twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 11-15-2018, 08:11 AM

Another vote for curtain. I read somewhere that if you want to have an easy maintenance and good-looking house, it's a good idea to copy what decent hotels do. Do they have glass enclosures around their showers? No. They have white shower curtains that can be thrown into the wash (or replaced).

We've also got a glass enclosure (22 years old) and it's looking rather nasty despite wiping down each morning after we're done using it. Despite cleaners (gentle and industrial). Despite not having hard water. I wouldn't do it again. It looked beautiful for about such a short while before the battle began.

If you replace with another glass door you will duplicate the issues. I don't think there is any new technology out there (door materials or cleaners) that would make a 2018 door better than the one you are replacing.
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Shower curtains
Old 11-15-2018, 08:37 AM

are inexpensive. I would do a shower curtain and then save up money to replace the whole thing.

I hated the sliding door. I don't care how much you clean those tracks just can't be cleaned right. I now have a shower enclosure that has no metal frames and a door that opens just like a regular door. Best investment I have made,
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote