Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

PT Docs - Input welcome.

>

Clarity

PT Docs - Input welcome.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:41 AM

Tuesday, I went to my regular Yoga class. Due to my vacation and Christmas holidays, I had not been to Yoga in a month. We did a session where we just held positions for two minutes, which was difficult, but not that difficult. OK, Downward Dog followed by a plank was not easy. The next day, I felt kind of sore all over, so I took Advil before bed, something I rarely do.

Thursday, after a long busy day that included a day trip to Ottawa, I stood up from the couch around 8:30 p.m. and was suddenly almost overwhelmed by this unreal pain in my left breast, kind of behind it. I walked around for a few minutes, thinking it would pass. Then I took some aspirin and an Ativan, because I thought it might be a panic attack. I haven't had one in a long time and they usually presented more as a torso vice. Ativan usually ended them within 10-15 minutes. After 20 minutes, the pain had not lessened, so I had my sweetie take me to the ER, where we spent many hours.

After two EKGs and two blood tests, the doctor determined that it was not my heart. So what was it? The only thing I can think of is that I somehow pulled a muscle that didn't hurt for 48 hours? Last year, when I fell on ice, my rib did not start hurting for 48 hours, and then I was laid up with it for 2.5 months.

I no longer feel any pain, but that area is a bit tender if I cough (of course, I have a cold!) Anyone have any ideas about what this could be? I am not a baby when it comes to pain, but this was hideously and outrageously awful pain. I haven't been to the ER since the nineties.

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

Old 01-11-2020, 06:09 AM

I remember reading somewhere that when you over use your muscles they may not hurt the next day, but then when you carry on with your normal activities that is enough to push you over the edge. So, I guess you probably pushed it to the limit and then when you just went about your regular activities that may have provided enough additional strain to do it. Kind of like when you notice your muscles are more sore 2 days after you work out instead of the next day. Glad you are feeling better!
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 01-11-2020, 06:32 AM

Ouch! I'm do sorry you're in pain. I am glad you got it checked out just in case!
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 01-11-2020, 06:38 AM

Always so smart to get check when it could be heart symptoms.
It just seems that muscle pain wouldn't be so intense - if it happens again (the sharp pain),I would go and see my primary.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

lacey2

Pain
Old 01-11-2020, 07:24 AM

There is something called costochronditis that causes pain where the ribs and the sternum meet. It can cause severe pain in in the chest area, even mimicking heart issues. You can google it to find out more about it. Hope you feel better soon.

lacey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

Muscles and tendons are intertwined
Old 01-11-2020, 07:30 AM

I pulled or overstretched a muscle by my scapula in the back. The pain was in my heart location. I went to the ER too thinking it was heart attack. I know focus on stretching my back muscles to reduce the ‘heart’ pain. Keep moving those muscles. Research referred pain and trigger points. You may have stretched that muscle again with your everyday activities. (Carrying a heavy purse or teacher bag on your shoulder?)
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote