Ideas for staying healthy -- What can you add? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Ideas for staying healthy -- What can you add?

>

bGracie

Ideas for staying healthy -- What can you add?
Old 02-04-2020, 07:47 AM

Can you add some kind of advice, resources, etc. that have helped you stay or become healthy?

I have a resource to add that I might have learned about here on PT originally. It's jessicasmithtv on YouTube. She has about 450 free workout videos on YouTube of all levels and types. I've really enjoyed using her videos. She's very encouraging, and I can do lower intensity or higher intensity videos according to how I feel each day.

Can you share something?

bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-04-2020, 08:08 AM

I don’t know if this is what you’re looking for....

*I walk outdoors every day (of course, I think I’m lucky to live where this is possible). I believe the exercise and sunshine are good for me. I wear sunscreen, sunglasses, and a visor. My goal is 2020 miles in 2020.

*I love the free website MyFitnessPal. I track my weight, calories, and exercise every day. It keeps me honest and motivated.

*I love food. Chocolate and crunchy carbs are huge problems for me, so I’m always looking for satisfying treats. My current fave was recommended right here by Zia: apple slices and chocolate hummus from Trader Joe’s. Yum.

ETA: I use free MapMyFitness to record my daily walks. I only count exercise walking, not walking around the house or grocery store. I did 189.3 miles in January.

Last edited by amiga13; 02-04-2020 at 08:39 AM..
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Sleep eight hours every night.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:39 AM

To get good sleep, do not eat for 3 hours before bedtime, do not have a TV in bedroom, keep the room as dark as possible, no blue lights from devices.

Divide your weight in two and drink that many ounces of water per day.

Laugh a lot.

Eat lots of green vegetables.

Drink wine with dinner.
Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 02-04-2020, 08:51 AM

Add weights to your workouts. They help develop strong bones as well as muscles.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 02-04-2020, 09:48 AM

Heal your emotional wounds through whatever way you are comfortable-counseling, therapy, energy work, journaling, etc.

Meditation and prayer

Last edited by JanetL; 02-04-2020 at 02:51 PM..
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Exercise is good for you
Old 02-04-2020, 10:07 AM

but we all need so much more to be healthy.

WATER! Drink water all day long. In fact try not to consume many calories from your daily drinks by drinking water instead.

Take a daily vitamin to supplement your diet.

How is your skin health? Remember your skin is the largest organ of your body and deserves some care. Make sure your daily shower is not so hot it is drying out your skin. Hydrate after bathing to moisturize your skin. It helps trap some of the water you just experienced into your skin. Exfoliate somehow with a dry brush before bathing or a loofa or other scrubbing device during your shower. Wear sun screen for protection.

Quality of sleep is important. Have a good sleep routine that you follow most of the time.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 02-04-2020, 10:34 AM

I recently got a Vitamix blender and have started making smoothies. I really love them and it's an easy way to start the day with fruits/veggies. I make a big green smoothie every morning, and add in flax seed too. This along with drinking lots of water helps me.
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 02-04-2020, 01:25 PM

Sleep... The right amount of sleep every single night

Don't let stress take over, find ways to be happy despite factors that can cause stress
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Great compilation
Old 02-04-2020, 01:56 PM

I have found another thing that envelops me in healthy living is to surround myself with positive people.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 02-04-2020, 02:26 PM

I drink a ton of water on a daily basis. I can tell when I haven’t had enough.

I also journal, normally twice a month. It keeps me in the right headspace.

As far as food- I love all types of food so I don’t deprive myself of anything. I just watch portion sizes and don’t overindulge.

I meal plan and meal prep for lunches and dinners. It cuts down on ordering food and eating out during the week.

A few years ago I really cut back the amount of contact I had with some to ice family members and friends— it’s made life so exceptionally better.

I moisturize twice a day and make sure my morning one has SPF in it- my current one is 30 SPF.

Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

meditation or quiet time
Old 02-04-2020, 03:04 PM

Give yourself some time in the morning or evening or both to just sit and be still. Focus on your breath, thinking nothing and doing nothing. Even 5 minutes before you leave for work and 5 minutes when you come home is helpful. It just centers you and gives you a little space.

The other thing that has been helpful to me is following routines. I ride my stationary bike every day - no excuses. If I don't feel my best, I still make myself ride, I just ride slower or at less intensity. That way I stay on track.
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 02-04-2020, 03:45 PM

I find that I benefit from exercise the most when I do it first thing in the morning. It starts my day off and energizes me.

I also am a firm believer in getting levels checked and taking supplements, when needed. I was low in iron and getting my levels back to normal made a HUGE difference in how I felt.

I have to meal prep or I eat junk. I also some pre-cut veggies. Big time saver and then I have no excuses.

Time to relax and recharge is a must for me.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-04-2020, 04:55 PM

-Iíve started turning my tv off earlier and reading before I go to bed. I feel like thatís helped me get a more restful sleep.
-I agree with the water.
-It sounds obvious, but wash your hands. I never use hand sanitizer, I just wash my hands. That seems to really help.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

healthy tips
Old 02-04-2020, 06:32 PM

Get outdoors every day. Walk your dog. Have your coffee on the patio or porch. Clean up part of the yard. Wash your car. Go for a walk. People watch at a nearby park.

Enjoy silence and time alone. Every day I drive my 40 minute commute home in silence. I pray, talk to God, observe drivers around me, talk out loud to myself about my day.

Find a way to activate your creativity and enjoy the aesthetics of life . You don't have to be an artist. Buy a coloring book. Cook a new dish. Play with styling your hair a new way. Make a part of your home prettier with a new plant or something. Walk through an art museum.

I LOVE all the thoughts shared in this thread!
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 02-04-2020, 07:28 PM

Thanks for sharing, everyone! This thread is full of great ideas. I really appreciate it!
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

patch41

Healthy
Old 02-05-2020, 05:05 PM

In addition to all of the wonderful advice above:

*Don't miss your regular medical appointments, even when you're feeling fine. Get a yearly physical, visit your dentist/ ophthalmologist as your health plan allows, and don't forget to see the dermatologist for yearly skin checks. I felt absolutely fine when a dr. did my yearly physical and found cancer.

*Keep busy--not just with work, but with hobbies and other things you enjoy doing.

*Start the day remembering what you are thankful for. It sets a positive mood for the rest of the day.
patch41 is offline   Reply With Quote