Help

The VENT

Unpopular opinion

>

sonoma

Unpopular opinion
Old 03-18-2020, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We need to stop worrying about how these poor kids are going to learn. If parents can figure out how to access IG and Facebook they are computer savvy enough to figure out how to access learning site on their own. We need to refuse to enter our germy buildings to prepare for online teaching. So what if kids falls behind. Theyíll be ok if they donít master concepts on a specific time table.

We need to focus on staying home. If everyone was self distancing this would have been a short term thing. But too many idiots are running around like itís no big deal.

My job no longer exists if schools are closed. I donít get paid. Many others are without a paycheck. We need to focus on stopping the spread above anything else.

sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 03-18-2020, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I agree with you. Almost every school is experiencing the same thing. Kids are resilient. Stay home. 6 months of lost learning time in the scheme of things will mean nothing in our hopefully, long lives. But staying home can greatly increase how many in our community have long lives.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

FUNNYJOKER

Old 03-18-2020, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you. I needed to read this.
FUNNYJOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Susie-Girl

Yes
Old 03-18-2020, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I completely agree with you. Testing and school are NOT the most important things right now.
Susie-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Parents
Old 03-18-2020, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Also, many districts are just increasing the overwhelming stress on many parents who are already dealing with fear, childcare, aging parent care, no paychecks, food insecurity, paying the rent, and countless other problems right now. And many other parents work in healthcare, grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurant take-outs, necessary gov't jobs, public transportation, police/fire/EMTs, etc.

Thankfully, my district gave teachers a day (without kids) last week, to put learning websites up on the district website and make learning packets for home. They quickly made a plan for having bag breakfasts and lunches available at several schools starting this week. Everything is optional. No grades. Parent choice. Trying to reduce the stress.

It is kind of funny seeing a few parents complain on FB that they have no computer for their kids. Other parents jumped on them saying "Can't your kids use that cell phone you are using to post here on FB?"

jov is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 03-18-2020, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think everyone should just take a couple of weeks and chill. Let kids play video games. Better they are preoccupied with that than being scared. It gives parents time to work and get necessities and figure things out. If school is cancelled for the rest of the year, then start working out how to keep learning going. Kids can always read! That is what most of them need the most anyway. They can write/journal. They can practice math facts. They can learn to cook, sew, build stuff. I don't think it all needs to be structured computer learning. So glad I'm retired right now.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote
Frustrated98

Frustrated98

agreed
Old 03-19-2020, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I feel like this would be better than the pressure to send out all of these online lessons, but then being told that they are optional and the kids don't have to do them. We are not even allowed to offer extra credit. My high school students have NO incentive to actually do the work. The district says don't treat this as a vacation, but that's exactly what's happening.

Ima Spedtcher

Old 03-19-2020, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
They can learn to cook, sew, build stuff. I don't think it all needs to be structured computer learning.
Omg! I am amazed to realize how little real world skills my boys have- they are both in high school and hopefully will be ready to move out and be self sufficient adults very soon. I am going to use this time to make sure they learn how to cook, clean, fix/repair/maintain simple household and automotive items. It wasnít until being stuck in the house with them for two days that Iíve realized they really suck at those things. My sister is amazed her kids (younger than mine) canít crack an egg in a way you can cook with an egg or even stir ingredients in a bowl without making a mess. We both plan on making sure our kids spend some time reading and doing some math, but we are both planning on using the time to teach some vital life skills. I am not worried about my kids falling behind....we are all in the same boat and there is a lot they can learn that doesnít require their teachers.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-19-2020, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The other side of this though is that if we can show we're doing online learning, even if we all know it's not the same, we have justification for getting paid through all of this. We're still working. I'm not at all happy about online learning and think it's a giant waste of time for the population I work with, but I'm thankful to be given an opportunity to still work and earn a paycheck when so many other jobs have just stopped all together and have no chance to get paid.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

bedazzled1

I am with you....
Old 03-19-2020, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Well said Haley23!

bedazzled1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Old 03-21-2020, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I agree with both sides. Is it a massive waste of time and effort on our parts to give online proof that we still deserve our paychecks? Yes. Will most students do any of it? Nope. Will most parents make them? Nope.
BUT -
I do need my paycheck/insurance so I will jump through whatever hoops my district puts in front of me. I can assure them, this is no vacation. I'm at the beach but the beaches are closed and I'm not leaving the condo. Going back home tomorrow mainly out of boredom.
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Private schhols
Old 03-21-2020, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our parents pay a hefty tuition, so we need to make sure we do our best to support them in this home schooling that has been thrust upon them. I have K, and Iíve been sending home plans each day that mimic their school schedule as closely as possible. I include ad many video links as I can.

We all send a personal email to the kids each day. I end with an video email of me continuing to read from a chapter book we started. Itís important for them to feel connected to us and to give them more than a public school would- we even have recorded prayers to begin and end the day, and there is a link to mass on Sunday that we can all ďattendĒ together.

Thereís no place Iíd rather be during this crisis than part of my Catholic school community. Lots of work, but itís good to still feel needed and close to my students and families.

This too shall pass!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-21-2020, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Being a child during these uncertain times can be very tough,especially for those without much parental support. If I were working I'd do what some have said here and that is to connect with the children and help keep their lives as close to what it was before the crisis. Kids need calmness of adults and regularity in their lives. I wouldn't worry about the completion rate of the work. The children's emotional well being is very important to me. Munchkin,I love your plan!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 03-21-2020, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I also love your plan Munchkins! I bet your kids are not stressed out by this at all because they look forward to hearing from you each day. My nephew's elementary school is doing things much like you, but I hear some of our middle and high school teachers are stressing parents/students out to an extreme with online attendance, due dates, grades, etc.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote