Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

My dog thinks her stuffed animals are puppies

>

friendlypoofy

My dog thinks her stuffed animals are puppies
Old 07-15-2008, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

At least, I think so. It's very cute! She has this toy that is a stuffed tree trunk little thing. It came with 3 stuffed animal squirrels. Ever since we got it she carries them around and licks them and nibbles on their fur like she is cleaning them! When I get up in the morning I will often find them lined up - 3 in a row. Weird! Or she'll just carry them around and try to fit more than one in her mouth at a time. Or lay on the floor and put her paws around them. Its almost obsessive, but I guess she doesn't really do it all day long. The funny thing is she will still chase them when I throw them and be rough, but other times she is sooo gentle. She loves those things!

The rescue place I got her from said that she did have puppies (probably in the woods) at some point because of her nipples. She cried for the guinea pig when I used to bring it home. I just have to wonder if she really misses those puppies or something happened to them. Am I strange for wondering that?

Drooper

That Is So Sweet!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

She sounds like a very loving dog!! You are not strange for wondering that!! She probably does miss her babies, but you have provided her with stuffed babies to take care of!!

missbluejay

friendly....
Old 07-15-2008, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

TOO CUTE!!!! I hope she doesn't miss her puppies too much, or that something terrible happened to them! That's just too sad to think about! Maybe she just really liked being a mommy, and now that she has new stuffed squirrel babies, she's trying to be a mommy again!!! I think that is so precious!

I have two goldens, and one of them loves this green squeaky ball. She carries it around with her ALL the time. It's like her security blanket I think. She's so funny, if I'm downstairs, she rolls the ball down, then when I throw it back to her, she does it again. over and over and over. It's pretty precious. I hope nothing ever happens to that ball! She would cry! My other golden has to carry around her teatowel all the time!

change2R

Mine too!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My golden retreiver used to do the same thing but with a baby doll. She was NEVER without it. She used to be a breed dog before we got her. For some reason she couldn't have puppies anymore. The people we got her from said that they would have just kept her for a pet but she bothered the other dogs because she wanted to take care of their puppies. We had a terrible time when our cat had kittens because she and her babydoll would jump in the bed with the kittens the second the momma cat got up and we would have to force her to leave when the momma cat wanted back with her kittens. It was so cute!

Sadly, one day we came home and her baby doll was at the end of the driveway and she was nowhere in sight. We assumed that someone took her!!! I just hope that if they wanted her bad enough to steal her that they gave her a good home. It was a few years ago and I still think about her!

honeydew

precious
Old 07-15-2008, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Animals are so amazing!! I hope you take pictures of what you dog does so you can always enjoy it. I used to have a baby chick that I had to raise and it smelled terrible so I gave it a bath and used the blow dryer on warm and gentle to dry it. It LOVED it and would stand right there for me. Could you post a picture of your dog acting maternal?

Mrs. Apple

my dog
Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

has a favorite stuffed animal too. Actually it was my daughter's stuff animal first. My chihuahua decided to make it his. He thinks it is his girlfriend. IT must me a secret relationship because he only keeps her under the bed.

Zoso

Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Mrs Apple--my chihuahua has a girlfriend too!! He took over one of my stuffed Pooh Bear house shoes. (and he can certainly keep it now!! ) He carries "her" around the house with him and tries to pull her into his crate with him--but she's too big! Cracks us up!!

But I have heard of dogs taking on "adoptive babies" when they lose their puppies. Seems like it was on here a few years ago.

Zilly

Cats too!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had a cat once who did the same thing with a stuffed animal cat. The toy was about as big as my cat, yet she carried it around by the scruff of its neck just like she would have a real kitten. She loved that thing! It was so cute.

Mrs.Essie

cats do this, too
Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had a cat a few years ago that lost her babies. She went outside to give birth and we only saw the kittens a few times - still don't know what happened to them. After they went "missing," she frequently stole small stuffed animals and hid them, cleaned them, and was extremely protective of them. It's amazing to think that animals grieve and feel loss just like we do, but at the same time, it makes perfect sense.

anesthesia16

friendlypoofy...
Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm dying to see pics of your dog with her "babies"! So adorable! I hope you post some.

CKathyteach

My Golden does this
Old 07-15-2008, 09:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My golden, Mika, does the same thing as the OP. She has several stuffed golden retriever dogs that she carries around. She takes them for walks, gives them kisses and sleeps with them. She has never had puppies, but she has a thing for her "puppies" She is so sweet and loving with them.

Peps

Old 07-15-2008, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My pup has a baby. It is more of a toy to him --he plays fetch with it (a stuffed rabbit), rolls around on it and sleeps on it. I have heard of dogs (esp.) adopting subsitute babies. It is probably something that she is doing because of her maternal instincts. How cute!

Teach'n'Learn

Old 07-15-2008, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Too cute!

My dogs think their stuffies are food.

carrie3

Stuffed Animals
Old 07-16-2008, 02:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have a 10 year old golden retriever who has a stuffed dog that she will go find when she is ready to go to bed at night. She has had the toy since we brought her home. She puts in between her front paws and positions it just right and then begins to suck on it. What is that all about? She doesn't toss it around or try to pull it apart. It is really funny to watch. She will actually go around the house and look for it. It is quite amusing to see this large dog walking down the stairs with her baby and then settle herself on her bed. Would love to know why she does this?

Maisy

Old 07-16-2008, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Dogs are the best, aren't they? Unconditional love all the way around!

Carolyn

I don't think so
Old 07-16-2008, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I think dogs are smarter and remember more than we have given them credit for. All you have to do is watch Funniest Animals and People on TV to know that. On that show I've seen dogs open refrigerators to get food and seemingly use thought to plan other things like this. It is funny to watch, also. You must enjoy watching your dog. I can just imagine her doing this.

teamteacher

Oh, how sweet!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

It reminds me of the children's book (can't remember the name of it) in which the cat wanted kittens so bad, she carried a sock around with her all the time.

♥theColts

Sweet!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

That is the sweetest image. Thanks for sharing a "feel gooder!"

jbug

That's really sweet
Old 07-16-2008, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My dog (a year old), will carry her toys from room to room depending on which room I'm in. If I'm in the living room, she carts them all in there (she has 10 at the time). If I'm on the computer, they are all brought in the room with the computer. Right now, 6 of the 10 are in here. She's busy chewing on one right now. Before I get off, I'm sure the other 4 will be in here. They are fun to watch!

phantomteach

cute
Old 07-16-2008, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

that is so cute! You should post a picture!

mshunny

Old 07-16-2008, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My cat will sometimes carry a stuffed moose (almost as big a her) or a little gorilla around in her mouth. It is sooo cute.

hmccourtie

My Male Dog Does This...
Old 07-16-2008, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I have a 14 year old German Shepard who does the same thing with his "babies." He will line them up the same way, and bring every single one on multiple trips to another room when he moves. He licks them, cuddles with them, puts his paws around him. It is very endearing. Each of the toys I have personally given him during different times in his life. My mom told me that before I moved back in, he would actually be licking one and start to cry (she thought it was because he missed me).

friendlypoofy

Old 07-16-2008, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Wow, I did not expect this many responses about a dog who loves stuffed toys!! But its true, there are a lot of animal lovers on here.
My dog is so special to me. I got her when I lived alone, so she was my roommate, best friend and protector. She's so shy with other people, but she's great with me and that's what counts, right? She's very loving.

I'll see if I can find some pictures! Hang tight!