Help

Third Grade

Notebooks

>

stayw/smiles

Notebooks
Old 08-10-2011, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school provides spiral notebooks and black/white composition books. For some reason I hate the spiral notebooks. They get ripped up easily. I love using the composition books because the kids can't rip out individual pages, it's easy for me to collect them and take them home, etc. So, I tend to use it as a journal for reading responses, writing prompts, etc. All in one.

So, what do I use the spiral notebook for? Drafts for writing? Math? Poetry? What do you guys use notebooks for?

stayw/smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachFun

Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use the composition books for writing assignments and the spiral for a "free writing" journal.

I agree - I love the compo books, hate the spirals!
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote

lucybrown

Composition Notebooks
Old 08-10-2011, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We ask that the kids each have three composition notebooks - one as a science journal, one for writing, and one for word study. Some years we used the third one for poetry writing (throughout the year and huge unit in April).
lucybrown is offline   Reply With Quote

fionafiona

Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

we use a spiral notebooks for math, spellling/word work and what we call a "fun" notebook for free time drawing, etc
I wish our school provided comp books tho'. I had to buy them at Target and its the first time I've seen target limit an item to 25
fionafiona is offline   Reply With Quote

ahoykaty

comp vs. spiral
Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My school only asks for the 70 pg. spirals you mentioned. I plan to use it for Writers' Workshop, naturally, but it really would be nice if they required Comp. Books. The spirals tend to get mushed and pages tear out, etc.

But the price difference!? Call me a penny pincher, but it's a lot easier to buy 20 spirals at 20 cents ($4) each versus 20 spirals at a dollar each ($20). I guess you get what you pay for, eh?

ahoykaty is offline   Reply With Quote

mapaga

Composition Books
Old 08-11-2011, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just saw a preview of the Staple's ad for next week. The composition books are going to be 10 cents each! Teachers can buy 25. The only catch is that you have to spend $5 on other items.
mapaga is offline   Reply With Quote

mrteacher

Old 08-11-2011, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I guess I am in the minority. I hate composition notebooks. I like spiral notebooks because I can easily fold them open to whatever page I need to check, and they are easy to stack. With composition notebooks, you have to keep them completely open. The only thing I don't like about spiral notebooks is when students pull out the wire, but it's an easy fit with wire cutters. Oh, I also don't like spiral notebooks that have the "easy tear out" pages. Those do fall out.
mrteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

boystogo

Old 08-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have a 3 subject spiral that goes home each night. Section one is spelling homework. Section 2 is vocabulary homework and section 3 is for their reading response homework. We also have some black and white 'journals.' 1 (pink - they color across the bottom their notebook so they can quickly see) is Poetry, 2 (blue) math, 3 (red) Reading Response, 4 (orange) Word Work, 5 ( yellow) Science and Social Studies.
This year, my class also has writer's notebooks and notebooks for their Never Finished Learning challenge questions.
boystogo is offline   Reply With Quote

stayw/smiles

Never Finished Learning
Old 08-11-2011, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

boystogo...What is a "never finished learning challenge?" Sounds cool! I have some task cards (brain builders, mind builders) from Mailbox magazine cut out and I never know how to manage them. Is this the kind of thing you mean?

Also, does anyone ever have luck with the adhesive tabs to mark sections of a notebook? I wonder if these would work or would just fall out.
stayw/smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

pinkcaketoo

spirals...
Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our district requires that every student have a science notebook that they log data, a line of learning, etc. We also use a spiral notebook to keep their vocabulary/word study homework in so it doesn't get lost by the end of the week.

pinkcaketoo is offline   Reply With Quote
boystogo
Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 PM
This message has been deleted by boystogo. Reason: did not attach
boystogo
Old 08-11-2011, 06:44 PM
This message has been deleted by boystogo. Reason: dislike

boystogo

Old 08-11-2011, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm not sure who created the Never Finished Learning challenge, but if you google it you will find the topics and how it works.
boystogo is offline   Reply With Quote