Help

BusyBoard

Teaching Intonation-Read aloud?

>

LuvAGoodBook

Teaching Intonation-Read aloud?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a good read aloud that I can model reading with intonation? I am trying to think of an activity to use with my students and thought modeling would be a great way to start. I want a book that has ups and downs so I can show it all in one book.

Any suggestions?

LuvAGoodBook is offline   Reply With Quote

musictex

Old 09-20-2011, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Perhaps not what you are looking for, but I use Mortimer (Robert Munsch) as a vocal exploration book in my music classroom. I have the kids participate in the reading in three places: any time anyone says "Mortimer, be quiet;" for all the "thumps" up and down the stairs, and for Mortimer's song, which we actually sing but you could do in a singsongy style.

For the "Mortimer, be quiet" places, the book is explicit about the kinds of voices the various characters are using, and the children enjoy saying it in an angry voice, or in a deep, policeman-type voice, or with the voice of seventeen unhappy siblings. For the thumps up and down, we pitch our voices from low to high when they're going up the stairs, and from high to low when they're going down the stairs.
musictex is offline   Reply With Quote