Help

Third Grade

Teaching Empathy and Tolerance

>

stayw/smiles

Teaching Empathy and Tolerance
Old 12-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a classroom with some very DIFFERENT learners. I have some behavioral issues, psychological issues, and some special-education issues. Although most of the students are sweet, kind, and helpful, they are starting to notice these differences and roll their eyes, giggle, whisper, and other negative behaviors behind kids' backs.

I use Morning Meeting and Responsive Classroom, but I'm finding it hard to address this issue without being OBVIOUS that I'm referring to the students who are getting special help or who are on behavior plans, etc. I've thought about role playing, etc. but it just seems hard to discuss without being obvious.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any read alouds? Any ideas for how to start making this more a priority in my room? I feel helpless!

stayw/smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

anngirl

Old 12-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel like sometimes we just have to stop tiptoeing around the topic and actually talk about it. The kids obviously know who is different. Sometimes I think they need to be specifically told that someone has issues that they can not control.

One year I had a a new kid move in. He was the only white kid in class and he was extremely ADHD and awkward. The girls were giggling and gossiping about him and nobody got a long with him. One day I just had to send him down the hall and talk with the class.

Yes, our classmate acts differently. But we all have our differences and I expect you to treat him with kindness and respect. He is having a hard time adjusting and we all need to work together to make him feel welcome.

It really made a big difference.
anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote