Help

Third Grade

Units of Study for 3rd

>

Sash

Units of Study for 3rd
Old 07-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A week before school got out I found out that my principal was moving me from 2nd to 3rd grade. Seemingly, not a big jump, but I've never taught 3rd before.

Our entire school will be using Lucy Calkins Readers Workshop and I couldn't go to the summer workshop, but would love any links to the units of study to get me started.

We will also be using Lucy's Writers Workshop and I only have the K-2 books for the units of study. Can someone share with me the units for 3-5?

I'm only a LITTLE stressed because we had to pack up all our things because they are doing construction at our school and I probably won't be allowed in until 3 days prior to school commencing...

Also, any series of books that are must haves for my classroom library? I'll have some of the same students and would love to add to my collection.

Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions or tips you may have

Sash is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs_c

Old 07-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can't help with any of the Lucy Calkins stuff, but as far as books go, I'd just get as many chapter book series as possible. They really get into those in 3rd. Mine usually like A to Z Mysteries, Magic Treehouse, lots of the Beverly Cleary, Andrew Clements, Judy Bloom books.
mrs_c is offline   Reply With Quote

TwistingTeach

Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Along with the series that mrs_c mentioned, my third graders love The Boxcar Children series. Nancy Drew and Encyclopedia Brown are also good series to have.
TwistingTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

MsIssippi

Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

3rd graders love mysteries, in my experience anyway! In addition to PP, I'd add some Cam Jansen, Nate the Great, and maybe Bailey School Kids. Sorry, I wish I knew more about Lucy Calkins - I hear it's a great program!
MsIssippi is offline   Reply With Quote

Room4Rocks

I'm new to Lucy's Units of Study for Reading
Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our entire school does her Units of Study for Writing and we love it. I'm going to a conference in August about reading. So, all I have to offer right now is this:

http://firstclass.mdirss.org/~smaxwe...3_ReadWshp.pdf

PS My students did not like most of the series previously mentioned...my students loved the following series: Marvin Redpost, George Brown, Just Grace, Sophie, Goddess Girls, My Sister the Vampire, My Weird School, Humphrey, Herbie Jones, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, 39 Clues, The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, Series of Unfortunate Events, and the baseball card books by Dan Gutman.

The boys also liked sports books by Fred Bowen and Matt Christopher.

Good luck! Third grade is fun!!! Check out my third grade blog. google Grade Three is the Place for Me blogspot and you should find it. I'll be posting about what I learn at the Reading conference in August.

Room4Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sash

Great titles
Old 07-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for all the great titles!

The website you sent me with the units will definitely help! #Room 4Rocks: Is it possible to see an example of your daily schedule? We are required to do 2 1/2 hours of Language Arts each morning and Math for 1 hour. The LA includes reading workshop, writing workshop, guided reading, read alouds, and word work. Just curious how you have your day set up.

I'm going to go check out your blog and am looking forward to seeing what you'll learn at the conference

Thanks again!
Sash is offline   Reply With Quote