Help

Third Grade

The Daily Five

>

abcteacher123

The Daily Five
Old 07-15-2012, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone! This will be my first year teaching and I will be a third grade teacher! I am super excited but had some questions about The Daily Five. Do any of you have experience using it in your classroom and if so what do you think about it? Do you find that the students react positively to its non traditional basal approach? I am half way done reading the book and I am really excited about using it, just concerned with making sure I understand the format of the program. Any advice would be great! Thanks

abcteacher123 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachFun

Daily 5
Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Check out the Peony Room on PT. It's all about Daily 5.

I used D5 three years ago before our district adopted Treasures for Literacy. I've let it go, except for focusing on Read to Self the D5 way. This year I'm ready to go back to D5. It's a great way to teach structure to your students. Especially at this age, they won't have any idea that it's "non traditional." They'll just love it if you do!

I will start the first day of school by creating the Read to Self I chart and we will start with 3 minutes of building stamina. For the first week, I'll work on stamina twice per day. It's fun because the students always beg for more when you start with the three minutes!

The program says to wait until RtS is firm, then start another of the dailies. With our schedule, having writing first thing in the morning, I'm going to start with Work on Writing stamina building on Day 2. I think the kids will be able to handle both at once quite well.

I think you'll like the program a lot. Check out the Peony room and read what people have said there.
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote

Room4Rocks

I love it!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Since you are a first year teacher, you may want to find out from your grade level and principal how tied they are to the basal/reading series. My first few years, my grade level was very tied to basal, but I still managed to utilize D5. I would use the story as my mentor text and model a reading strategy with it. Sometimes I would have all the choices tied to that story: listen to it, read it with a partner, read it alone, do a written response to it, or do a vocabulary/phonics word work activity based on the story.

If you are not super tied to the basal is the ideal scenario. You will just need to gather a lot of books at different levels. My school library lets teachers check out an unlimited amount of books, so check with yours. Don't feel you have to go spend lots of $$$$.

The students absolutely LOVE it! The book does such a good job of showing how to model and train the students. Those lessons are key! Otherwise D5 would just be a noisy nightmare. The kids love it because it's active and reading is not just sitting and reading. D5 plays to their individual learning styles, academic needs, and needs for brain breaks (to get up and move to a different activity.) I let the students know I am trusting them doing these activities. A few times I took the choice component away from a few students. I chose for them. Wow! Their behavior quickly changed! Getting to choose for themselves is a powerful motivator.

Don't feel like you have to get in all the rounds. If you only get 2, that's fine! It all depends on your schedule. Make D5 work for you!

Make sure you read D5's sister book CAFE!! That explains what you are doing while the other kids are in D5.

Good luck and enjoy your first year!
Room4Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tubin' Mama

grades and Daily 5
Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am hoping to implement Daily 5 in my third grade classroom next year. My worry is, where do your reading grades come from?
Tubin' Mama is offline   Reply With Quote