Help

BusyBoard

Classroom Website

>

jde3399

Classroom Website
Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey All! I have been working on my classroom website this summer (one of many projects). I wanted some feedback on what you guys think. It is still a work in progress, so some pages are not up yet. I also wanted to know if there are some things that I have missed that I should add. Thanks for your input!!!

http://msemerysclass.weebly.com/index.html

jde3399 is offline   Reply With Quote

4ToY

wow
Old 07-18-2012, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

looks very engaging. Add "r" to your schedule
for library time...(dont forget your books). Great job otherwise! I love your theme!
4ToY is offline   Reply With Quote

jovic

Looks great!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it looks really good so far! I am thinking about starting one soon for my students. I recently started a blog, but that is for other teachers. I need something for students and parents too... I like the theme....the clipart is really cute and it is colorful and eye-catching!
jovic is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What a colorful website! Your students and parents will enjoy visiting. I have an under ocean theme in my room, and your website would go with it quite nicely! My site is also a weebly site, but it isn't nearly as colorful as yours. I'm too cheap to buy graphics.

Last edited by trexteach; 07-18-2012 at 06:30 PM..
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote
solothurn1932

solothurn1932

Love it!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Your site is colorful, inviting, and user-friendly. Look forward to seeing your classroom pictures soon. I'm sure you will have some Bebe stories to share with your new class. What a cutie! I'm a Longwood alum (89). Happy studying!

1956BD

Awesome Job
Old 07-18-2012, 11:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You have made a very creative website.

I would add a homework icon if needed. I would also add a wish list so parents may purchase items you would like for the class. I would also make a links pages with websites that will be helpful and fun for your students. A calendar is also nice that includes district, school and classroom events.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Room4Rocks

very cute!!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It's well organized. I like your layout. I love the crab icon for emailing you!!! Great job!
Room4Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

hapteacher

jde3300 message
Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Looks great. Question did you have a place for comments for those who visit??? Just look at all the positive reactions from PTs. Congratulations
hapteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

creativeminds

Question about Weebly
Old 07-19-2012, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love your site! Very colorful and welcoming. I went to the Weebly site, and had some questions.

* Did you pay a fee to up the level?

* How did you know how to approach making the site?

I signed in on the first level, but then just went blank because I was not sure what to do. I had a site before in another location, but it was too restrictive in what you could use as far as graphics. I appreciate your taking time to help with the questions. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has a site through Weebly.
creativeminds is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

creative minds
Old 07-19-2012, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I use the site. I upgraded to the PRO level, but I don't think that was the highest level. I think it's the step up from the general level. I am perfectly satisfied with the PRO level, but if you want more, you can upgrade at any time.

When you start your new site, these steps will get you started:
(Remember, you can edit or delete any page at any time, even after it's published for the public.)

-log on
-name your site
-click the Design tab at the top to choose a theme/background scene for your main page. This will automatically be the same for each page unless you tell it otherwise. (If I'm remembering correctly.)
-click on Elements tab to add text and pictures and such to each page. Just mess around with this until you get it how you like.
-click on Pages tab to add pages such as "Homework", "Daily Schedule", "About the Teacher", etc. You can add, and name, as many as you want.
I have PRO because I also wanted to be able to password protect any page I wanted. For instance, I have password protected any of my pages that would include pictures of my students. That way folks out in Internet Land don't have access to their pictures. The parents appreciate this.
-once you hit save on the Pages page, it will take you back to the Home page where you will see a list of the pages you've added so far. This will be close to the top of your Home page. I do believe you may have the option of making your "menu" tabs go vertically somewhere else on the page, but I'm not sure.

The Home page may not list all of your pages in the menu bar, but it will have something like "More" listed as a page. When you click on this tab, it becomes a drop down menu where parents can view the other pages you have.

There are many other things you can do, but what I've listed will get you up and running with your basic site Play around with it knowing that it's not a problem to change what you want at any time.

Whenever I'm updating my pages, I always hit the orange Publish tab in the upper right side of each page. That moves it from your "working area" to the actual site where others can visit. I just hit this on each page instead of when I'm finished with the whole updating because I want to make sure I don't forget. It's not necessary to do it for each page, though.

I hope this made sense, at least somewhat , and is helpful. I had to ask another PTer a couple of years ago for some help getting mine up and running. There are still some features I don't use, and don't quite know how to use, but I'm very happy with what I have now. If you are interested in uploading documents or directions or something for the students and parents, I really do think you need the upgraded level. Mine isn't near as fancy and cute as the OP's site , but it's professional-looking and soooo easy to update each week. Adding your own pictures and such makes it individual and fun.

If you want to check mine out, in it's current low-key "closed for the summer" format, PM me and I'll give you the password so you can check out how I've used pictures as slide shows or just posted the pictures by themselves.

trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

jde3399

creativeminds
Old 07-20-2012, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for checking it out!

I use the free weebly, I didn't upgrade to pro. I bought the thistle girl package and was able to use that to build my backgrounds by editing the html, or the css code. It took me a bit of playing around with all the codes listed on that page before I got the hang of changing the background and colors and the pictures had to be download as jpgs.

As for what goes on it, I looked at other classroom websites and pick and chose things off of their sites that I thought would be relative to me and my students. This is actually my second attempt at a website, i scratched my first one because it did not turn out like I wanted.

Trexteach has a good explanation of being able to change and add pages. Once you get the hang of it, it is very easy to use. Alot of the elements I used were done in columns to make them line up. Just make sure to save what you have, save=publish, so you don't lose what you have worked with.
jde3399 is offline   Reply With Quote

creativeminds

Super Thanks!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thank you for all of your advice. I have also purchased membership at thistle girl. I know nothing about html or css codes, but am willing to try. I appreciate your advice!!

creativeminds

Old 07-21-2012, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you!!!! This is a lot of good info. I appreciate your help so much. Now all I have to do is get started!