Help

BusyBoard

Carpet questions

>

Daphne333

Carpet questions
Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am moving to a new school and new to 4th. I am getting a room that does not have a carpet. I have taught 3rd and brought my kiddos to the carpet all the time for mini lessons during math and reading. (Daily 5) Is it considered that using the carpet is only for lower grades? Do any upper grade teachers use a carpet? I don't want to go buy one if its going to be a waste of money. Also, where can I find a cheap one? Would it be too childish if I bought those foam squares that connect? I really don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on a carpet. I was thinking about doing donors choose, but school starts in 3 weeks and I doubt it would get funded in that amount of time.

Last edited by Daphne333; 07-19-2012 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: corrected spelling
Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

carpet
Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always have a carpet for 4th. We gather for minlessons, read alouds, morning meeting all at the carpet. I'm actually switching to carpet squares because we have such large classes now and they can't all fit on the carpet. But if it fits your teaching style then get one!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

DrivingPigeon

Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know how well they hold up, but Walmart sometimes has large rugs on sale for pretty cheap. A co-worker purchased one at Home Depot last year for $40. One thing I would consider is not worrying about purchasing a rug that all of the kids can fit on. I purchased one last year, and I think the measurements are 5X8. My entire class cannot fit on the rug, so some sit around it-no big deal. It still defines the space as our gathering place (and it was cheaper than buying a really large rug!).
DrivingPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

You can usually go to a carpet store
Old 07-19-2012, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

and get the carpet squares for about 1.00 each if you tell them you want them for school (at least in our area) so that shouldn't be too expensive and it is a little more flexible than the regular carpet.
giver1940 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gr8Profession

Another idea...
Old 07-19-2012, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I bought a carpet "remnant" and the carpet store bound the edges for me. It wasn't very expensive. I think your students aren't too old for carpet!

Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote

Room4Rocks

I use rugs
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My class size has increased over the years, so now I have to use 4 rugs from Ikea to make the area large enough. The total was $120, which is less than half the price of those huge classroom rugs you find through teacher stores. The $120 was worth every penny!!! The rug is critical to my reading, writing, and math workshops! My rug space is my most important area. The 4th grade teachers at my school have a rug space.

If you are going to do the foam, I think home depot has some for the men as they work in the garage in gray that won't look so childish.

Good luck at your new school!
Room4Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

FLNUT

LOVE the CARPET!!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

when i switched to fifth my school had the attitude that 5th graders need to be in desks but they were so wrong. My kids love it and it really is a treat.
Just be sure if you purchase one that it is allowed because of the fire inspector. Our school only allowed the ones issued from our county supply store.
Carpet squares work and definitely throw out being a teacher for any deal. I found the shag ones hold up best.
Good luck!
FLNUT is offline   Reply With Quote

teachermom5

Check local charities
Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I moved to 4th, and at my school also no one had the rugs, but I wanted to try daily 5 this year. I started with the foam squares, but rather than focusing on the lesson, my kids were pulling the pieces apart. It was not great. I got 2 of the walmart rugs and taped them together on the bottom. That was a better solution. I ended up writing a proposal about the Daily 5 to a local charity organization and got a rug purchased for my classroom around March. Good luck, but I would avoid the squares if you have some ADD kids!
teachermom5 is offline   Reply With Quote

viaggoesl

Old 07-20-2012, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You can get great carpet remnants at carpet stores really cheap. I picked up a carpet for $300, they cut two carpets from it, one for the dining room and one for the bedroom. They put a trim on the cut edges to finish off....and it was berber.
viaggoesl is offline   Reply With Quote