Help

Daily 5

Daily 5 and Writing Workshop

>

yellowdaisies

Daily 5 and Writing Workshop
Old 06-22-2015, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I loved Daily 5 when I taught 1st and used it successfully. Last year was my first year in 5th. I used reading and writing workshop but missed the Daily 5 structure. I would like to do Daily 5 and CAFE next year, upgraded for my big kids, of course.

Here are the options I'm thinking of:
1. Stick to Daily 5 format and have students choose when they do work on writing, not necessarily right after the writing lesson. Some free writing, some a continual piece that we are working on. I am planning to have a checklist where students have a certain number of each rotation required each week, so they wouldn't be able to just do it once a week or something.
2. Use the writing workshop format and ALL students must do work on writing after the writing mini lesson.
3. Maybe a combination of both, depending on what we're working on? Daily 5 does give a lot of freedom.

What do you think? I'm especially curious about what other upper elementary teachers do. I would really love to see schedules if possible. I have 90 minutes for all of ELA 3 days a week (split into 60 and 30), and 120 uninterrupted minutes 2 days a week.

I'm finding it's a lot trickier to figure out a schedule in 5th because I have much less time for ELA than I did in 1st, and I'm trying to find time for longer rotations (hoping for 30 min).

Thank you for your help!

yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 06-26-2015, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I "roughly" used Daily 5 in 5th. At my first school I just did Read to Self, Read with Someone and Work on Writing (usually Write About Reading), or Daily 3. This past year I was required to meet with 5 guided reading groups a day (per class). So I did 20 minute rotations of Read to Self, Work on Writing, Computer (Listen to Reading or istation), Word Work and Meet with Teacher.

Maybe you could do something D5ish during the first 60 minutes and a Writing Workshop during the other 30. Not sure how your time is on 120 minute days, maybe you could use the other 30 minutes to focus on vocabulary or just another D5 rotation.
bison06 is online now   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Thanks, bison!
Old 06-26-2015, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Great ideas, thanks!

As it turns out, I may have 90 minutes those 120 minute days due to some scheduling things...ah, it was a nice thought, anyway!

You met with 5 guided reading groups PER DAY? Wow, I'm trying to wrap my mind around that! I didn't even meet with that many in first grade, and I had much more time for ELA! Was that 100 minutes? (I was thinking 20x5). Also, when did you teach writing?

Last question - what do you do for word work in 5th? I'm thinking of using Words their Way, but I'm not totally committed to that yet.
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 06-26-2015, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It was crazy! 100 minutes of "stations" it was way too long (plus pull-out and push-in interventions) but my school is very micromanaged. I'm actually moving to 1st next year.

I taught 30-40 minute writing lessons 2x a week, and SS the other days. It wasn't the best, but I took over the class in October and it was VERY different from the school I first taught at for 4 years (same grade & subject) so I was just trying to survive all year.

I would have liked to done WTW but I already felt so overwhelmed I didn't want to add to it. I'm actually thinking about doing WTW in 1st this year. I didn't like how I did Word Work (it changed a lot) but I had found seething that I was going to use but didn't have time to implement/keep up with. I'll look for it and share or link to it if I can find it. My friend did WTW and had students get on Spelling City and I think they had activities from there (she had paid membership).

bison06

word work
Old 06-26-2015, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is the blog post that inspired my "plan" for word work. I just wasn't able to stick to it, I don't remember why.
http://juiceboxesandcrayolas.blogspo...word-work.html

She has a free TPT Word Work pack.