Daily 5 with limited choice?

>

Allie1996

Allie1996

Daily 5 with limited choice?
Old 07-19-2016, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!
I'm a little worried about having my students have total choice over which rotations they go to each day. I want to give them some choice, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. What do you all think about making them do either read to someone or read to self every day? And if they do read to self Monday, then they have to do read to someone on Tuesday, just to make sure they are alternating between the two. The other 2 choices, I'll leave up to them. Also, what do you all use to track which rotations each student chooses each day?

Thanks everyone!

Cat woman

Old 07-19-2016, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I made it a requirement to do read to self and writing everyday. I had a weekly sheet made for them that had the four rounds indicated on it and I would put in RG in the slots when I wanted to meet with them for a Guided reading group--- which wasn't every day. From there they needed to be sure to plan a read to self and writing time. On my check in sheet I could easily see if they were meeting the requirements.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

I have always given limited choices
Old 07-20-2016, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They must do Read to Self and Work on Writing every day. The third round was their choice, but they must have already done each of the other choices before repeating a new choice. So say on Monday they picked Read to Self, work on writing and then Listen to reading, on Tuesday, they could pick Work on Writing, Read to self and Word work etc. Students get choice in the order they do their Daily 5.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

KC8RZI

Old 11-16-2016, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We only, actually have a daily 3 currently. And based on skill and spelling groups, I grouped them and have a chart that says who goes where and for which rotation. I've tried it before with giving them choice but making read to self mandatory and it ends up that all of them want to do word work at the same time and I've run out of word work tubs and it's a mess. So, I have control over that. I plan to add a fourth center after Thanksgiving.
KC8RZI is offline   Reply With Quote