Help

The VENT

Half of my class is ...

>

OrganizedPup

Half of my class is ...
Old 01-05-2017, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

undiagnosed ADD/ADHD kids and I'm so frustrated.

OrganizedPup is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Ugh
Old 01-05-2017, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know that feeling! That sounds like my last period class that makes me nuts. It is soo frustrating! No matter how hard I try - just don't listen. I even resorted to using my "mommy" voice" today with my students - and these are 7th graders! Is it June yet?
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

AprilDelight

I'm concerned about this...
Old 01-06-2017, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and I think that the diagnosis is OVER prescribed! Kids need to be kids! And especially, they need to get OUT and PLAY and EXERCISE and eat right and have parents that care...who read to them, feed them well...and on and on and on...

I am at (somewhat) the opposite of your spectrum. I think TOO many kids are being "diagnosed" with these "conditions" when they should NOT be! Yes, yes, I know a FEW do, but good gosh, we have a whole generation of children growing up on DRUGS, many of said drugs have not had a full diagnostic analysis/studies (long term) done to show effects. It's become an 'easy diagnosis/easy fix' world, and I hate it!

Also, once that student is identified (often, too early, because many can and do catch up,) that SPED label STICKS with them, year after year.

I'm frustrated too!
AprilDelight is offline   Reply With Quote

ritabook2

Add/adhd
Old 01-06-2017, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think we are just seeing more and more kids who don't have the ability to sit, or be still, or wait, or not talk for any period of time. I don't know that they are all ADD/ADHD, but those behaviors have definitely increased in the time since I started teaching almost 2 decades ago. My personal opinion is that kids are being raised with too much technology, so they are used to instant gratification and instant entertainment. Parents in general are not teaching children to sit and wait. Just think about the kids you see in restaurants. They are sitting playing on a phone or tablet, or running around doing whatever they want. I think this is the reason so many kids today are so restless in class. They are used to being constantly entertained. I also agree that many are not getting outside and playing or doing anything physical. Just my 2 cents.

I also feel like it's a three ring circus and I am the ring master. I feel like we have to do brain breaks often, repeat directions often, and remind constantly. It's exhausting...
ritabook2 is offline   Reply With Quote

1elateacher

I agree ritabook2
Old 01-06-2017, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think kids are so used to being entertained that they don't know know how to listen and pay attention.

1elateacher is offline   Reply With Quote