Help

The VENT

Know It Alls

>

SunShining

Know It Alls
Old 12-09-2017, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel guilty venting because I try to be positive and kind towards everyone. But this teacher is driving me up the wall.

I'm a second year teacher but worked in my school as a reading assistant for a few years after college until a 1st grade position came up. First of all, I by no means claim to know everything or believe that my way is the best way. I make mistakes (lots!) but really just want to do what is best for my students. When I worked in reading intervention, we used some "old school" methods that alot of people frown upon but our kids were never bored and they made amazing progress is foundational skills. That teacher left, and this year we have a new reading teacher who is awesome and I love her. She has been a classroom teacher for quite a while and is new to teaching intervention. She is doing things different than before, which doesn't bother me at all because it's her style. We have had lots of talks about my students that go to her and their progress, and it's obvious she wants to do what is best for them. She is very open to talking about different teaching strategies and techniques.

Now the one who drives me insane. She is a second year teacher and is very young (got hired right out of college) and was hired for elementary ell even though her degree was in 6-12 ell because we have a shortage. The other 1st teacher and I have the ell students who are most concerning, and with the time she had available we didn't feel we could divide her time evenly very well. We agreed if she pulled the students daily instead, she could work with them as a small group giving them what they need. We suggested this to the ell teacher and she said push in is best practice but we will just have to make it work. We said we were flexible and asked what she had in mind but she just said, "I'll just pull them and make it work." She has them do a program on ipads. I have asked about the program but she just says, "Well it isn't exactly best practice but I'm making the best of it."

Recently we were at a staff lunch of a professional development day. She started telling the new reading teacher how happy she was with her work because what happened before was ineffective and did nothing for the students. I asked her specifically what she felt was ineffective before but she justsaid, "Yeah I know, you used to work there" and went back to addressing the reading teacher. She also started talking to the reading teacher about a particular student and ignored me anytime I tried to join in. Sure, you could argue that I should butt out, but it is my student who she sees for 15 minutes a day, the reading teacher sees for 30, and I see for several hours. I don't care about being "right" or whether my methods are "outdated" or "trendy" or what. All I care about is that we all give this student what she needs to be successful.

She is always using the words "best practice" and "least restrictive envrionment." Basically, she believes no student should ever be taken out of the gen ed classroom for any reason as the classroom is the least restrictive environment. I don't believe you can make a blanket statement for every situation. This student is in my room during core instruction. She is pulled during part of her free choice time and during part of phonics centers. I am ok with her missing some of phonics centers because she is getting small group time. It could work to have a teacher in to do a group during phonics, but we have students from 2 other classes they see so they could only push in once or twice per week, so I feel pulling them gives them more time. She would be too distracted during free choice time to focus so I don't feel that would work either.

Ugh rant over. I feel like I'm not getting something. Like I'm not doing enough for my students or have a limited belief about what is best for them. It just drives me up the wall how she acts but she is always defensive and acts like she knows everything because her college textbooks said so. Gosh I feel like a B.

SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote

Newto3s

Newto3s

Old 12-09-2017, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

She reminds me of a Master Teacher I used to have. She was from another state and the needs of one or two children trumped the WHOLE class. I'm not talking differentiation. I'm talking about a violent child terrorizing the class (and hurting an elderly aide) being justified. I was very pleased when her little darling literally tried to rip her face off. I think sometimes these support teachers often forget, we are not nannies. We have other students who deserve a chance to learn. This was a big part of why I left public schools.

Ucan

Awful
Old 12-09-2017, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would feel exactly the way you do in your situation. I'm surprised that a second-year teacher can become so unprofessional in such a short period of time! It's obvious from her habit of throwing around the same hackneyed phrases and avoidance behavior that she doesn't have a clue what to do with your students. I would bet "she making the best of it" by just having them play games on the iPads which IMO is such a waste of time. Once again, this is what happens when there is no administrative oversight.

It's been my experience that no amount of collaborative meetings or helpful suggestions will result in this person doing anything differently behind closed doors. If she originally said that "push in is best practice" why not insist that she work in your classroom at a back table? At least that way, you can monitor what she is doing with your student.
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-09-2017, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

She sees your kids for 15 minutes a day? I wouldn't spend two seconds thinking about it!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 12-09-2017, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Give her time to grow into her job.
A second year teacher is still learning and figuring out what works.

I am old and retired ().
I knew so much more when I retired, with my new fangled ideas and old tried and true methods, than I did when I was a beginning teacher.

Problem is there is so much beginning teachers don't know, they really don't understand how much they don't know.
Good thing is, over time they figure it out and become much less know-it-all in their dealings with colleagues.

In the meantime, your student is going to be fine.
15 minutes a day is not making a negative impact on your student.

Peaches Pears is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 12-09-2017, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I tend to get frustrated with people like that. THey get under my skin too much. I think Zia's advice is good though.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

Old 12-09-2017, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would ask to see what they are doing on the iPad. (As a chance to further your knowledge of her best practices of course.🤪
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Ugh
Old 12-10-2017, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

She sounds like a pill. I would take a break from her and not listen to all her nonsense about best practices and least restrictive environments. Don't be concerned with what she's teaching. Focus on what you're doing in your classroom.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

Ell
Old 12-10-2017, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm an ELL teacher in a very diverse district (many, many languages). We do combinations of push in, pull out, and I've yet to find a "best practice" that is consistently and truly a "best practice" for any one student. We have newcomers who need help, support, and LANGUAGE development - conversation - academic language building. Those students' needs are often best served in small groups. It's hard, if not impossible to teach an Arabic speaker our alphabet in 5th grade in a push in setting. However, if the student is at a high level of language acquisition, they can benefit greatly from in-class support.

It all depends.....and that ELL teacher who is getting under your skin should know that. But I so agree with many others, 15 minutes per day???!!! What's that all about? Not enough time to be effective.
allier is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Old School interventions
Old 12-10-2017, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Im interested in your old school interventions that worked. I have taught over 20 years. This current class is unlike any Ive ever seen. We are half way through the year and 8 of them are making no progress in reading. I could just cry. They are stuck at a kindergarten level in second grade. Ive tried everything I can think of..... Will you please share what worked for you?

Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

Idealism
Old 12-10-2017, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I second Peaches Pears answer! New teachers just coming out of school are bombarded with making sure that everything they do is best practice. With time and experience she will realize that flexibility is key to meeting the needs of all kids within your building.

The conversation you described sounds like she was throwing out some passive aggression your way. She may be someone who feels uncomfortable with confronting her problems or grievances head on and something is annoying her so shes going about letting you know in the least effective way possible

Making sure kids are in the least restrictive environment is the law, she may feel that she should be pushing in and feeling like shes being forced to do something she perceives as unethical. Again, as time goes by she will realize that sometimes pull out is the most effective way to deliver instruction when the rest of the class is doing something else.
TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 12-10-2017, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Sounds to me like she actually has very low self confidence if she thinks being in whole group setting or doing a program on an ipad are preferable to quality small group instruction with her.
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Best practice?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Focus on just how lucky you are that she isn't pushing in. Just think how unbearable she would be IN your classroom! Trust me on this, time is your best friend! Just keep smiling and continue to do what you KNOW are real best practices.
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

I second Loveslabs
Old 12-11-2017, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I, too, am interested in what interventions you were using. Please share! Thank you!
Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote