Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Christmas tree stories?

>

amiga13

Christmas tree stories?
Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 AM

Do you have a favorite Christmas tree story?

In March, I sold the family house of 27 years. It had high ceilings and was a great home to many big trees over the years. The young couple who bought the house had a few questions for me, but their first and foremost was:
“Where did you put your Christmas tree?”

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-04-2018, 07:03 AM

Don’t you love me for replying to my own post again?

My first year of college, I missed the tree smell. Boyfriend (later DH) drove me to a tree lot on his motorcycle. We somehow got 2 people and a 2’ Tree safely home on that little Honda 175. I wish I had a picture of us.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

trees
Old 12-04-2018, 07:38 AM

I don't have a memorable story, but when I go into homes I find myself looking for the best place for the Christmas tree. Same when we were house hunting after deciding to sell in 2017.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Christmas Tree
Old 12-04-2018, 07:39 AM

My husband grew up in southern AZ where it was impossible to even go out and cut down your own tree and cost prohibitive to buy one. After moving to the northern Rockies and getting married, a real tree was pretty much the only holiday requirement he had.

We would make a day of it and go up into the mountains to chop down our tree, dragging dogs and kids along.

While I was still working, I made a point of taking down the tree and other decorations before going back to school in the new year. This particular year was no different. I had taken all the lights and ornaments off the tree, pulled the tree out the nearest door onto the deck, and put the tree stand away.

As I was packing up the rest of the holiday decor around the house, I noticed our old American Brittany, Hawken, seemed a bit restless. I blamed it on the busy-ness of packing things up.

That evening, I noticed a bare spot in the living room carpet - exactly where the tree had been. He had actually pawed the carpet down to the canvas and how we hadn't noticed that earlier, I'll never know. The only hypothesis we had was that he was looking for "his" tree.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Christmas tree
Old 12-04-2018, 07:42 AM

When DH and I were first married and poor college students, we didn't even have money for a Charley Brown tree. Across our apartment building was a field with some dead trees and tumbleweeds. I took one of the dead tree branches and decorated it with dime store ornaments. We've come pretty much full circle, because now we have a fake bare birch tree with tiny lights.

cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 12-04-2018, 08:11 AM

The first year I was married and long ago, my husband wanted "twinkling colored lights" which he claimed to be able to see in the windows of beautiful homes as he drove by on the way to our tiny apartment.

I looked everywhere but couldn't find anything that seemed to twinkle! At last I found a set with a box that claimed they twinkled. Oh my goodness! When I got home and plugged them in, they were garish shades of neon color and flashed, flashed, flashed, just like a sign advertising Joe's Bar and Grill! I was so sad. We had zero money and I'd wasted it. He thought they were horrible, too, but we laughed and put them on the tree. We couldn't afford to replace them until after he finished graduate school. We did use them on the solid setting and only let them twinkle/FLASH when we wanted a laugh and/or were entertaining friends.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Vet3Teacher

Old 12-04-2018, 08:28 AM

When my son was turning 2, we had a birthday party for him. His birthday is Dec. 18. I had been asking my (then) husband to fix the tree as it was unleveled. He never did. During the party, the tree started leaning...then it fell over!! I was embarrassed! I just fixed it and gave him a nasty look!!

lol! It's funny now, but it wasn't then.
Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 12-04-2018, 08:47 AM

This is a story about something that happened when I was a child (about 45 years ago), so I may have exaggerated it in my mind. When I was about 8 my family went to have dinner at a friend of my mother. She had this big creepy house in the city. She asked if we wanted to see her parakeet, and took my sister and I upstairs to a spooky bedroom where the parakeet was in a cage DEAD. Yikes! Then the adults wanted to talk and there was nothing for my sister and I to do because they had NO TV! What?? Finally we all sat down to dinner when suddenly praying mantises started springing from the tree. It seemed like hundreds. I think I'll call my mom to see how much of this I've enhanced in my mind.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

trees
Old 12-04-2018, 09:44 AM

We had new stylized modern draperies at the picture windows that had some metallic copper highlights. My dad decided he wanted our tree to be copper colored. He took the tree into his workshop and began to spray. Sadly he realized it was going to take MANY Many cans. It was unusual and stood out from the neighbors new aluminium trees.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 12-04-2018, 10:34 AM

Findng the pickle. Don't do this without reminding everyone of the specific rules! One year the tree nearly got toppled with the fierce competition!

aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Christmas of 1987
Old 12-04-2018, 01:07 PM

We lived in a two bedroom condo at the time while my husband was completing his residency internship. So the tree was only a couple of feet tall. We needed to stay small. I put a long table cloth over a small table and the tree on top. It was not the tree of my dreams. But this Christmas was. The doctors had told me I would have difficulty conceiving a child and I was pregnant with my second child and in my eighth month. He was already a keeper.

He was due about the second week of January but since my first son was born early I thought this one might follow the tradition. So I bought him a few presents just incase. Silly in a way but I could not help my self. I was so thrilled about this second blessing of a child. I wrapped them and then hid them so my 22 month old could not find them and open them for his brother ahead of time.

So following tradition I went into labor on December 21st. We were in and out of the hospital in less than 24 hours. I brought my son home in a Santa suit. I was so busy taking care of this new one plus big brother I did not give a thought to getting the hidden presents out for our new arrival until Christmas morning.

Then I got pregnancy or new mom brain fog and could not remember where I hid my baby's presents. We searched and searched but could not find them. I was so upset that all my hormones tried to escape right then and there out of my tear ducts.

A couple of days later I had both boys sleeping and started taking the tree down. As I took the tablecloth off of the tree table I remembered! I had placed the little packages under the table and table cloth. I felt so stupid but then laughed at myself.

After nap time we had another Christmas. My oldest son was more than happy to open his new little brother's packages. His baby brother did not seem that interested but I felt like the luckiest mother on earth. I had located the missing gifts! And even more importantly, I had two health sons despite what my doctors had told me.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

rana712

Old 12-04-2018, 02:21 PM

My sister and i were 6 and 7. We were at home with a babysitter. My sister went to get something from under the tree and it toppled over. Balls were breaking, sister was shrieking.... When my sister got out from under the tree, all we could think about was saving Mom's Christmas ball from her childhood. The babysitter kept pointing to the different balls that were hanging precariously. Finally, my sister yelled out "no... the ugly one". The sitter immediately honed in on the correct ball and rescued it.

We were afraid that our mom and dad would be really upset, but were pleasantly surprised that they laughed. We were moving to South America and they said that this would give them a chance to buy different ornaments for our tree.
rana712 is online now   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 12-04-2018, 02:32 PM

Years ago when DH and I were young parents we bought a pretty real tree. Even though it looked good on the lot, didn't drop needles when we bounced it on the parking lot, and the guy cut a bit off the bottom before we put it on the car, a few days after we got home it really started to drop needles and DROOP. This thing looked like a half-folded umbrella. At our Sunday School class (young couples and new families), the speaker the Sunday right before Christmas was going over symbols that we could use to explain Christmas to our small children. I don't remember all she said but she pointed out that a Christmas tree is an excellent symbol. Evergreen for eternal life and she said something about the branches reaching to heaven like we should be focused on heaven. DH and I were giggling in the back because our tree was the symbol of death with branches reaching somewhere else!
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Thank you Amiga13
Old 12-04-2018, 03:16 PM

I am so glad you started this thread. These are great stories to read for Christmas.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 12-04-2018, 07:18 PM

My grandmother always made a mix of liquid dish soap and powder laundry soap (I think that is what it was anyway...) that she would whip into the consistency of whipping cream. She then used it to coat her Christmas tree limbs, It would dry quickly into the popular flocked look of today. She was quite the trend setter for a little old country woman.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 12-04-2018, 07:18 PM

My husband traveled a lot when our kids were young . We always went up in the Santa Cruz hills to cut down our tree but one year dh was not home to help cut the tree and tie it to the top of the car. I reluctantly went to the grocery store front lot with the kids and picked a tree thinking they would be disappointed in losing out on a trip up the hill. The kids were not in the least upset. We barely tied the pretty tree to the top of the car and made it home in a few short miles. A few minutes later that fresh tree smell was in the house and the kids got busy decorating .

Last edited by anna; 12-04-2018 at 08:33 PM..
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-04-2018, 07:29 PM

Growing up we always had a real tree. My grandpa was friends with someone who got them from his farm and he would bring us one each year.

One year when I maybe 14, we had just recently gotten a new kitten who of course was very excited about the tree! He would climb up it and sit in the branches. My mom basically let him because he was tiny and only weighed a couple of pounds, so no big deal, right? Until the entire thing came crashing down, sending sap, water, and needles all over the place. Mom was furious. Dad didn't want to put it back up.

That was the end of the real Christmas trees. Having grown up with only real ones, I was upset the next year when my parents bought the fake one! And the poor cat, who is still alive, has to either be watched by someone or be closed in a room when no one is available for the entire month of December . When he was still a baby, my mom would bring him out in the living room on a leash at night . He's not that enthusiastic anymore, but apparently this year was eating the ornaments and throwing them up, so he's back to be babysat or put in a room.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote