Help

Teachers' Lounge

Childrenís bday party

>

Stel788

Childrenís bday party
Old 12-08-2018, 03:15 PM

We invited kids to a bday party.

I am paying for the kids to do the activity. Do you think the parents will expect to also do the activity?

My problem is some of these people are our friends (so invited the whole family) and some are friends of my child from school.

Not sure how to handle this.

Stel788 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 12-08-2018, 03:25 PM

That's the kind of thing I think should be specified in the invitation. IME, some parents will assume they are also covered (since they were invited), some will assume only kids are covered, and most will not be sure and will find it awkward to try to figure out (assuming it's an activity that adults also enjoy).

If you haven't yet sent the invite, I'd specify that you're inviting all the children (will you pay for siblings as well?) to enjoy X activity (or Child's name's ticket to do X will be covered by you). Then have some comment suggesting that parents can spend the time bonding (or whatever) or if maybe include pricing if parents are interested in participating.

I've seen stuff like this worded well, and it's NOT the way I explained it above!

If you've already invited, I'd maybe send out an email reminder of the fun day coming up and include something there. Without specifying, you are set up for an awkward time and you may end up paying a lot more than you intended for this party.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stel788

Already sent
Old 12-08-2018, 03:27 PM

And each invite had the childís name on it ONLY.

Now, my friends, I invited the whole family.

I think it will be awkward but too late now lol. We can only accommodate so many ppl and I would hope people realize that.

amiga13

Old 12-08-2018, 03:30 PM

If you invited my whole family, I would expect that we would all participate. If you don’t want us to participate, why invite us?

I was always happy to drop my child off at a party and have a little free time (or time with the uninvited sibling). If that’s what you want, just say so. But have the courtesy to let me know ahead so I can make plans.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 12-08-2018, 04:00 PM

"Oh, Kathy, so glad you can make it! Hudson is so happy that his buddy Mason will be there. The trampoline center we're meeting at has offered us a special rate of $9 for adults if you wish to join in."

Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-08-2018, 04:33 PM

Sorry, I responded before I saw youíd already sent the invitations. I know itís a hassle, but I think you need to clarify before the event. Itís hard to get sibs there and then have to tell them no because you werenít planning to spend. Iíd do what DrGK suggested and send out a follow up explaining that youíre paying for the birthday guests and others are welcome to participate at their own expense. Sorry, itís always a tough one. Good luck.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stel788

People
Old 12-08-2018, 06:51 PM

We invited - whole family can do it if they want.

Kids, Iím expecting to just participate for those that I put childís name on only.