Help

BusyBoard

CO schools cancelled until April 17th

>

Haley23

CO schools cancelled until April 17th
Old 03-18-2020, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The governor just put out a statewide order. He's also saying online learning needs to happen (right now, most districts weren't providing it because the closures were supposed to be only 1-2 weeks). I am dreading it. I teach K-2 and absolutely everything I do is direct instruction. I can't just put out assignments- my kids can't read! Parents in our community aren't going to have the ability to help. I can't picture how this is going to do anything but widen "the gap." And we'll be blamed for how far behind they are next year.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Don’t panic!
Old 03-18-2020, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are SO many websites and subscriptions being offered for free because of the closures. I have K, and can share some ideas with you if you’d like. PM me if you want to give me an email address that I can attach my plans and some online resources. For example, scholastic has free online lessons, epic books is offering free access during the school day, RazKids is free for now, xtramath.org is free, and lots of others.

There are lots of resources listed on Facebook and lots of sharing is being done here- that’s how I found out about Raz-Kids.

We’re in this together, we got this.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 03-18-2020, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry Haley~I was hoping it wouldn't come to this! I WANT to be back in school teaching.

I am in such a different socio-economic district/area than you are. My job is going to be much easier than yours. ALL of my students have devices and internet and parents who will help them. I imagine few/none of yours do.

This is so very difficult for students such as yours. I am so sorry.

I AM glad we have to provide learning opportunities, though. Yes, the gap is going to widen, but it's out of our control.

I also do not think you'll be blamed next year. I truly don't. EVERYONE is in the exact same boat! They all are aware of, and are living this new reality.

I was sorry to hear the news tonight, but am thankful he didn't close until the end of the year like KS did. That was my big worry. I'm sure that will probably come, but...for now...

If there is ANYthing I can do to assist, don't hesitate to ask!
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-18-2020, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you both for the offer of help. Right now I have no idea what our expectations are- nothing has been communicated with us other than the governor's notice. Next week is our regular spring break so I suspect it will be awhile before we hear any specifics. Once I get a handle on what I need to do I will reach out.

pdxteacher

Old 03-18-2020, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow - I'm really surprised that your state is mandating online instruction. Right now Oregon is out until April. 28th, and the department of ed has put out cautions to districts about rushing to offer online education. Basically, they're saying to offer "resources" - but for a district to truly offer education online they would have to provide for all of the federal requirements that go along with it (sped accommodations/supports, ESL, tag, etc). We still haven't received word about what to do about IEPs/evaluations/initials yet, and that's really frustrating.

I teach a self-contained life skills class - there's no way I can do online teaching. I can't even teach all of my students every day without three other people! It's just nuts. I can only imagine/hope that at some point the federal department of ed will put out some national guidelines for states to use in the decision-making process.

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-18-2020, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
We still haven't received word about what to do about IEPs/evaluations/initials yet, and that's really frustrating.
We were told IDEA is still federally mandated and that IEP deadlines still apply. We've been holding IEP meetings via google hangouts this week. I actually haven't minded because it's given me something to do and I get to talk to my teammates. However, we will quickly run into situations where we were in the middle of evaluating a kid for a tri/initial and the deadline will come up without us being able to finish the testing.

We were SLAMMED with evals before all of this happened- we've done a ton already and I still have 11 left for the year that are in various stages of testing. Some of them I'm done, but other providers aren't. We had two referral meetings coming up- thank god those people didn't already sign consent!

I've reached out to my director about what to do for kids who aren't tested and haven't heard anything back. I suspect she has no idea herself and is waiting on some sort of guidance from the state department. In a couple of previous outlier situations, we've held the meeting, checked "no" on eligibility when it asks if the evaluation was sufficiently comprehensive enough, and then stopped the meeting. Since the meeting was "started" by the deadline, it was okay to finish it later, past the deadline. I wonder if that's what we'll do here- but if that's the case, that means a whole bunch of remote meetings right now for really no reason (other than to officially say- we didn't get testing done) and absolute chaos next fall or whenever we're back. I'm holding out hope, but I doubt we'll actually be back in April.