DD19 just got home from college, and won't go back until August.... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

DD19 just got home from college, and won't go back until August....

>

Ruby07

DD19 just got home from college, and won't go back until August....
Old 03-21-2020, 01:00 PM

She's at the kitchen table, sobbing. She will be missing out on performing in the musical, and singing in the sophomore recital. She also left behind a boy that she literally JUST started dating 5 days ago. She feels terrible, because he rents half a house off-campus, and is staying there, so he'll be all alone through this whole ordeal. I'm so glad she didn't ask if she could stay and live with him!!

Her professors are being wildly unreasonable, in my opinion. For each of her performing arts classes (ballet, tap, jazz, acting and voice), she needs to submit a weekly video. Who will accompany her? Who will record her? Where will she dance? This is a small cape cod house with 4 adults living here.......there is no room, and there is no privacy. And she's obviously not the only one in a similar situation.

I feel so bad for all of the college kids (especially the seniors!).

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 03-21-2020, 01:07 PM

Yes, my heart is breaking for so many of our kids. The college years are supposed to be some of the best years of a person's life and this situation is just....awful! Let her know she is not alone and it is so healing to let her feelings out. I have two sons. One is a high school senior, the other is a first year medical school student. They were both having a wonderful school year until this hit. I have told both my boys to just take one moment at a time. We are all in this together and we will get through this. The most important thing for all of us is to stay healthy so that we can get back on track to living our lives again. Sending hugs to you both!
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Oh wow!
Old 03-21-2020, 01:29 PM

Not the hijack a thread, but

Quote:
the other is a first year medical school student.
Is his medical school still open? How are medical schools operating in a time like this? Are his medical courses now online, too?
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 03-21-2020, 01:32 PM

It is really tough on those H.S. seniors and college kids. I live where there was ash fall from Mt. St. Helens and all the affected schools closed. There were about 3 weeks of school left, so everything just ended with very little closure. Cars and roofs were damaged, people could barely go out with respirators. It really changed lives for a while.

But people pulled together and the land healed. Yes, one moment and day at a time is the way to get through.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 03-21-2020, 01:37 PM

Teacherbee,
You asked if my son's medical school is still open. This week they switched over to all online instruction. Before, it was a very hands-on program where my son was able to interact with groups of other medical students and also practice what he was learning on volunteer "patients". Now, it is all online like the rest of the schools and colleges nationwide. The third and 4th year residents have been pulled from the hospitals and are also learning their curriculum online so they are not currently in the hospitals. I asked my son if he still wants to practice medicine and he gave me the quickest, most enthusiastic yes ever. I told him to study hard because our nation is going to need these determined students!

cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 03-21-2020, 01:46 PM

My dd is right there too but with high school. It is so hard.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 03-21-2020, 02:13 PM

Can she find music or a dance group online? My dil just participated in a dance session that I think was though zoom - with hundreds of dancers all around the world. She also teaches dance, and is recording herself with her phone in her living room and posting it for her students.

There has to be way to do it and record herself. Space may be a problem, maybe outdoors or in a park? Can she contact other students and brainstorm together about how they can meet the requirements? She will have to be creative!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Old 03-21-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Teacherbee,
You asked if my son's medical school is still open. This week they switched over to all online instruction. Before, it was a very hands-on program where my son was able to interact with groups of other medical students and also practice what he was learning on volunteer "patients". Now, it is all online like the rest of the schools and colleges nationwide. The third and 4th year residents have been pulled from the hospitals and are also learning their curriculum online so they are not currently in the hospitals. I asked my son if he still wants to practice medicine and he gave me the quickest, most enthusiastic yes ever. I told him to study hard because our nation is going to need these determined students!
Thanks for sharing. I figured they went online, but I was wondering if they would, since it definitely limits their experiences.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 03-21-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
There has to be way to do it and record herself. Space may be a problem, maybe outdoors or in a park? Can she contact other students and brainstorm together about how they can meet the requirements? She will have to be creative!
Outside is out of the question for now. It's in the 20s here ! Earlier, before the travel ban, she was planning on going to a local theatre where she has performed. But that building is completely closed down, and there is no unnecessary travel. We are literally housebound.

She and her friends will talk tomorrow and try to figure something out. Thanks for the suggestions.
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

I'm right with you
Old 03-21-2020, 04:19 PM

My ex is making the 8 hour 1 way drive tomorrow to get our DD. They have a 4 hour window on Monday to pack up her dorm and get it all in his car and and hers. Then another 8 hour drive where 2 out of the 3 states have stay in place orders. It is ok for her to travel home, but it's still unnerving.

We are lucky that so far her professors and school are being great. You can take any class pass/fail, they pushed the drop date back 2 weeks, and promised no student would lose their academic scholarship based on tis semester.

Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 03-21-2020, 04:53 PM

My DD is a senior in college. I feel for her..
meandmyhouse is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 03-22-2020, 05:09 AM

Thatís a tough one. Can you clear out an area in a room for her? Ds college is starting online instruction next week, itís spring break now. They are closed the rest of the semester. He will get a date and time tomorrow for when we can get his belongings in his dorm. Heís a junior and sad. Heís good friends with some seniors and feels worse for them. The university stated they will look into doing something for graduates when itís safe.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 03-22-2020, 02:44 PM

My DD had an extended spring break and just now she and DH got home from a long road trip to retrieve belongings (14 hours drive each way). She's tired and has already had a good cry. It'll be rough but we're all I this together. She's an engineering student and her math, physics, and a lit class are online now. But no hands-on labs.

I am sorry that your DD's profs are being unreasonable. It's a tough situation. Is there an empty dance studio in town that she can go to (perhaps one she danced at when she was in high school) and set up her phone on a bench or chair to make the video? My three DD's danced throughout high school and were always welcome to visit the studio during their breaks from college. I would imagine that their now-closed studio would allow a lone person to come in and dance in a big private room.
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote