Help

Private Schools

no pay while off for Covid

>

overthemoon

no pay while off for Covid
Old 03-24-2020, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wondering if anyone who works for a private school is still getting paid even though school is out. I work for a private (religious) preschool and we are not being paid in case we don't go back and parents demand a refund of part of their tuition. We are still expected to make weekly lesson plans and activities and send them to our students. We are told we may get pay or partial pay at some point, but the board needs to see how long we are out and what happens first. The teachers are very upset at not getting support at this time. Just wondering what other schools are doing.

overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Riding4Him

Wow,
Old 03-25-2020, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I work for a private religious school. We are getting paid still and we are expected to post daily lesson plans, make videos of math and reading, grade work emailed in, and answer questions/help parents during normal school hours. We were concerned that parents may pull their kids or ask for refunds too. I had one student withdraw but his parents wanted to move close to family during this time out of state. I would document your time that you are putting in now, including helping parents and answering questions. I feel that it would be right for the school to at least pay you for your time.
Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Still Getting Paid
Old 03-26-2020, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I work at a private Christian school, and we are still getting paid. We are in the process of setting up online instruction to begin next week.
prechrswife is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

overthemoon
Old 03-27-2020, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That is so unjust!
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 04-01-2020, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The school I used to work for is paying the teachers as they are doing zoom classes, lesson planning, and grading right now. Fair pay for fair work.

Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-01-2020, 11:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My dad teaches at a private school. He is getting paid but he is also doing online learning, so he's still working. I would not keep working if there is no pay. If they want provided lessons, activities, online learning, etc. then they are still requiring teachers to work and they need to be paid for doing so. Personally, at the moment I'm putting in a lot more hours trying to figure out online learning than I did with a regular school day. You need to all band together and refuse to do the work without pay.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 04-02-2020, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I would not keep working if there is no pay. If they want provided lessons, activities, online learning, etc. then they are still requiring teachers to work and they need to be paid for doing so. Personally, at the moment I'm putting in a lot more hours trying to figure out online learning than I did with a regular school day. You need to all band together and refuse to do the work without pay.
Yup ^

I have a friend who works at a private (non-religious) preschool and they were paid for the first two weeks until our governor extended the shelter-in-place order, so now they're all collecting unemployment, but also not working since preschool isn't mandatory. The school is posting resources and activities to do on their Facebook page if parents want to do them, but it's all optional.
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 04-05-2020, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Religious school ...mandated by Archdiocese to provide quality lessons, not review. We are starting our fourth week tomorrow. We officially found out we were closed at 1:30 Friday and distance teaching Monday. We are getting paid.

I don't honestly think our budget will allow us to con't to be paid. In our Zoom staff meeting last week, P said we had some requests for tuition assistance/delay. The scheduled April payment was the last of the school year. NO child has yet withdrawn.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 04-07-2020, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm still getting paid for now and will continue to get paid as long as parents pay tuition. I meet with my class twice a week via Zoom. I have YouTube instructional videos available for them in daily playlists to teach the lessons.
tchrrx is online now   Reply With Quote