Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Loneliness

>

SoCalTeach

Loneliness
Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 PM

Ugh, I am starting to feel the isolation and loneliness. I live by myself, and of course I am quarantining at home. Besides getting out once to do grocery shopping, I haven't interacted with other people. I'm usually alone, but can go to friends' houses once in a while for a drink or dinner. Now there's no way.

I am lucky that I have good friends that check in with me every day, but the loneliness is still really bad.

SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-26-2020, 08:28 PM

I'm sorry! I think it has just been hitting me how very isolating it can be for those who live alone right now. I feel very blessed to have my kids and husband here with me (most of the time )

I hope you have some outlets- some friends are having a virtual tea party (coffee date online!). Of course chat here is always open- you can pop in and ask others to join you! There were about 7 people who cycled through chat today (that I saw).But in the meantime, I'll send you a huge virtual ((((hugs))) I'm sorry you are feeling so lonely.

ETA: I realize I never said it in my post, but I was also talking about a Zoom-type setting for a virtual tea party/coffee date! I think it really does make a difference. Whatever sort of facetime/zoom/skype situation you can do!

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 03-26-2020 at 09:02 PM..
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 03-26-2020, 08:56 PM

I'm so sorry! Do you have the ability to zoom or facetime with friends? I've found that made a HUGE difference in my stress level.

I Zoomed with two friends who live hundreds of miles away, and we all agreed that we should have been doing this even pre-pandemic.

We also got together with a group from church for prayer time, and a group of teachers from my school had virtual happy hour. We brought our own drinks to the chat and just goofed off and shared "quarantine stories" for an hour.

It's not exactly the same as being together, but I found Zoom gives some of that same "we're hanging out together" feeling that texting and FBing doesn't do.

It's worth a try!
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Here is an idea
Old 03-26-2020, 09:40 PM

Senior citizens who reside in assisted living are having to stay in their rooms right now. Maybe you could call ahead to one close by and just walk around and say hello to people through their windows. Some might be able to carry on a short conversation with you through the glass if their hearing is good enough. It would sure bring them some joy and maybe you some joy as well.

Be sure to call ahead if you decide to do this and let them know when you are coming so the people will open their blinds.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Loneliness.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:40 PM

I can imagine how hard it must be to quarantine alone. I was thinking of my first summer when I moved to this area and didn't know anyone, and I recall long stretches of time of not even speaking aloud to anyone. Quarantine is by far more difficult, of course.

Just some ideas...

I enjoyed talking with my book club friends via Zoom. We met for brunch in our jammies and chatted. Is this an option for you? I know if a colleague asked to Zoom to just say hello I'd be there in a second. I also checked in with some students and their parents on Zoom. I thought it was going to make me sad, but I was all smiles. My daughter had to stick her head into the frame, so for my dog. I let was great to be a source of cheer for them.

Next week a few of us are going to log into FB anwwd watch a new release on demand.

PM me if you would like.

WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Method3 cyber gym
Old 03-26-2020, 10:50 PM

Live classes

They donate a portion of funds collected to local businesses in the form of gift cards to local businesses that they then give to members.

You can watch a class anytime you want

I am alone and caring for my elderly dad. Joining this gym helped a lot. You can join for as little as 5 dollars and do a 21 day challenge.

I miss my friends. I miss my town. This is very difficult.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-26-2020, 11:17 PM

I also live alone and being isolated is very difficult. I even miss going to work so much- the seeing and interacting with people part. One positive of this is that I'll never take that for granted again!

I second the idea to do virtual meet ups through zoom or google hang outs. I've done that with a few friends and no, it's not quite the same as being there in person but at least you get to see and talk to someone. I'd recommend smaller groups or 1:1. The virtual thing is frustrating with large groups, IMO- it's hard to know when to talk/people end up unintentionally talking over each other. After one of our work meetings today my teammate asked if she could "zoom" just me and we ended up talking for about an hour. During school we always had coffee in my room before school started. It was nice to be able to just chat like we used to in "real" life!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 03-26-2020, 11:40 PM

Im in Midcal. Id love to pm as well. Im lonely too.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-27-2020, 05:43 AM

Okay, this is weird. I live alone and like it, and Im feeling quite socialized because I walk a lot. With gyms closed and WFH, lots of people here are walking. And they want to talk! Ive had great safe (6+ feet) conversations with friends and strangers. At first I thought this was really odd, but now I see it as healthy human coping. Try it!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 03-27-2020, 06:07 AM

I also agree with Amiga and taking daily walks. I have been taking my 8 year old ds on a walk every day. We've been walking all around our town. We run into friends from his school and they speak to each other safely from a distance. It's good for both him and me.

Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 03-27-2020, 07:17 AM

My school just had a parade through our student neighborhoods yesterday. We began in our school parking lot. It was great to see all the teachers and visit from the safe distance from our vehicles or from 6 ft apart. It was truly wonderful once the parade began. I knew I would enjoy seeing all the kiddos but I didn't really realize the impact until I was going through the parade route and seeing the kids who were waiting and anticipating our arrival with handmade signs. They were waving and smiling and so very excited to see us. And SO were the parents! A lady who owns a "Card Your Yard" business has 2 sons who attend our school and when our parade passed a park, she had installed a sign that said "We our teachers" . Wow! Wasn't expecting that! Everyone followed the rules and stayed safe but it warmed my heart.
I know this is an extreme example, but maybe your school could do a parade as well. I've seen on social media many schools doing them and the students and parents all respond very positively. All teachers and staff stay in their own vehicle and students and parents stay in their own space and so all is safe.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 03-27-2020, 08:40 AM

I'm sincerely sorry and I can understand how you feel. It's great that you have friends and you all check in with each other. Although I have zero friends, I do have a fiance' who currently lives with me and my Mom who I talk with by phone 1-2 times a day. I'm used to that. I'm an only child, so I guess I'm more used to solitude. I've never been a part of a group of friends in my life, so I don't even know what that feels like.

Nevertheless, now's the time for nice strolls outside while breathing in deeply (which we can still do these days), maybe treat yourself to some takeout food sometimes, meditate, take up solitary hobbies (art, meditation, research about health, cooking, home decor, learn a language, get in better shape, learn about travel so when we can travel again you know where to go, etc.) REgarding what 1956BD said, it isn't advised to visit elderly facilities, but I definitely understand her sentiment and goodwill.

There are actually a few people I email with back and forth who I've "met" on other discussion boards. It's helped to chat with them!

Do you love dogs? Seriously think about getting a dog to help you through this time. They truly enhance life too. I know, I had a dog I loved and spoiled.

I can stay at home and never really be bored and can't recall a time in the past when I have been. Give me some good food and TV/movies I'll be as happy as a clam! Plus, I can be on the computer all day looking at interesting informative things.

Now's the time to truly enjoy the simple things in life. I don't know how many people do that, but this coronavirus time of staying indoors as much as possible will really show people if they, that's for sure!

I hope things improve for you!
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Another walker
Old 03-27-2020, 11:13 AM

I agree with Amiga and Jackie about getting out to walk. My dog and I walk daily throughout my neighborhood and local park, always keeping a safe distance from everyone else. It's so pleasant to see others out and about, say good morning, and sometimes stop to chat a bit. I see people are being careful, too, which is encouraging. And the exercise helps me relax in these tense times.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 03-27-2020, 03:15 PM

Can you go for walks, hikes, bike rides, etc.? That may really help and could give you a chance to see others outdoors at a safe distance!

Bless you because I am sure being alone does create incredible loneliness.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-27-2020, 03:25 PM

Your experience is similar to what I first felt when I retired. I'm sorry this shutdown is tough for you and think that the previous advice is great. I have done a lot for my home and yards and am developing some hobbies too. I hope it gets better for you very soon.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 03-27-2020, 04:24 PM

Wouldnt it be cool if we held a weekly PT video chat on zoom or another platform? That might help ease some of the loneliness that some people are feeling, it would also be cool to be able to meet some of you in our new version of real life.

Just an idea- Im not volunteering to organize it, but throwing the idea out there.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote