Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Rehearsal Dinner Question

>

SeaGlass

Rehearsal Dinner Question
Old 07-14-2008, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My MIL and I are having a discussion. My husband and I are hosting a rehearsal dinner for my son and his fiancee. I haven't done any inviting yet(we have over a month to go). It will be at a casual restaurant in town. Here is the question:

Do we invite the bridesmaid's boyfriends/husbands and the usher's girlfriends/wives to dine with us even tho they are not in the wedding? One of the usher/bridesmaid is already a couple. I say yes because some of them are from out of town and their SO would be alone if they don't go to eat with us. I just don't know.

My MIL says we should NOT do that because its JUST for the wedding party and parents and of course GRANDPARENTS!

cardinallady

Up to You
Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it is completely up to you and your husband, especially if you are the ones paying for it. I don't see a problem with it.

DaisyGirl94

Old 07-14-2008, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got married last summer and when my inlaws invited people to the rehearsal dinner, every member of the wedding party plus their significant other (married or not) were invited to the party. We were not really on a budget and space was not a problem so it didn't really matter. I think the wedding party was more relaxed having someone there that they knew and was comfortable with!!! Good luck with the rest of the planning!!

Daisy

curlygirl2

Yes, invite them
Old 07-14-2008, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is kind of rude NOT to invite them. That's just my opinion. If it is casual you don't need to make an announcement perhaps to invites the significant others, but if they ask you can tell them. Or make it known. Up to you, but I wouldn't want to go without my significant other. For the wedding are you also inviting boyfriends/girlfriends? If so, I think you should follow suit for the RD.

Have fun!

lmn

Rehearsal dinner
Old 07-14-2008, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you are hosting the dinner, you may invite anyone you want. I think it is very thoughtful and generous of you to think of others' SO, and how they might be alone if not invited. There is no hard and fast rule about who can or can't be invited. It's your party.

sambrolaw

Old 07-14-2008, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
If you are hosting the dinner, you may invite anyone you want.

I agree! My boyfriend's best friend is getting married in a couple of weeks and since he is not a groomsman (just brothers), he is inviting my boyfriend and I to the rehearsal dinner. I think you can invite whomever you'd like to.

Chick

Rehearsal Dinner
Old 07-14-2008, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think from all I've read, it is up to you. Having just gone through a wedding with one of my friends (from the elite side of town), they invited everybody...significant others, all immediate family (aunts, uncles, 1st cousins..), and close family friends..to the rehearsal dinner. I, too, feel it will make the bridesmaids and ushers feel more at ease, especially those who are married.

tweet

guest list
Old 07-14-2008, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As you are the hosts, the guest list is up to you. Two summers ago when my DS got married, I invited the wedding party plus guests for the single ones, grandparents, the preacher and wife (who did not attend, but when I married my preacher and wife DID come), immediate family members and some out-of-town guests as well. My uncle played the piano at the reception, but not the wedding per church requirements--only their hired organist could use the organ. He and my aunt came to the rehearsal dinner. My DH and I were paying for it, so I invited who I wanted to.

rhubarb

significant other POV
Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If you are hosting aka paying for the rehearsal dinner then MIL's opinion gets nixed. If I were the spouse/friend of someone in the bridal party/ushers I would be appalled if I were not invited.

MIL is wrong.

Mandamay

Definitely invite
Old 07-14-2008, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would say due to several of them being from out of town, you should invite them. I got married last year and all of my family and my husband's family are from out of state. We invited anyone who was from out of state. I think of it like this...if the person in the wedding is at a nice dinner, what is the girlfriend/wife doing for dinner? Sitting at the hotel? Trying to find somewhere to eat in an unfamiliar city? I also worried about a lot of them who traveled so far having the expense of yet another meal. I have also been in or involved in half a dozen weddings...the boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife has always been invited. But, ultimately it is up to you!

bookgeek59

When I got married last year
Old 07-14-2008, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We had what we called a "family dinner" since not all members of both immediate families had met yet. We also called it a family dinner bc ours was a brief, informal ceremony that didn't need a big rehearsal. We just had a 10 minute run-through the morning of the wedding.

We invited boyfriends and girlfriends bc most couples had been together pretty long term. As a matter of fact, since my wedding 2 of the couples are now engaged. I'm glad to hear you're doing it at a casual restaurant. You should be able to relax and enjoy the intimacy of this meal. We opted for an awesome family owned Italian place that does homemade EVERYTHING. My husband and I both cook well so we each made a couple desserts that are family favorites. If you can't talk chocolate, after all, there's a problem.

Enjoy the planning, and invite who you and the happy couple would like to spend the evening with.

Krissy

Invite them
Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We invited the entire bridal party plus their significant others. It is just proper etiquette. Plus, the guests of the bridal party are most likely going to be attending the wedding as well.

TLC

grandma is mistaken
Old 07-14-2008, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You should invite their significant other or your dinner party will be short lived. Everyone will escape as soon as possible.
I also invited all family that was in from out of town, pastor and wife, organist and husband, parents of ring bearer and flower girl.
But really, this is YOUR party and you may invite whomever you please.
It is a celebration of the joining of two people, and ultimately two families. You get to make the rules!

Roxi

I agree with TLC
Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Make your own rules. That being said......Any I have been to, including mine, included an invitation to all involved in the wedding (bridesmaids, groomsmen, pastor, director, musicians, flower girl, etc.), out of town guests, and any honored guests and their dates/spouses.

Try to think about...Those spouses from out of town would be doing what during the dinner if they weren't invited?

Let us know what you decide & how it goes.

books4me

Old 07-14-2008, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We were on a budget. We did invite everyone, but we did indicate that we would pay for the wedding party and would appreciate others paying for their own. It was not a problem and they were good about it.

hljg

once upon a time.....
Old 07-14-2008, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

you invited all out of town guests (wedding party, family, etc.) Now you can invite who you want. With that being said......you should invite all SO of the wedding party---out of town or not---. Go with what you think is right.

p.s. I'm sort of an etiquette buff....I have OCD issues when it comes to what a person does in certain situations!!!! My family LOVES this about me!

FancyFish

Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Since you are hosting the dinner, invite whomever you want. I think that since some of the significant others are from out of town, it would be a nice gesture to include all of them, if it is feasible.

SunGirl

Rehearsal dinner
Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

The tradition in my family, and our close family friends, is to invite all the wedding party and their families, and we also invite family who is coming from out of town, and our close family friends. The rehearsal and rehearsal dinner turns into such a fun time, and it starts the whole wedding off in a great way! In fact, we were just retelling a great wedding rehearsal dinner story, from 3 years ago, last night.

Keeks44

Old 07-14-2008, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

For our rehearsal dinner we invited out of town guests, parents, grandparents, bridal party and their dates.

Ultimately it's your choice. Have you asked your son & soon to be DIL what they think?

I've been to rehearsals with a few people and ones that are similar size to the wedding. It all depends on what you want to do. Good luck! MILs are fun.

vateacher

Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding this August and I can say that it would make things harder for me if my boyfriend were not invited to the rehearsal dinner. Especially since we're coming in from out of town and he would be left to his own devices that evening. Everything I've gotten has been an invitation to me plus one guest. I would think it would be awkward otherwise. Anyway since you feel that it's appropriate to invite the significant others, you should do it and not worry about what MIL says. I just think it's proper etiquette. Congratulations on your son's upcoming wedding!

tharp18

rehearsal dinner
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I will be celebrating my one year anniversary next week. My in-laws threw our rehearsal dinner and they did invite boyfriends/girlfriends. I think that it makes everyone feel more at ease. I will be attending a rehearsal dinner next week and my husband is invited. I think that most people expect it to be done that way. Hope this helps. Good luck!

catlover76

Rehearsal dinner
Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

My sister got married last Saturday and her in-laws had the wedding party plus the significant others attend the dinner. I was in a friend's wedding a long time ago and my husband was not invited to the rehearsal dinner and I thought that was rude. That's just my opinion, though. I think it's nice to have the significant others to attend, but you do what you want to do. It's your decision.

SeaGlass

Thank you!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

We wanted to invite Significant Others and some other family but wanted to make sure we were feeling the way many of you feel. I always 2nd guess myself on these matters with the MIL. Thanks for the help!

Ima Teacher

Old 07-14-2008, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

We had the wedding party, our parents, and any spouses and children.

teachnkids

Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I would say the SOs should be included. When DD was a flower girl we were not in the wedding, but were included in the rehearsal dinner. I think that I would invite the bridal party and SOs plus if you are able any other out of town guests that might already be in town. Of course this may bite me in the butt when I'm doing this for my DS as we are the only ones of my family that live in NC, so ALL family and many friends would be out of town guests!!!

jbug

We did....
Old 07-15-2008, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

We invited the wedding party and guest, whether it was spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend. We also asked them to RSVP just so we wouldn't have food for 75 and only 45 came. Ended up, we paid for 50 and had about 43 or so.

We also invited grandparents, and family of those in the wedding party that were relatives (if that makes sense).

Hope you have a wonderful time!