Help

ARCHIVE

What to do with graded papers..

>

momof2cuties

What to do with graded papers..
Old 07-16-2008, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need a new system for grading/handing back papers. I have done a Friday folder, but it becomes hard to manage. I teach 2nd so the beginning of the year my students don't have a lot of papers to take home, but as the year progresses they do.

momof2cuties is offline   Reply With Quote

cre8tive_tchr

here's my plan
Old 07-16-2008, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I send home everything on Monday. On Mondays parents receive a stapled packet of all of the tests/graded assignments from the previous week, my newsletter, homework packet, and spelling list. They know to look for the on Mondays so they don't get lost. I like having the weekend to finish any grading, etc.
cre8tive_tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

jbug

I try
Old 07-16-2008, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

to send home graded papers as soon as I get them graded. As a parent, I would like to see my child's graded papers more often than once a week. So..... as a teacher, I grade every day. The following day when I sign the students folders, I give them their graded work and also take up assignments they have finished the current day. Anything that is not finished, I highlight in their planner so that parents know that is homework.

I am thinking about tweeking (sp?) it this year because it does take quite awhile for the 'process'. It is also more work on my part, but if I have it done, it makes me a 'happy camper'!
jbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

Old 07-16-2008, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I grade the papers and then put them in the mailboxes. Before we pack up each day I take one student's mailbox contents and quickly go over what is in there. Some days the kids had more "mail" than on other days. This last year my class was pretty good about emptying book bags and folders each night.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

mailboxes and folders
Old 07-16-2008, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My students have mailboxes. I have two students who put mail in the mailboxes every day when we do jobs at the end of the day. Sometimes they fall behind and we pass them out. We have a folder that the kids take home every night with their papers in it. We also put any completed classwork in the same folder. This is a different folder than their homework goes home in so that there is no conufsion.

School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

New Mex Teacher

Friday folder
Old 07-16-2008, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use a Friday folder. During the week I file graded papers into hanging files for each student. Then on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning, I put everything into the students' folders along with my weekly newsletter. There is also a place on the folder for parent comment/questions and signature. Our school has a 5th grade leadership club (I teach 4th), and sometimes they will help with the filing and stuffing. It works for me. I use to try to send home things every day, but I found with that sometimes the papers didn't make it home. This way the parents know to expect the folder, and I know they've seen it with the signature.
New Mex Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kpl

I send them
Old 07-16-2008, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

as I grade them. I use a FROG book and it has a 2 pocket divider. One side is for homework and the other side is for work to keep at home. I generally pass it out before the kids come in and they put it in the appropriate pocket.
kpl is offline   Reply With Quote

TuesdayBear

Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I taught primary, I graded every day and put their papers in their cubbies to go home. I know my parents liked getting papers more often than once a week.

If you don't have cubbies or mailboxes, you could just set their papers on their desks. In fourth grade, where I've got more students and more papers per student, I just put all their papers in a tub, and the VIP for the day passes them out with a partner. The only exception to this is that I pass tests and essays out individually to each student
TuesdayBear is offline   Reply With Quote

momof2cuties

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Wow! Thank you for the great ideas! I have a PIRATE notebook that students take home each evening. I think I will include a "take-home" folder so children can place homework and graded papers in to take home each evening.

manateach2

Daily
Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I try to grade and hand back papers by the next day. I tell parents to check bookbags daily... Do they? Not all, but I tell them anyway. As a parent, I wanted to know how my child was doing daily. If he had a problem on anything, we were able to work on it immediately.

manateach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

we have a school wide Friday folder so parents know to look for everything on Fridays.

I grade papers and put them in a specific bin to be filed. The office just places all papers that are to go home in the Friday folder in the same bin. I file everything in hanging file folders and then send them home on Fridays.
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

lov2teach2

kpl
Old 07-16-2008, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Can see what your FROG book is and what you put into it. I am doing a FROG theme this year and would like to have my students organize their stuff. Thanks

I also grade and keep there work in a mailbox and they take it and put it in there Friday Folders.
lov2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

volstate

Old 07-16-2008, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Each student has a number and places this number on any work they turn in including tests. When work is graded, it goes in a " To Be Filed" basket. I have student helpers that file these papers which go to the students' mail slot. Tests I file. On Mondays, these same helpers will take the papers out and place in the take up folders.
volstate is offline   Reply With Quote

BBrock

fifth grade teacher
Old 07-16-2008, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have a friday folder as well. Homework however, gets handed back the next day. I keep tests, quizzes and projects in their file folders until the end of the year.
BBrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleopatra

Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I personally correct everything on Fridays and over the weekend, since I do have 33 kids. All their work is in 2 spiral notebooks. One for Language Arts, the other for Math. Nothing goes home to stay as far as I'm concerned. I keep all the spiral notebooks even when they're done, as evidence of stu. work.

If you will send home corrected work, just remember to keep a sample of things you would like to share with a parent if they do come in for a meeting or for any other purpose.
A math test sample.
A writing sample.
A grammar paper.
Comprehension answers.
Vocabulary papers.
Poetry.
etc.
These come in especially handy for Parent/ Teacher conferences.
Cleopatra is offline   Reply With Quote

mariners

papers
Old 07-16-2008, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I put all papers, things from the school, etc. in a wire file box for the week. On the afternoon that our weekly folders go home, my kids pass out all of the papers and then they stuff their folder. This works for my fourth graders but when I taught younger kids, I had a wonderful parent volunteer who would come in during my PE break on folder day and organize and stuff all of my folders. She was worth her weight in gold!!!
mariners is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

Old 07-16-2008, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

What do y'all do about the students who throw papers away without ever taking them home? (This might another topic altogether.) I have them put it in their homework folder, but after they are all gone I find papers in the garbage.
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote

momof2cuties

On another note...
Old 07-16-2008, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I have noticed several have indicated the students pass back the graded papers. I always pass all of my papers back myself (which can be time consuming) because I was afraid another student may feel uncomfortable for another student to see his/her grade on an assignment. Do you have specific children pass back the papers or choose them randomly. If I did not have to pass back all of the papers myself that would solve a lot of the problem.

volstate

Old 07-16-2008, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

In response to the PP, I have two filers that do that job the entire year. Part of the requirement is being someone who won't go around telling people if someone had difficulty with something. Then again, I don't grade every single assignment for accuracy either. Many are completed and given a grade for completion as I don't believe in grading until students have practiced several times. Tests are filed by me because I think these grades should be private.
volstate is offline   Reply With Quote