Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

lower back pain

>

NiCole80

lower back pain
Old 09-24-2011, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My lower back hurts so bad every morning when I wake up. Some days it is so bad I barely can move. Usually it will be ok after I take a bath. The other day I fell and since then it hurts more. I thought it was because I had 2 c-sections and never really got back in shape. Every once in a while, I can feel a pinch when I am carrying my 6 month old in his car seat or when I am putting my 3 year old in his car seat. Any suggestions on how to make it better? Also what are some good winter shoes. I think some of the problem may be too the shoes I wear.

kerrysgirl

Try a pair of arch supports
Old 09-24-2011, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

for a few days in your regular shoes. I've found that when my feet are supported, my lower back hurts less. You could put a pillow under your knees at night to see if that helps. Heating pads and ibuprophen help a lot, too. (I have degenerative disc disease in three of my discs, so I try lots of things to alleviate the pain...) Also, if the pain continues, please go see a doctor. You could have anything from a strained muscle to disc problems...Do be careful!

readwithme

Old 09-24-2011, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ouch, I know the feeling. I lived with that for years until we recently bought a new matteress and I haven't had any back pain since. Bought a number 3 firmness and a sheep wool mattress topper to add softness to the firm mattress. It has worked perfectly. Never knew an out of shape mattress could cause so much pain.

goteachmath

Old 09-24-2011, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was also going to suggest looking at your mattress. Another thing to consider is to try sleeping with a pillow between your knees. I started doing that a few months ago and rarely do I wake up with a back ache anymore.

1956BD

Lower Back Experience
Old 09-24-2011, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As the belly grows, the muscles stretch and expand. This usually causes a person to walk with a hyper extended back to compensate for the extra weight thrown forward on a body. That means the lower back muscles contract. This causes back pain.

The lower back muscles need to be stretched out. I like to do this by lying on my back on the floor. Then I slowly pull one knee at a time to my chest. Don't bounce, jut hold your knee for a long static stretch. Then do the other leg as well.

When you stand make an effort to not hyper extend the lower back. Think about keeping your tail bone pointing down straight. Don't allow your pelvis to tilt. Think of your hip bones as headlights. The lights need to shine forward, not angle downward.

You can also use a chair to stretch your lower back if getting on the floor is too difficult. Raise one foot and place it on the seat of the chair. Then if you can pull you knee to your chest and hold it there for a long stretch. Then do the other leg as well.

Hope your back is better soon.

kindygirl

i can relate
Old 09-24-2011, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

i've had lower back pain my whole life. the best relief i got was going to a great chiropractor. he is very gentle and it really helps. also massage. check out your insurance.....ours pays for chiro visits and 60 massages a year. i also agree with the other posts - it could have to do with your mattress. for me, a softer mattress is better. if it is too hard or firm, my back kills me in the morning. i sit with a heating pad on my back in the evening and sometimes when i get up in the morning. that helps too.

linger

Are you a
Old 09-24-2011, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Stomach Sleeper? I LOVE sleeping on my stomach--I wake up there no matter how I go to sleep! However, it it TERRIBLE for my lower back!!! I had horrible lower-back issues for many years, and I finally figured out a way to sleep with a pillow under my knees or between my knees and this helped me not shift over to my stomach.

Also, pilates helped a bunch, too--stronger core=less back pain.

Good luck!

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-24-2011, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think supportive shoes are a great idea. You might also try a chiropractor, a professional massage, working out at the gym (especially strength training) and/or swimming.

Nancy

eteach94

Old 09-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Maybe you have arthritis in your back. I would ask your doctor. I found out that was my problem.