Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What am I doing wrong? Frustrated.

>

Claire

What am I doing wrong? Frustrated.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:18 PM

I am entering week 4 of working out 6 days a week with my friend. The first week I dropped 4 lbs, then since then, nothing. Just the same fluctuating couple of pounds. I am watching what I eat and staying within my calories on Sparkpeople.

We do cardio and weights. We started the first week with 20 minutes of cardio (all we could do) and we are now doing 45. We do arms one day, legs one day, and core one day and just follow the pattern.

I can see and feel that my muscles are changing. Especially my butt and thighs look so much better. I can tell in my arms and back too.

I know I am gaining muscle, because I didn't have much before , but shouldn't I be losing by now???? I'm working so hard and feel tons better but when is the fat going to start coming off?

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Eating
Old 07-02-2017, 12:28 PM

Are you eating enough? A friend of mine couldnt and lose weight because she wasn't eating enough. Her body was in starvation mode and held onto all of her food.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Workout
Old 07-02-2017, 12:29 PM

Oh and congratulations on the progress that you have made. I haven't seen any progress other than not being as winded when I run.

Last edited by Savvy; 07-02-2017 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Hate this phone. It changes my words!
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-02-2017, 12:32 PM

My Sparkpeople tells me to stay between 1200 to 1500 a day. Does that sound right? I've been cutting a lot of carbs too.

amiga13

Old 07-02-2017, 12:49 PM

I am guessing, of course, but I can't lose on 1500 a day. I must have 1200 or less AND exercise to lose 1-2 lbs per 1-2 weeks. I'm a slow loser, so not a motivator.

I don't know Sparkpeople. I use MyFitnessPal (which is probably the same thing). I have lost 26 lbs and give MFP full credit for the last 10. I was super stuck. I now realize that I wasn't being honest about what I ate. With MFP, I am forced to be honest about exercise minutes and every morsel I eat. I guarantee that it will work if you are honest about inputting food and exercise and staying below your limit. I'm in maintainance now and my calorie allotment is 1420 before exercise. I walk about 90 minutes a day so that cuts 200-300 calories. I love MFP and am so happy with my weight. However, I think I'll be recording for the rest of my life so I can stay honest and thin.

Good luck to you. Record every bite. Don't put it in your mouth unless you record it.

P.S. Claire, thanks for getting my beach humor.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Old 07-02-2017, 01:04 PM

You can change your goals on Sparkpeople. I switched to the diabetic diet when I was told that that I was pre-diabetic. My diet is more plant based, with less carbs and very little sugar. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months and have kept it off, even though I've heated some in the last couple of months. I still journal my food every day, but I eat things that are not in my plan.
It could be that you are eating too many carbs. If you replace some of those carbs with plant based foods, and eat the same number of calories, you might be more likely to lose weight. You also need to eat protein so you don't lose muscle instead of fat.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 07-02-2017, 01:40 PM

How many calories a day are you eating? Like Amiga, I can only lose if I stay around 1300 calories. I also need to make sure I weigh my food. I was using the serving size on prepackaged items, but that was not very accurate. For example, one slice of bread was supposed to be 80 calories a slice (or for 34g). I weighed each slice I had and one slice was 40 grams and the other was 42g. So my pieces of bread were over 90 calories each. Little things like that can add up and make the difference between a calorie deficit and a calorie surplus. Also, measuring your food using measuring cups and tablespoons can be inaccurate, especially with calorie dense foods like peanut butter! This is a great video to illustrate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

As long as you are creating a calorie deficit you will lose weight - the amount depends on the deficit. (unless of course you have some type of metabolic issue like PCOS)

Are your muscles sore? If your muscles are sore, then they are retaining water to help themselves heal. A lot of times this can mask weight loss.

I am sure you are toning your muscles and may be gaining a little muscle mass, but it is nearly impossible to gain much muscle mass unless you are in a calorie surplus.

As far as starvation mode - that is a myth. Your body will not hold onto the food you eat if you are in a calorie deficit. This has been proven in many, many studies! Eating less can slow the rate of weight loss and your body will burn less calories, but your body will not stop losing weight if you are in a calorie deficit. Think about people with anorexia or people who starved in concentration camps - their body certainly did not hold onto the fat!

Also in a calorie deficit carbs do not matter for weight loss (UNLESS you have a medical issue like diabetes or PCOS, etc). Your body will not store the extra sugar as fat because your body needs that as energy in a calorie deficit.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Ive read that
Old 07-02-2017, 02:56 PM

muscle weighs more than fat. If you are gaining muscle, changing shape, and feeling better, the pounds will take care of themselves.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Muscle Vs. Fat
Old 07-02-2017, 03:04 PM

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, it is more dense, so it takes up less space. One pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat. A person with more muscle can appear thinner/more toned, but in actuality weigh more than a person with less muscle.

It is also very difficult to actually "build" muscle in a calorie deficit.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/36...lorie-deficit/
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Claire

Old 07-02-2017, 03:21 PM

Uggggg.... Well, most days I have been coming in around 1100-1200 calories. I have only gone to the 1500 one day when we went out to eat.

I don't know. I am frustrated. I know when I used to do weight watchers they said you wouldn't lose if you didn't eat enough. On my app it says I have a calorie deficit every day. Usually a pretty big one like 900 or so calories. I just don't get it.

I am 40 and my metabolism probably isn't the best I'm sure. I'm also on a couple of meds and I know one of them is infamous for gaining weight, but I actually weaned off of that one a couple of weeks ago. There are just so many different theories you read. Cut carbs, don't cut carbs. Less fat, more fat. I eat a lot of veggies already. I do eat meat for protein although I'm not a huge meat eater.

Maybe I'm not drinking enough water. I have been consistently sore but that is just because I think I went from not working out at all to working out every day.

I sure do know the fat/muscle thing well. My dd is an athlete and she is strong and you would never guess what her weight is by looking at her. I wish I looked like her, except my pounds are fat and not muscle. lol

choppie70

Old 07-02-2017, 03:32 PM

It is confusing and frustrating! I don't want to come off as a know it all, but there are SO many diet myths that are just thrown around and it just adds to the frustration. I have spent so much time reading and learning about weight loss on my journey and have learned that there is so much information out there and a lot of it is contradictory!

If you are constantly sore, I am betting that your water retention in your muscles is masking any weight loss! Water retention can account for as much as 10 lbs!

Also, women tend to retain water due to hormones around ovulation and shark week. That can hide your weight loss as well.

I also take measurements along with weighing myself. It helps so much when I see I may have lost an inch around my waist even though I didn't lose a lb.

Keep at it! If you feel better and are seeing changes in your body, that is what matters!

SassyTeach

My journey
Old 07-02-2017, 03:38 PM

I didn't lose a lot of weight until I did the Whole30. I dropped 13 pounds doing that. Since then, I've lost another 3, and all I'm doing is eating cleaner, no sugar (or very, very limited), small portions. I still have about 7 pounds to go, but the scale hadn't moved much AT ALL until I did the Whole30.

Good luck!!
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

choppie
Old 07-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Muscle does not weigh more than fat, it is more dense, so it takes up less space. One pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat. A person with more muscle can appear thinner/more toned, but in actuality weigh more than a person with less muscle.
choppie, thank you!!! I don't know why this myth persists--it drives me crazy!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

chronicfun

every body is so different
Old 07-02-2017, 05:22 PM

My suggestion would be to mix it up a bit. Eat more for a day or 2 and then go back to 1500 for a couple. I've done this before and it worked for me for whatever reason.

One thing I've learned is that weight loss is never linear. With all of the extra work you're doing you need more calories. It's worth a shot.Plateaus suck!
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-02-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Plateaus suck!
Oh, yes!!!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

chronicfun

here's a very interesting article
Old 07-02-2017, 05:37 PM

It's current and makes sense. It's a bit long but well worth the read. Starvation mode is real but not as prevalent as we think. Take a mini break and then go back to your diet is my take away.

https://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-02-2017, 05:42 PM

Thanks y'all! It would be so easy to throw in the towel not seeing the results I want but I will keep going. This fat can't hang on forever.

chanrowl

Old 07-02-2017, 06:49 PM

Are you getting in enough protein? That's really key particularly when adding in focused workouts for weightloss. Do make sure you're eating enough calories and all of them. Many times when we're getting 1300, we think that if we only eat 1100, we'll lose even faster. Not the case! Eat all of your recommended, making sure you have a good balance of protein. Don't forget your diet is like 80% of what gives you weighloss with exercise only factoring in at 20%.

I hesitate to offer it, but I know that doing intermittent fasting gives results. My only hesitation is some people then equate this with starving themselves which is not how it works. Another alternative, similar to intermittent fasting, is eating your recommended calories a day (says 1200) on Sun, Mon, Tues, and on Wed, Thurs, Fri, bump it up to 1500+ and then return to the norm back again on Sat. You're basically confusing your body with your input, therefore it doesn't get used to what you're putting in. I can say it works, I've done it for several weeks. Way better than the fasting as you aren't going any day without a full meal.
chanrowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-02-2017, 06:50 PM

I think this week in going to really try to up my water intake and protein. We'll see what that does. I might try to vary my calories too. The U.S. for the suggestions y'all.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-02-2017, 07:55 PM

4 pounds in 4 weeks is still great! Have you tried changing up your exercise routine? When your body gets used to doing the same thing for a long period of time your metabolism can slow down. Something as simple as doing the strength training in a different order can make a difference, or doing a different type of cardio for a week or two then going to back to your former routine can help.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

Claire
Old 07-03-2017, 07:26 AM

What worked for me...I cut out carbs and processed foods. Also, have you had any blood work done? Blood sugar or thyroid problems will hinder weight loss.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Thanks
Old 07-03-2017, 09:19 AM

I have to go a a checkup in a month to check my bp meds, so I will request some blood work too just to see. I went to zumba this morning. Trying to change it up a little.